• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What are those bulk skeet shells good for?

Anyone ever fired 20ga from their 12?

What about darts ?

Well what about 20ga darts fired from a 12ga ?

PVu7hZI.jpg

L7lREzj.jpg

These are one piece 20ga hulls with the rims removed, a sharpened bolt inserted through the primer pocket and secured with a nut.

Throwing them around the yard by hand shows they stabilize quite nicely.

Here's hoping the range test is successful, the premise of 12ga lawn darts sounds like a LOT of fun.

lawn darts were banned from the US decades ago.

But me and my best friend growing up were the neighborhood champs. :)

It was an awesome game. Much more fun than horseshoes.

Anyone ever fired 20ga from their 12?

What about darts ?

Well what about 20ga darts fired from a 12ga ?

PVu7hZI.jpg

L7lREzj.jpg

These are one piece 20ga hulls with the rims removed, a sharpened bolt inserted through the primer pocket and secured with a nut.

Throwing them around the yard by hand shows they stabilize quite nicely.

Here's hoping the range test is successful, the premise of 12ga lawn darts sounds like a LOT of fun.
Please film that!

My buddy just bought a choke kit that allows him to shoot every shot gun load in his 12.

I have seen caliber conversion kits for shotguns that even include many centerfire and rimfire cartridges as well, though they're not chokes. The slide into the chamber and are basically a barrel sleeve for smaller calibers *more or less*

This reminds me of the time I buried an aerosol can under a campfire spot. When we lit the fire up it exploded after maybe an hour. Shrapnel was contained within the hole, but the coals flew everywhere, it scared the snot out of everyone and it could've been very bad.

I was a kid. I knew I COULD do it, so I did. In hind sight, it was a dumb move and I should NEVER have done it.

Bottom line, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

But if you are so inclined, have fun, be safe, and don't get busted.

I have seen caliber conversion kits for shotguns that even include many centerfire and rimfire cartridges as well, though they're not chokes. The slide into the chamber and are basically a barrel sleeve for smaller calibers *more or less*
Yep. Thats kinda what I meant. Poor wording....lol

Had a question. .Has anyone run the converted loads thru a semi auto? I have only seen a reference to using pumps and if they work well in a 930 that would be big fun!

I would say there would be no pressure difference since the charge and projectile are the same weight as the original factory loading .
That being said in shotgun reloading , where you prime, drop powder, wad and shot or slug in an empty shell and reapply a crimp the rule of thumb is that shot of equal weight to a one piece slug, the slug will create more chamber pressure because the "solid" lead does not absorb and distribute energy like shot......like hitting a bean bag with a bat vs. a rock of equal weight.

The difference is small and really only needs to be considered if you reload near or at the top end of the data.
If you're pushing the pressure limits of failure then it could be just enough pressure change to throw it over to failing head or chamber....bird/target loads are far from top of data but if anything,a certain target load cycles your weapon a converted shell of the same make technically should cycle it with slightly more authority very slight

now I am not sure if the elevator, feed ramp and advancing would have trouble with the improvised shell, depending on the length of overall hull and what you did about the crimp if anything. Years ago I did this for kicks and never even did anything for a crimp at all, just shoved in a slug and friction retained it, shot them and thought "cool if you need to do it" and never did it again. I imagine a roll crimp would cycle if the length of an average finished shell was close to spec. Problem with doing nothing to the crimp is that the hull will get beat down ,if you pack them around in the mag tube, by spring pressure or get battered by recoil almost sure to eventually causing feeding problems......especially in hot weather where the plastic becomes softer.....damn that was long winded lol

Had a question. .Has anyone run the converted loads thru a semi auto? I have only seen a reference to using pumps and if they work well in a 930 that would be big fun!
The 930 seems to like them fine. Runs thru them like crap thru a goose...but then you need to make more. LOL.

I just loaded up a bunch of these. I've used just about every hull out there. These wads (forgot the name) allows the slug to fit snugly in there. Ive crimped and few but would rather roll crimp them.
y9ygebe5.jpg

erapyqag.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this video and enjoy ingenuity.

Be sure to check your state and local laws about stuff you put in a shotgun shell. Here in FL, "Dragon's Breath", bolos and flechettes are illegal (790.31) as are "self-propelled" knifes (790.225) as well as armor-piercing bullets. The chapter on Weapons and Firearms (790) can be found HERE

You can get ANYTHING on Debay! :rolleyes: 1/2lb of Flechettes LINK and if that is not enough, he is selling 10lbs in another auction... :cool:

Back