• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

,,,,nice.
i bought the nylon roll crimp tool. also low speed use no lube. works pretty good with a hand drill.

ok a question I have is the shells now being what looks to be 2 1/4 inch long how do they feed through the shotgun any signs of jamming or anything like that ??????

The ones I have shot have cycled and functioned reliable for me.

tazzy695 said:
ok a question I have is the shells now being what looks to be 2 1/4 inch long how do they feed through the shotgun any signs of jamming or anything like that ??????

The Lee slugs I made also cycle good,no problems.
I made this batch from Remington Gun Club #8.
Below is a pic of some different shells I have around.
The first is Fiocchi #00 buck=2 1/4" long.
second is Remington #5=2 1/2" long.
third is Remington #8= 2 5/16" long.
last is the Lee slug 1 oz= 2 1/16" long made from the Remington #8.

Attachments

• shell length.JPG
    shell length.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 318
,,,,,just another note.....went to walmart picked up some Federal Top Gun 12ga,1 1/8,#8.
works much better for the Lee 1 oz slug,fits the shot cup. :)

,,,get this,,,,told the wife i was saving .75 per round,,,,,,,,she said,,"GO BUY MORE"

that's a first. :lol:

daytime dave said:
This is a great thread. I'm gonna have to try this. Thanks for the great information.

Where upstate? We used to have a farm in Otisville.

I made a bunch more shorty slugs tonight.

wLrUeZb.jpg

I did actually have a casualty, too

BjtYho2.jpg

I didn't notice my roll crimper had run dry of lube and it ate a shell in protest.

TheJackal said:
my roll crimper had run dry of lube and it ate a shell in protest.

:lol:

That was funny

And also a very nice looking batch of slugs.

Jackal, what mold are you using? The reason I'm asking they don't look like the round top LEE, more of a flat top.

Thought this would be an appropriate thread to post in...

Is everyone else seeing $28 - $34 for a bulk case of shells???

Geesh... Across the board prices rising yet again...
I wonder if this in conjunction to the last Major Lead Bullion company being shut down?
I know all the major manufacturers like Hornady and Federal say they don't buy their lead from that company... but I wonder if it is the "scare" again

Jackal. Correct me if I'm wrong, are they hammerhead slugs from slugs r us ?

old mossy said:
Jackal. Correct me if I'm wrong, are they hammerhead slugs from slugs r us ?

Actually no, those are all my castings - straight out of a Lee 1oz slug mold.

This is a surprising realization on my part as well - I will have to investigate.

Malagamarksman said:
What is the finished length ? Do they feed reliably through a pump or semi auto shotgun ?

Finished overall length varies between 1.70" and 1.75"

In my experience with the 50 or so I've fired so far, I've only had one hangup with them in my 500.
The shell got far enough back on the lifter that it missed the lifter "tongue" the plastic fell between the lifters arms and dangled it by the brass rim.

Though I have also witnessed this malfunction occur with factory length ammo when the gun is short-shucked, but given the low round count so far I can't make a fair judgement between it being operator error or ammunition related. Time (and more rounds downrange :mrgreen: ) will tell.

Update on the flat top slugs - I'm wondering if I don't have a defective mold.

GiI39gh.jpg

ARdLuxp.jpg

I couldn't get it to close all the way on the slug in the second picture, but you can see the rather large gap it leaves at the sprue.

I'm wondering if the cavity on this particular mold was cut out of spec.

Can anyone post a picture of their mold in a similar fashion to confirm?

Jackal. Here's pics of mine.(sorry for the poor quality pics). After looking at them all I'd say they are 'bout the same. Maybe it was just the angle of the pic I saw????

Attachments

• DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 231
Back