• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shell Limiting Plug?

I have been looking around online trying to find a plug for dove hunting this year.
I would prefer a plastic plug but there are a lot of reviews that say they do not fit in the 500.
So I turn to the almighty MOFO's once again.
Can anybody recommend a plastic plug in which they know fits the 500C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your right, I will just make one.

But after some thought, is 5 inches really all the length that I need to occupy in the tube?
Seems short to me for some reason.

Edit:

Wait, it would have to be 7.5 correct?

I can't ever remember what length they are originally, though they are made from a quarter inch wooden dowel. I don't recall them being 7 inches long though, but 2-3/4 inch shells minus two shots would be 5 inches with a little change left over.

I can't ever remember what length they are originally, though they are made from a quarter inch wooden dowel. I don't recall them being 7 inches long though, but 2-3/4 inch shells minus two shots would be 5 inches.
Yes but isn't the "advertised" length the length AFTER being fired?
So...
2.5 x 3 = 7.5

No I don't think so. I'm not close to any to check. You may be right though.

I don't bird hunt, but is it 3 allowed in mag or 2+1 in the chamber

2+1.
I apologize if my response came off as a correction! I by no means am in any place to correct anybody here and thank you for your help discussing the matter.
Very serious business here![emoji38]

You well could be right. I've never really paid attention, but I think it is unfired length.

Send me your address-I'll send you one asap. Have 3 of them gathering dust in the parts bin from 500As. Wooden dowels, you know, but they do the job in 12s or 20s. They still have the rubber O-rings on them. Fun limiters I call them, but hunting laws being law.....

I use chopsticks.
I dont use them to eat with but they make great mag limiters.
Just cut them to a length that only allows for 2 in the tube.
It doesn't have to be perfect length as long as a 3rd shell can't fit in there.
I do hunt lots of birds with my 500's

ce53b5f70f6d327748e8c9541f91edfe.jpg

Ok, so 6.25 .
I'm sure anything between 6or 7 inches will get the job done.

Last edited:
On its way HookBender- USPS tracking 9500 1106 8994 5231 1542 81 Came out of a 500A. Didn't measure it, but it should work for a 500C. I'm thinking since shells are the same (2 3/4, 3 in.) the dowel would be the same size regardless of gauge and should do the job. Has the 2 rubber O-Rings and is OEM old school Mossberg stock.

Remember folks it does not have to be exact. Even if half of the third shell fits you are legal to hunt. As long as the third shell cant fit all the way, you are good to go.

The length of the shell is measured after it has been fired......and as a side note to the pic posted of the shell above...rolled crimp hulls will measure differently before firing than star crimp ones

Back