• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Walnut Tactical Stock, from scratch.

Finger grooves would be something to think about, or maybe checkering to improve grip. I like what I see so far though.

checkering... strictly for the Gentleman's tactical stock! as I shaped it with a rasp I kept thinking "rasp marks: a poor mans checkering"

I already did put in the groves though.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

shaped, sanded, and installed. ready to take it apart and finish it with a traditional linseed oil-beeswax-turpentine paste.

a6cd08ee-da6a-9faa.jpg

you could use a dremel and make a kinda of a unique texture look....

I gotta get that thing outside in the daylight to get a better picture.

Ooh! i'm moving up in the world. I'm not a copper BB any more!

Once, several years ago, I was looking for some sort of natural / traditional wood finish and ran across a recipe using linseed oil, bees wax and turpentine. I wish I had written it down. anyway, I still have a tub of it left and that's what I've been putting on this stock. at the time I found the source for the finish, it recommended applying it as follows: "once a day for a week. once a week for a month. once a month for a year". I believe the source was intending this for use on wooden gun stocks. perhaps WWII era. I can't remember now. anyway, I'm going to keep applying the stuff for the rest of that first week and then send in another pic.

OK. last pics. I managed to get some good light to best show the grain and color.

6c4d7157-d7f6-bfe9.jpg

6c4d7157-d81f-942a.jpg

6c4d7157-d841-c1c2.jpg

Nice!! I like the spot of heartwood on the foregrip...too bad there wasn't alot of it. That'd be cool looking. Not that its not cool looking now..it is. Great job man!

what sucked was there was a nasty inclusion that was totally hidden in the wood. there was a completely hidden and grown over knot inside that ended up right in front of the area where the trigger is.

the color is all natural. the wax/oil paste darkened it a bit and brought out the grain, but it is essentially a natural color.

as for weight? I'll have to take it to a truck scale tomorrow to have it weighed!
actually, the bathroom scale shows just about 7 pounds empty, or 8 loaded 8+1 with 00 Buck.

If I wanted to send the weight through the roof, a nice lignum vitae stock about half heart and half sapwood would look great. the furniture would out weigh the rest of it though.

Another question ... the lop looks way long on that. Is it just the camera or is it fairly long? Could you get a picture of it next to the stock furniture.

LOP may be a bit big. I laid up the original stock over it and mine came up about a half inch longer.
when I measure from the inside of the trigger to the butt pad parallel with the barrel, I get about 14.75". the pad adds about an inch to what you are seeing already.

I guess that's why most tactical stocks are adjustable? :oops:
with this one, you can only adjust it in one direction...

firing it didn't feel uncomfortable or awkward. but then I don't have alot to reference that against.
Im sure that someone that "fits" shotguns for people would have a field day. I know that I didn't get any bruising or soreness from running about 50 rounds through it. maybe they were lightweight rounds. I don't know. they were Winchester "Universal" 12ga 2.75" 1200 fps 3 dr eq. 1.125 oz of #8 shot. I just wanted to tear up some targets and get a feel for it today.

Winchester Universal from Wal-Mart? And there were no ammo ftf's? JohnA had a box of them and had some problems with em...needless to say he's not a happy camper.

not a single ftf. everything was smooth and easy. now I'm worried about the rest of those that I have. I wasn't sure the range would let me try buck or slugs though There was someone there with a keltec ksg that I think was firing slugs. I had left mine in the car so I just went with what I had.

not being able to leave well enough alone, and seeing the heat shield thread, I think I'm going to try and make a wood heat shield.
I have no idea how I'm going to attach it.

ill probably stick with the same wood as the stock. I'll use a router to do the bulk of the hollowing, the main concerns are that it won't take too much flexing to snap over the barrel before it breaks because I'll have to get it pretty thin. even separating from the barrel 1/8" and making the shield 1/8" raises over the barrel 1/4". I'm not sure what that's going to do to the "sight picture" such as it is with only a bead sight.

Back