• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rookie Press Operator Prepares to Blow Things Up

I like mine clean.

Shiny is optional LOL

I admit, if I find a piece of brass that's laid out in the weather a while and has dark spots (tarnish), I'll still bring it home throw it in the tumbler for a while and use it again anyway.

That yellow plastic colander makes the brass reflect a lot of yellow light.
The photo looks like I boosted the luminance but I did not.

Anyhow I've been shining and prepping more brass and reading more about the process and art.
My relative early success is a real motivating factor. I like things to get off the ground.

anyhow I picked up the new Hornaday 10th edition, so I now have Speer, Lyman, Lee, Hodgdon, & Hornaday to compare, and it turns out the Hornaday was the one I needed to see all along.

The 5.56 Nato and .223 Service sections had formulas very close to what I'm shooting. :) Frankly, I was feeling like a bit of a wildcat, shooting rounds for which I'd extrapolated a formula from good data, but which was not documented exactly, anywhere I had found online or in print.

Now even the Hornaday, is not exact to what I've done, as their test rifle was different and COAL different, and max loads shown are still 1grain less than I am shooting. Still, seeing the data gives me even more to extrapolate from, because it is closer than anything I have found.

I also bought some more Match 75 gn BTHP and some Nosler Comp BTHP 77grn bullets, which is nearly the exact bullet from the formula.
I picked up some more BR4s, a little 3031 powder, and have H322 to try as well. I bought a Lyman .357/.36 die set, and a Hornaday American die set for .45 ACP.

I'm so glad I picked up the Hornaday 10th ed. :)

I have no knowledge about reloading whatsoever. How does reloading compare pricewise to off the shelf ammo. Just curious. To keep it simple lets assume 500 rounds a year of the best quality, off the shelf .223.

Money wise, you're not going to come out much, if any for just a few rounds. Setup cost is pretty high to be honest. Or at least it can be. Finding used stuff at garage sales and flea markets helps. My old rockchucker press is probably about as old as I am, but it's been a good one.

But I like having the ability to do my own. I can tweak rounds certain ways, so they perform how I want.

Some guns/bullets, I want to do subsonic for use with my suppressors. Some, I want loaded as hot as I can get them because of bears and packs of wild dogs/coyotes and self defense in general. Choosing whether to get a soft point or hollow point, or whatever is fun too.

And, as long as you have components, you're not hostage to panic grabbers at the store either.

That yellow plastic colander makes the brass reflect a lot of yellow light.
The photo looks like I boosted the luminance but I did not.

Anyhow I've been shining and prepping more brass and reading more about the process and art.
My relative early success is a real motivating factor. I like things to get off the ground.

anyhow I picked up the new Hornaday 10th edition, so I now have Speer, Lyman, Lee, Hodgdon, & Hornaday to compare, and it turns out the Hornaday was the one I needed to see all along.

The 5.56 Nato and .223 Service sections had formulas very close to what I'm shooting. :) Frankly, I was feeling like a bit of a wildcat, shooting rounds for which I'd extrapolated a formula from good data, but which was not documented exactly, anywhere I had found online or in print.

Now even the Hornaday, is not exact to what I've done, as their test rifle was different and COAL different, and max loads shown are still 1grain less than I am shooting. Still, seeing the data gives me even more to extrapolate from, because it is closer than anything I have found.

I also bought some more Match 75 gn BTHP and some Nosler Comp BTHP 77grn bullets, which is nearly the exact bullet from the formula.
I picked up some more BR4s, a little 3031 powder, and have H322 to try as well. I bought a Lyman .357/.36 die set, and a Hornaday American die set for .45 ACP.

I'm so glad I picked up the Hornaday 10th ed. :)
Caddman, if you've not stumbled across it, check out Accurateshooter.com. Very dedicated to precision reloading, shooting, and rifles. Also a very good classifieds section. I've bought lots of components, some dies, and some optics from other members there. I feel you will gather lots of good, specific info from there, as I have.

Thanks Mudder, I will.

As for cost of handloads, I'm saving a little money on the shotshells, particularly where I used reclaimed shot; but on rifle ammo I'm spending 1/3 MORE to load my own, than factory, ammo.

However, you simply cannot buy the ammo I am making. Nobody is selling a .223 with 75grain BTHP match grade bullets. I'm buying match-grade powder, primers and projectiles. I'm hand-matching each case and load to be exactly identical.

So you can certainly save money buying factory ammo, and it may be good enough for your purposes, but it's just not the same.

Thanks guys. It looks interesting, but for what I do, and my budget, factory ammo is best for what I do. It is fascinating to read your posts and the details involved.

Gee I hope I didn't scare you off with all my profligate spending.

It's a fun business for me Meanie. It's a hobby and like all Hobbies you toss money at it for fun. Now because I have a little money that I intend to enjoy before I die, I have spent it freely (but purposefuly) on this business for my own enjoyment.

But I wasn't a careful Shopper either!

Look up some of the things the other guys are doing and you will see that often they are reloading great ammo & much cheaper than I am, and they're probably having just as much fun.

I'm buying the most expensive powder, the most expensive bullets, and the most expensive primers. ( I haven't actually started buying the brass yet but that will raise the cost another. $0.05 a round over the life of the brass if I reload each one 5 or 6 times. ( If you're not shooting hot loads you can reload them even more.)

But that's not necessary at all. You can have a whole lot of fun with used equipment and more common componants. All of the brass that I am loading is from ammunition that I have bought and shot myself, or brass that was shot once by friends and which I recovered.

For the loads I made last night I spent:

$0.30 per bullet (Nozler)
$0.06 primer (CCI BR4)
$0.14 powder (varget)
$0.02 incidentals
$0.04 tax

I've been buying new .223 ammunition for $0.30~$0.50 each.

So in that respect that makes absolutely no Financial sense whatsoever, unless you know that you are paying more for better ammo.

Shooters pro shops sells Nosler "blem" bullets. That's generally where I get all my Nosler projectiles from. Saves a few cents.

I might order some 69s as the 77gn nozzler may be more than I can push reliably. People claim you need a 1-8" barrel to spin them fast enough to hit anything at 600 yds. LOL (600 yds! I wish...) They were all shooting lighter, shorter guns too. It's hard to say what mine will do but I was hoping to find 69s on sale. I did not and so decided to try these.

With the very similar 75gn Hornaday Match, I shot 200 yds OK without tumble, but I haven't got back to shoot a good 200 yd pattern with the new scope yet. My current formulae both run Varget, but I reduced loads 2 grains for starters with the 77gn Nozzlers. I suspect that they may still be hot enough, & there's a little compression with the half-grain+ and 1 grain+ loads. This will still be one grain below what I'm shooting now with the 75gn, so I feel pretty safe.

BUT I've violated a rule that says don't change two things at once. The Nozzlers are in Lake City brass, I fired in the AR, then resized as .223. They need to fire in the Savage once to be good.

The 75gn Hornadays are in Federal Champion cases, having had the same treatment plus having been fired once in the Savage then trimmed & neck-sized. They have slightly more capacity internally.

But who knows which will be the hotter load?

I figured out that I only have enough of Varget for 20 more rounds. Everybody in town seems to be out of it, & I sure don't want to pay Hazmat and shipping.

I'm amazed at how much Hazmat fees vary. I'm seeing $20 to $32 per shipment!

How can people pay $30 to ship $25 worth of powder?

^Big orders.

Smokeless Powder. Black Powder. Primer. Cannon fuse.

Most places only have the 1lb bottle in stock. I'll have to shop around.

Cabelas had the keg, but it was about $50 overpriced, plus $32 hazmat and shipping.

Powder valley, And midsouth shooter supply, are the two we use. My buddy shoots IDPA, so he uses a lot more powder and primers than I do. But whenever one or the other of us need something, we just combine orders, and split the hazmat fee.

I've bought from both places before.

Midsouth shooters are little more affordable once shipping and things are calculated. Wider variety of products too.

Gee I hope I didn't scare you off with all my profligate spending.

It's a fun business for me Meanie. It's a hobby and like all Hobbies you toss money at it for fun. Now because I have a little money that I intend to enjoy before I die, I have spent it freely (but purposefuly) on this business for my own enjoyment.

But I wasn't a careful Shopper either!

Look up some of the things the other guys are doing and you will see that often they are reloading great ammo & much cheaper than I am, and they're probably having just as much fun.

I'm buying the most expensive powder, the most expensive bullets, and the most expensive primers. ( I haven't actually started buying the brass yet but that will raise the cost another. $0.05 a round over the life of the brass if I reload each one 5 or 6 times. ( If you're not shooting hot loads you can reload them even more.)

But that's not necessary at all. You can have a whole lot of fun with used equipment and more common componants. All of the brass that I am loading is from ammunition that I have bought and shot myself, or brass that was shot once by friends and which I recovered.

For the loads I made last night I spent:

$0.30 per bullet (Nozler)
$0.06 primer (CCI BR4)
$0.14 powder (varget)
$0.02 incidentals
$0.04 tax

I've been buying new .223 ammunition for $0.30~$0.50 each.

So in that respect that makes absolutely no Financial sense whatsoever, unless you know that you are paying more for better ammo.

Actually $0.56 does not sound bad at all.

I'm leaving off the $5 per round for my labor... ;)

Also that Cost goes back up as soon as my brass is worn out and I have to get more brass.

I just ordered some stuff from midsouth shooters supply and it came in the other day. I was very happy with their service. Definitely faster than Midway.

Back