• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!! i got my lee 1oz slug mold and lyman dipper today.
reading the instructions it says to lubricate the mold before using.
question is can i use any type lubricant or do i need something special?
question two,,,what needs to be lubricated?

roll crimper is on the way. :D

I lube my mold joints with beeswax because that's what the directions recommended, but there are probably other alternatives like maybe cooking paraffin wax. I'll let some of the other guys who have a lot more experience in casting chime in to what they use.

You would want to lube all the joints when the mold is opened. And the contact face where the mold goes together where the little male/female digits are in what would be the middle between the two halves.

Oil lube may could maybe possibly flash off.

And anything water based (KY or ultrasound gel) that comes into contact with melted lead will explode.

And make sure you light some matches and let the smoke soot up the contact surfaces of the melted lead so the bullets don't stick when you release them.

John A. said:
I lube my mold joints with beeswax because that's what the directions recommended, but there are probably other alternatives like maybe cooking paraffin wax. I'll let some of the other guys who have a lot more experience in casting chime in to what they use.

You would want to lube all the joints when the mold is opened. And the contact face where the mold goes together where the little male/female digits are in what would be the middle between the two halves.

Oil lube may could maybe possibly flash off.

And anything water based (KY or ultrasound gel) that comes into contact with melted lead will explode.

And make sure you light some matches and let the smoke soot up the contact surfaces of the melted lead so the bullets don't stick when you release them.

thank you John.
using bees wax,what do you do,just rub it on to the mold parts?
sorry for the questions,,,,i'm having a problem picturing this. :?

I heat the mold up, and just rub a little wax in the pivot area's.

The wax kind melts and holds better to the metal than oil and the likes would.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmLPlpuFME[/youtube]

,,,got it. my instructions didn't mention beeswax. said to use LEE#90007.

i found some beeswax and will be making slugs tomorrow.
anything special that needs to be done to the lyman dipper?

again,,,,thank you John.

I have used Permatex High Temperature (1600-F) anti seize compound, and have seen others use premium 2-cycle oil, and lots of guys over on CastBoolets.com and other reloading/casting forums swear Bull Shop Sprue Lube is the absolute best four dollar purchase a caster can make.

thanks nitesite. i got some beeswax to start off with.(noob) :)

i just don't want to screw up and ruin something.
for now i'm using a propane torch and a lyman dipper and lee 1oz slug mold.
does the dipper get any kind of prep like the mold?

,,,,ok gave the mold a lube with beeswax,gave the cavity some soot,heated up the mold a bit,and poured some melted #8 remington gun club shot.
i noticed the wrinkles on the finished slug,any ideas why???

my next problem is when i put the slug in the shot cup it actually expands too much to put in the hull.
can i cut the shot cup off the one piece wadding?
sorry for the poor pics.
thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 357
old mossy said:
,,,,ok gave the mold a lube with beeswax,gave the cavity some soot,heated up the mold a bit,and poured some melted #8 remington gun club shot.
i noticed the wrinkles on the finished slug,any ideas why???

my next problem is when i put the slug in the shot cup it actually expands too much to put in the hull.
can i cut the shot cup off the one piece wadding?
sorry for the poor pics.
thanks in advance for the help.

O.K firstly the wrinkly slugs are because the mould is not hot enough, it isn't up to temperature. The way to rectify this is to quickly mould a few slugs and put them to one side. This will warm the mould up to temperature and the wrinkles will disappear. Turn the heat up on your lead smelter pot too.

The opposite of this is when the mould and molten lead are too hot. Then the finished slug appears "frosty" and matte grey in colour instead of shiny and smooth. In any event either wrinkly or frosty is not really that important with shotgun slugs, we are not talking about precision match grade handgun bullets here.

Looking at your caliper photo your slugs are wider in diameter than mine. The ones I have cast with the Lee 1oz mould mike out at .670". Yours appear nearer in diameter to the Foster slug mould which comes out at just over .720".

Certain brands of birdshot cartridges and their plaswad cups are compatible with my Lee slugs others are NOT. The plaswad shot cup petals are too thick to accept the Lee slug. Try a different brand with a different wad i.e with thinner petals.

You could try removing the plaswad and removing the shot cup petals and see if you can insert the slug into the hull and crimp to finish?

Some people do this with the Foster slugs.

Sorry just realised that you are using a propane torch and a Lyman dipper. In any event your mould and or lead are not hot enough.

,,,,thank you very much for the info. i'll make some adjustments.

,,,,another NOOB question,,,,,,how often should you lube the lee slug mold?

I lube mine about every 75 slugs or so. Not really sure what is recommended though.

old mossy said:
nitesite said:
Mossy, I believe you could melt your lead pretty easily and inexpensively with a $15 electric hotplate.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/16629656?wmls ... 76&veh=sem

great idea,,,,,thanks buddy.

any ideas on cutting the shot cup off the wad ?

Yep, needle nose pilers and pull the plaswad out just far enough to cut the petals off with a craft knife, then shove the base back in.

If you pull the plaswad all the way out you will probably need a shotshell press to get the plaswad base back in past the opened up crimp.

If you are going to trim the starcrimp off off the hull to use a roll crimp tool them the plaswad slides out and back in nice and easy.

,,,,,,i did some more reading and decided to remeasure my lee slugs. i used a micrometer and got a measurement of .680-.0675

i think my made in china caliper is "made in china".

sorry about that.

Back