• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ontario Knife Company

OK fellas, my package arrived today. Here's the SP8...

The sheath is a leather/nylon combo and is extremely well built...

Front snaps open for easy removal or re-entry...

The blade can also be drawn/replaced through the top without unsnapping the front...

The flat, edged tip...

...and the 1/4" thick blade...

This sucker is STOUT! I've got some yard work to do this weekend and will have a chance to put it to work...

...and here's the RAK...

The nylon sheath has a kydex insert surrounding the blade and a front pouch for a sharpening stone, fire starter, etc...

...and the back side is MOLLE compatible...

Only thing I regret is that I waited so long to buy it...

right on, should sail through the brush

The knife is really cool, the sheaths on them are nice and not just to get them out the door

right on, should sail through the brush

The knife is really cool, the sheaths on them are nice and not just to get them out the door

Yes Sir it should.

Only time will tell, but the sheaths seem to be tough as hell...

...and here's the RAK after I removed the scales and chord wrapped the handle...

The wrap is nice & tight and I like the feel a lot better than the factory scales...

Used 12' total length for the wrap. Left a wrist loop with an extra braid at the end...

The extra braid will give me four feet to use if needed before having to pull from the handle wrap...

Both of those are effing awesome. The para cord is a nice addition over the scales too. Good call. Yea LES I'm most likely going with the USMC version I think. However.........

ontario1fts%20LG.JPG

This was the Army trial version that wasn't ultimately selected. I'm finding out it was only available to the civilian world in very limited numbers and are now discontinued. I'm a sucker for tanto shaped blades so I might have to keep my eye out for one of these on the used market or if someone has NOS possibly. Essentially almost the same features as the USMC selection just with a tanto shape blade and the color is more tan than coyote brown. Known as the OKC-1FTS. Alternatively instead of M9 theres also the tan M10 that would suffice but I think I like this USMC and Army trial type better. I'd be happy with any of them most likely.

Last edited:
The tanto point is a nice departure from the traditional look. Either way looks like you can't go wrong...

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=9543&tabid=548

Sheeeit I know what one of my next expenditures will be soon. The more I think about it I really like the way this looks. Even though the Army passed on this it should still be a very functional piece. Ontario doesn't produce crap from what I can tell. I don't like that special order part in the USCAV dot com description. I'm hoping if I try to order it they actually can still get it. Never ordered anything from there. Anyone know if they are good to go?

Nice bayonet @SHOOTER13 .

Looks great on the 'A1...

Great looking blades.

LES, if you remember a while back, we had a long discussion about carry laws in TN. Now that the law in TN has changed, I may consider strapping one of those to the side of my boat seat. :cool:

What type of metal is it?

I am also seriously considering:
http://www.estwing.com/ao_black_eagle_double_bit_axe_black.php

Yes Sir, it'd make a fine addition to the boat load-out.

Both are 1095 carbon steel. The RAK is at 53-55 HRC and the SP8 is at 53-58 HRC...

Ranger Knives were made by Justin Gingrich and had good publicity on Bladeforums even before Ontario Knives bought up the brand. This is one I got from Justin several years ago. Today it would be called a Night Stalker 7, though back then it didn't have a name. I have carried it on some winter-time off-trail bushwacking trips. Even after chopping downed wood with it the finish holds up surprisingly well...just kind of smooths out near the edge.

rangerknife001_zps8143942c.jpg

@LAZY EYED SNIPER have you tried that RAK with a magnesium or other steel type fire striker? reason i ask is because i love my Buck for scraping and striking. my ka-bar and ontario fighting knives are too long. the extra blade length makes them unwieldly for the task. i really like the look of the RAK but dont want to get one if it wont work for its intended purpose. i want a dedicated SHTF knife. and will take a RAT 3 if necessary.

I haven't tried it with a fire starter, but I find the weight very well balanced and wouldn't consider it unwieldy by any means. At just over 10.5 oz it's rather light for its size. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues performing a wide range of tasks with the RAK. I bought it just for the purpose you're trying to fill, as an all-around utility/defensive knife. I'll take it into the woods on backpacking trips in the fall once the weather turns...

The rak has a strange handle but If it fits your hands I guess it is ok.

I have a spec 8. It is a regular for cleaning up firewood and cutting poles from saplings. Much handier than an axe. I might someday take it on a car trip or boat ride, but it is a little too heavy for carrying on the belt. A little pricy, with much of the cost probably for the trick sheath that is annoying and the ``saw`` back which I find useless. Plan to get a standard nylon machete sheath.

Even with its faults and high price, its a keeper. I like it so much I hope to find a blacksmith to make me one for the other house--2 inches longer, no saw back, but the same 1/4 inch blade. When you chop with this puppy, you know you are chopping.

Back