• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What ear protection do you use?

I have a David Clark pair and Mine Safety pair. Both were issued to me by Airlines I worked for.
Hearing loss is cumulative. Major airlines used to test us every 2 yrs. When it starts to degrade,
you are more aware of it. Don't skimp on hearing protection. As I have gotten older, I do notice
I'm missing parts of conversation. If you notice you cannot differentiate conversation in a crowded room-
the damage is already done and it is irreversible. Like I said the damage is CUMULATIVE.

this construction company i used to work for 3 years ago tested us. we had a bunch of contracts with pratt & whitney. (plane engines company) anyhow inside the buildings can get pretty loud. especially in the turbine test cells buliding. so ifound out i have 30% loss in one ear. due to a boating accident. i was tubing behind it and flipped going really fast. i turned my head sideways and heard a POP when i went sliding into the waves. man that f***ing hurt. i had water in my ear for about a week. i have yet to get it fixed. its going to cost $$$ and i don't have that kind.

so i usually have plugs in my truck at all times. thanx to my wife helping clean my truck last weekend...they are sitting in my garage on the freezer.

Hearing protection is not something you want to skimp out on.

I wear Surefire earpros most of the time in the summer to hot otherwise.
I do run electrontic muffs in the winter for more warmth

If by myself I use the same mickey mouse ears as I used working the flight line when I was younger, bright orange. If with a few friends, I have 16 channel CP-200 Motorola radios with Motorola headsets for a high noise environment. This lets us talk to each other better. I also keep a few disposables with me all the time.

I use SUREFIRE EP3 Sonic Defenders...

EP3-SONICDEFENDERS-1.png

EP3 Sonic Defenders protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their double-flange stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP3s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection, and they also block out lower-level noise like that heard on a plane. They can be used in situations where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical.

The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Each set is packaged in a convenient carry case. Available in clear or black.

SHOOTER13 said:
I use SUREFIRE EP3 Sonic Defenders...

EP3-SONICDEFENDERS-1.png

EP3 Sonic Defenders protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their double-flange stem design fits most people and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP3s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection, and they also block out lower-level noise like that heard on a plane. They can be used in situations where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical.

The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Each set is packaged in a convenient carry case. Available in clear or black.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
they are great!

Wow...they are expensive ! What's the rating ?...didn't see it listed at the site.

SHOOTER13 said:
Wow...they are expensive ! What's the rating ?...didn't see it listed at the site.

peltors are NRR 26, listed right on the page. :?

Technical Details

NRR 26dB
Electronics limit amplified sounds to 82dBA within 2 milliseconds
Active-volume provides maximum distortion free amplification low level sounds up to 18dBA
Omni-directional stereo microphones provide 360 degree external ambient listening
Auto power saving feature

they are also fantastically comfortable, even with glasses on.

plus it's neat to turn them all the way up and hear better than normal... superhuman hearing :mrgreen:

I just stick a couple of empty 12 gauge casings in my ears....................

I'm jking i use the foam ear plugs.

Does anyone have experience with peltor tac 6's? My r/s electronic portion is crapping out after only 6 or so usages.

Sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes squeals and crap.

Really annoying, I though they would be decent for the $80 price tag (if I remember right)

Is there any sort of warranty?

Maybe shooting in a concrete bunkers creates too much sound pressure for them...

bellofello said:
Does anyone have experience with peltor tac 6's? My r/s electronic portion is crapping out after only 6 or so usages.

Sometimes works, sometimes not, sometimes squeals and crap.

Really annoying, I though they would be decent for the $80 price tag (if I remember right)

Is there any sort of warranty?

Maybe shooting in a concrete bunkers creates too much sound pressure for them...

I use electronic muffs and had a similar experience with Peltor. The high $$$ (150.00) muffs lasted a couple of trips and then the electronics died. I replaced them with the Peltor Tac 6.5 and the electronics in the left ear muff died.

I had a set of Caldwell muffs that I'd given the wife when I bought the Peltors (upgraded?) and they still work. So in the end I swore off Peltor and bought another set of el cheapo Caldwell muffs and they are still working.

DHonovich said:
Hearing protection is not something you want to skimp out on.
Agreed. I "double up" with plugs and muffs. I can't quote db numbers from the sofa but I look and buy the highest I can get. Have 2 muffs and buy plugs as needed.

Back