• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What am I doing wrong

NY74

.22LR
mvp flex.jpg 10808006_777000815668738_783581557_n.jpg Here are the pictures of my MVP 5.56 and results im getting. I must be doing something wrong

For accuracy MOA and below MVP favors hornady 50-55 gr Vmax loads.

Freedom munitions has the cheapest cost for this round and it matches hornady a specs

Also fiocchi 50 gr vmax is a solid choice

Hornady vmax or zmax is the same round.

Iive been doing load workup in .223, and like anything else, you get what you pay for. I was using cheap Armscor projectiles, and getting terrible groups. Spent a few more bucks to get better quality components, and the groups tightened up.

Hour or so

Well there's your problem.

If you're shooting for tight groups you need to focus on taking your time. This can mean waiting five to ten minutes between shots for your barrel to cool down to ambient temperature. Barrel thermodynamics will play all kinds of tricks on your shot placement and you'll spend more time adjusting your scope than shooting. It takes me three to four hours to go through a box of twenty rounds in my bolt action rifles. You can pick up a laser thermometer at your local hardware store for thirty bucks or so. It'll be one of the best investments you make if you want to get serious about precision shooting...

Well there's your problem.

If you're shooting for tight groups you need to focus on taking your time. This can mean waiting five to ten minutes between shots for your barrel to cool down to ambient temperature. Barrel thermodynamics will play all kinds of tricks on your shot placement and you'll spend more time adjusting your scope than shooting. It takes me three to four hours to go through a box of twenty rounds in my bolt action rifles. You can pick up a laser thermometer at your local hardware store for thirty bucks or so. It'll be one of the best investments you make if you want to get serious about precision shooting...

That where I have to disagree. MVP's medium bull barrel does not get hot at all

I will agree that, yes barrel temp does play a big part in groupings, but not to a noticeable amount for the avarage shooter. While doing load workup i would shoot 3-5 loads, in groups of 5, in "round robin" fasion. Meaning i would shoot one of each load, in succession 5 times. It definately helps show what loads "work" in a rifle. Some loads would hold MOA with constantly increasing barrel temp, while others would not. I was working with an AR platform, and individually loading each round to check functionality. So i was averaging a shot about every 30 seconds. The benchrest shooters that are going for 1/4 MOA at 100 yards will take considerable more time between shots, to prevent heat buildup in the barrel.

If you believe that you have a cool barrel, your trigger discipline is fine and your equipment is solid.

Then it's ammo related.

If you believe that you have a cool barrel, your trigger discipline is fine and your equipment is solid.

Then it's ammo related.
I definitely question my skills. I did order a laser thermometer. I will adjust my trigger and try to shoot from the bench. Also is it wrong to use full 12x at 100m

I definitely question my skills. I did order a laser thermometer. I will adjust my trigger and try to shoot from the bench. Also is it wrong to use full 12x at 100m

I have been instructed and I also have read that it is best to start sighting in at the highest magnification until you are satisfied with your groupings. When you have sufficiently shrunk your group size then move toward the lower magnifications.

Always use a solid rest for sighting in. If you are trying to sight in shooting offhand...start with that...get some bags or a good mechanical rest.

It is not wrong to use the optic at full magnification at 100 yards.

I like to aim small, miss small.

Within reason.

I have used zqi 7.62x51 ammo in my Fal. While some people have had decent results with it, it looks more like a shotgun pattern out of mine.

And my Fal is very accurate with Wolf and Lake City XM80.

Back