• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Refinishing update NOW WITH UPDATED PICS

tnxdshooter

Internet Troll
BANNED
Well,

I just got back in from taking the 500A to Predator Custom Shop in Knoxville to get it refinished. I have had Jim Ruiz do work for me in the past and was very pleased. I was informed by Jim that at this time he did not have any stainless cerakote but that he was in the process of ordering some more and it would take a couple weeks to arrive if I wanted to wait or we could chose a different color. I chose to have the barrel, receiver, and magazine tube done in OD green. The gun will keep the black furniture. I think it will look pretty good. I am also having Jim install the 6 shot tacstar side saddle and the vang comp systems safety. Jim said that since they had to tear it down completely and re-assemble when finish that he would not charge me anything to install the new safety and side saddle. Jim charged me 165.00 which I felt was very reasonable for all the work being done to it. He said I should be able to pick it up in about two weeks but I am thinking more along the lines of four weeks. If anyone is interested in his shop here is a link below to his website.

http://www.predatorcustomshop.com/

Re: Refinishing update

Lookin forward to seeing it finished.

I may need to pay them a visit. I've got a Beretta 92 Vertec I'd like to have refinished in stainless, but I've been avoiding it due to the shipping hastles. I had no idea these guys were just a couple hours down the road. Might be worth the drive...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Lookin forward to seeing it finished.

I may need to pay them a visit. I've got a Beretta 92 Vertec I'd like to have refinished in stainless, but I've been avoiding it due to the shipping hastles. I had no idea these guys were just a couple hours down the road. Might be worth the drive...

Yup, Jim is the best ive found. In these parts.

Cant wait to see it, I'm sure the OD is gonna look great!!!

Rossignol said:
Cant wait to see it, I'm sure the OD is gonna look great!!!

I hope so. I wanted the bolt done in P 109 micro slick black but he doesnt do that. :-( so now gotta find someone to duracoat that for me I reckon. Also, he said he didnt do the slide rails because it can sometimes make the forends not fit properly or some crap. I really wanted that done up in od green as well but I think it will still look good for now.

Yeah man, I still think the rails on the action tube are gonna look good to! Post it up when youre able!!!

I just got off the phone with Jim Ruiz. He has the 500 in the cure oven right now already sprayed with OD green. He said he should have it out of there within the next hour or so and then should have the side saddle and vang comp safety installed tomorrow. He said should be done by Thursday at the latest. I am excited. I plan to pick it up Friday if it is done Thursday.

Now I have to figure out how to sight this bad boy in. It has been a while since I sighted in a long gun.

I'm excited for you! I wanna see it too!

Hmmm, zero-ing... The handful of rifle guys on here are the better ones to ask. That GRS is elevation and windage on the rear, so it moves opposite your group. Group goes low, sight goes up and so on. As I recall anyway! :D

According to the mossberg sight it is pretty easy to adjust but from what I have been reading on the net people say it is not. I dont know what to believe. I guess I will just have to shoot it and find out.

I'll tell ya something I had heard about the rear GRS, is when tightening the screw to raise the sight, you need to lift slightly to take some of the pressure off the screw.

But yeah, should otherwise be pretty easy!

On a related note, I recently had to adjust Allisons rear sight, the TruGlo fiber optic. I adjusted it the wrong way! She was kinda upset and I felt real badly for her, cuz she couldnt figure out why she was missing targets!!! The thing is, she rarely ever misses a target so this was a big deal and she wasnt sure what to correct cuz she was doin the same things she always does!

Well I didn't hear from the refinishers today so I intend to call them around noon tomorrow if I have not heard anything. Jim the owner promised me by Thursday it will be ready we shall see.

Yep i will be taking my camera. My buddy was.supposed to help me sight it saturday but he is going to have to work so i guess i an on my own.

You'll get it, I'm sure of it! With the GRS windage, if you aim for the bull, but group to the left, adjust to the right, ideally keeping the muzzle stationary-ish. If you group to the right then adjust left.

Its the same idea for elevation. Youre adjustment is at the rear again, so if your group is low of your POA, adjust up. Reverse it for a group that is high! ;)

Do you have a bench rest or back pack or sand bag?

I dont have a shooting rest. A back pack i do have somewhere. I printed out the adjustments from the website. Apparently the back adjustment controls left and right and then there is a screw in the middle of the sight toward the front that controls the up and down. I figured id fire about 5 rounds from each position out to 50 yards. I have buckshots, birdshot, and slugs i will be shooting.

I reckon worse case scenario i can pay someone 30 dollars and provide then the ammo and they can do it. I dont believe a bore sighter can be used on a shotgun can they?

Back