• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Walnut Tactical Stock, from scratch.

Ttutt

.270 WIN
I can't help it. I just love working with wood. I like the traditional rifle / shotgun stocks. since I bought my 500 recently, I have been wanting to make a wooden stock and forend for it, I know that I'll have to buy the replacement tube assembly for the forend, but that's alot cheaper than buying a new set of parts all around.
Anyway, I don't know if anyone would be interested in seeing this in progress, but I'd like to post a few pics as I work along on it. Right now what I have is a rough blank sawn from a rather questionable piece of 2" x 6" black walnut. It has some issues that means it would never win any awards for fine woodworking, but I think it will make a fine first try at making a stock.

walnut tactical roughed out by ahdlm, on Flickr

If this goes well, I think I'll save up for a really nice piece of wood for the next one, and perhaps another more traditional stock out of some quartersawn brown oak that I have. well, I hope I haven't broken any rules in my first post.

Howdy and I'm pleased to welcome another woodworker to the club. That looks like a good start. Are you going to re enforce the lower grip with a bolt or screw? I only ask cuz I see what appears to be a crack or something there.

I wood ;) love to see your process. I am in the process of making wood 1911 and beretta vertec grips. You can check my stuff out in thepic and video area under the title got wood...

Looking forward to more!

Looks awesome so far. I was actually thinking about something like this a few days ago, so that's cool I'm not the only one that would like to see it.

No rules broke, we're pretty lacks here. And the Copper BB thing is just a starting rank. As your post count increases it'll change. Welcome aboard, looking forward to updates.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this project completed. Keep us posted on your progress...

I'll tag it for updates too.

I love the build alongs. I'll be following the progress as well.

Well Ttutt...you have crowd gathering ;) better take a day off of work to finish that baby up lol..I'm kidding. Take your time. Things turn out better with patience.....this I know.

well, carp. the more I shaped the stock, the more cracks appeared. I'm going to have to scrap that one (turn it into a mock up gun for my son to play around with. just add a "receiver" and a couple of dowels for barrel and magazine.) I've drawn out a new pattern on a piece of brown oak. as soon as I verify the angles of the receiver seat and the attachment bolt i'll drill them out, along with a hole for some reinforcement to the pistol grip, post a new pic and then start shaping again.

I forgot to mention that on the forend, i'm planing to add a rearward slope area to sort of imitate those new angled fore grips i've seen on some ARs.

That sounds like something you could sell if you can get it to work right. I know I'd like something like this. Hydrodip the metal parts to match the wood. Man that would be sexy.

Dude! I'm lovin the wood work man and welcome to Mossberg Owners!!!

I also use the Magpul AFG on one of my shotguns! I'm diggin the stuff youre doin here and really look forward to seein more!

Nice work! :D

pics of the brown oak stock and forend

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1330305685708.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1330305685708.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 980
oops. thats my first try at a pic post.
the small chunk is what it should look like with a finish on it.
here's a roughed out butt stock

4cff49f4-dbe3-3d88.jpg

I may have an issue with the forend being too narrow at the front due to router mishap. I can always cut it down and get a shorter action tube.

dang if this isn't starting to look like something...
6333373e-142f-9537.jpg

got the foretell worked out and fitted. the nut isn't on yet, I've got to cut about an inch off the front first. the stock is just laid there to get an idea what it will look like.

Back