• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range Time Targets, what do you use?

Not that risky really but about two inches on each side of those welds are no longer AR500 strength though and will show damage and possibly be more risky due to the steel that will chip from those areas.
Same thing when you cut gongs from a plate with a torch or plasma cutter. I water jet is really the only way to preserve the strength
AR500 is the safest steel to shoot because the hardness disintegrates the bullets and splays it out at a 20 degree radius. It gets riskier the more dimpled a plate gets

the test piece I did showed no visible damage from 10 yard shots with a .45. these will be strictly rifle targets at a minimum 100 yard distance though.

that's good, no offence but a 45 dosent have what it takes to even dent T1 with the big slug only going 800fps tops.....hit it with a rifle. Research the subject , I speak the truth from experience

either way it will still be fun and well worth your time. Maybe your weld will be "cool" enough that it will hardly affect it

I'm boring. Cheap green targets at Walmart. Local range only. Perhaps HI will allow me to shoot in my backyard...

HA!

OK, I read the Q&A at the bottom of the WalMart link and it looks like a 10 pack.

Still expensive though considering I buy 'em by the 100ct for $30...

I pay about $7 for 10. I have bad eyes so I don't do well with paper plates past about 20 yards, so I just use silhouettes.

Last I got some was eBay. 20 bucks for 100 shipped. And I use paper plates a lot too. Cant beat em for the price.

Good deal.

Hard to find a better selection anywhere. Great prices too, especially for bulk orders...

Diesel check out the command target section. Those are a lot more fun to shoot.

After using them I find the standard silloutte targets exceptionally boring.

will do. but I get a lot of friends, and their girlfriends that like to come over an practice. since most of the ladies are practicing for self defense purposes the standard silloutte is better than paper plates, and bullseyes, but simple enough that they can focus on their shooting, and not a fancy target.

I do like the bag of bones targets though. could be a great training aid.

Last edited:
I've used this one for a while:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=VTAC-P

I'm using this one right now:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=MDTS

I'm probably going to use this one once I use up the MDTS:

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=SSO-99

A bit more anatomically correct to where you wan to be putting your shots vs the old Silouette targets which have you shooting around the midsection. Plus having someone call out a shape or number to hit also ads to fun and challenge.

just some info

last weekend we put about 80 rounds of 308 fmj 20 inch barreled AR-10 on my 3/8 thick AR500 12 inch gong at 50 yards and it didn't bend or do any damage at all, fyi for people wondering about steel thickness and caliber at distances.....save some money

this same gong has taken 1000's of 223 at 25 t0 300 yards hundreds of 30-06 and 300 win mag at 100+ yards. I still haven't turned it over to use the other side.

That gongs price , and all the others I have has actually saved me money over buying cheep paper targets.

Last edited:
Back