• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

This is what happens

Machining 7075 is no problem. The hardest Rockwell hardness on aluminum does not come close to steel or 4130, the beauty of matching aluminum is that it is not hard on the tooling. Heat is the only issue, and that effects the tooling and carbide doing the cutting .
Can't wait to see what the mystery unobtainium is ?

I made a set of mud flaps from T6 aluminum sheet, and it's very hard to cut with high speed steel tools.

T5 aluminum, which is best used for Windows and Doors is about 1/3 as hard to cut.

For common alloys, the temper of the metal can make much more difference than the alloy (6065, 7075...whatever) just like Steel.

T6 aluminum has a special Heating and quenching requirement which makes it very hard

Caddmann, most AR lowers these days are 7075 T6 chosen for it's strength and hardness.

In the past, there have been a myriad of other types of materials. 6061-T6, magnesium, various grades of cast, forged, and billet machined aluminum, and polymers/carbon fibers. A Titanium or two. These are just off of the top of my head.

I'm not surprised. Except for the plastics. I really have no need for plastic guns.

In fact Im not that fond of aluminum guns either.

From Total Materia:

"Aluminum alloys that contain appreciable amounts of soluble alloying elements, primarily copper, magnesium, silicon, and zinc, are susceptible to stress-corrosion cracking (SCC).

An extensive failure analysis shows how many service failures occurred in the industry and what kind of alloys and stresses led to initiation and propagation of stress corrosion cracks which caused these service failures. Alloys 7079-T6, 7075 –T6 and 2024 – T3 contributed to more than 90% of the service failures of all high-strength aluminum alloys..."

One of the workers had this pistol at my anodizers. The anodizer just happens to be an FFL mfg... :) They let me test fire one of the builds in their "snail". :D

millhappy.jpg snail.jpg

In fact Im not that fond of aluminum guns either.

While there is something about blued steel, the fact is, there are a lot of aluminum receivered guns out there.

From 22lr single shots, to pistols to rifles of virtually all calibers, and even shotgun receivers. Aluminum is corrosion resistant, light, and relatively plenty strong and durable for most firearm applications.

If I had to carry a rifle all day, my opinion might be different. :rolleyes:

Scandium? My boss has this little 5-shot pocket rocket made from scandium (or scandium alloy.)

I can scrape by on the machining side but have spent a lot of time on the design side of things. Here's what a 3d model of a lower looks like and I added some custom wording for the selector.
13247702_1092608567477437_420190787806699070_o.jpg

13304984_1092608590810768_5040930553308409240_o.jpg

That would be one of the most awesome things I have ever seen.

LOL I missed the safety switch the first couple times around, Oli.

Back