• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where has the time gone?

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I haven't been very active here in awhile, life and family demanded the attention and energy.

But I wanna share some I what we've worked on here on the home front!

1780787_10201907603586797_1696131382_n.jpg

1560541_10201653989846612_159340435_n.jpg

This is Handsome George!

1527119_10201552549950678_348706936_n.jpg

I have more but it's taking FOREVER to get pages to open! Signal is slow this morning but when I'm able I'll come back to this.

At the moment I have almost an hour invested in this thread already! LOL!

Awesome Brad. We have discussed getting some chickens. Any advice on getting started, what to do and what to avoid?

Lol, sure whaddya wanna know?

Getting started? We had a bunch of chicks, some hatchlings. We had to do a brood box with a heat lamp, after all its this time of year that hatchlings begin coming available.

I don't like having a brooder. If you have children that want to experience raising chicks, it may be worth doing. It's a mess and it takes more than just the financial investment but the cost per chick is significantly less. However, depending on the breed, most cases you'll not know the sex so it's possible to buy a dozen chicks and end up with a bunch of roosters. We did and many others have done the same.

Some breeds (hybrids) can be sexed by color soon after hatching. These are typically catagorized into two groups, black sex links and red sex links. Either is supposed to be better egg layers or better meat birds because of hybrid vigor.

That said, I bought 5 Marans, (which is what handsome George is) at a great price late last season. They're typically 12 to $15 a bird, but we had saved and found them locally for $8 each. The Marans with the exception of the rooster, are our best egg layers.

Additionally, anything purchased as a chick now, will not begin laying till fall and will also then likely go into molt before winter and egg production may stop altogether. It's very frustrating to have a dozen laying birds and suddenly they all stop. The Marans that we got late last season were younger and didnt go into molt and began laying during the hard freezing part of winter and have been laying like champs since.

They take time and effort. They need fresh water and feed daily, if the kids weren't on board here I don't know we could have done it.

Oh! The pic above if the eggs; the larger eggs in the top are turkey eggs, the dark brown eggs are from our Marans. Other are from other brown egg layers and one that lays a white egg.

In closing for now, it depends on what you want. You kind of need a plan that extends into the fall. How many eggs do you want each day or by the week. How much are you willing to pay per bird? Will you be selling eggs? How much room do you have? Can you wait till fall before they begin laying or should you look for nearly mature birds? Eggs or meat birds too? Are you willing to risk buying roosters with hatchlings?

Take a look at different breeds and see what you like. The history behind many is very interesting in most cases.

Come back with anything else you think of!!!

Very good looking birds. My flock has whittled down quite a bit in the past year. I'm going to replenish soon. I want to raise a full flock of meat birds to process myself. But at one point in spring of 12 I was getting 18 eggs a day. I couldn't give them away!!!!

Good info. My GF has been bugging me for chickens for quite a while. As much as I like eggs and chicken meat, the upkeep and cleanup is a major road block for me, esp. where I live. If I had property or more space between me and my neighbors think I would be more on board with it.

Great to see you posting again!!

Diesel that's awesome! Out of how many birds? We usually get 5 or so a day.

Here's Darla the rooster. We thought he was a hen when we got him thus the name. We eventually have him away.

1374133_10200923419422808_1369710588_n.jpg

He's one of the black sex link/black star hybrids I mentioned earlier. The roosters aren't worth using for anything but meat IMO as the hybrids don't reproduce true to either parent. Unless they're good flock guardians. Otherwise just eat them, they make good chicken soup.

Thanks for the response Brad. I have done a lot of reading on the subject but wanted some first hand input. We'd only be looking for enough layers to provide for us and some family. Every other Amish farm around here sells eggs. Do you have any trouble with predators? I can see them pulling in foxes, coyotes and raccoons. Someone down the raod said they had hawks kill them too.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many I had at the time. I was working alot and all my birds are free range. So difficult to get a good count. Last summer we had a couple hens that hatched chicks. One hen hatched 13 as once! Ive had lots of different breeds. Some bought locally, some ordered, some given to me. I think this time around I'm going to try an get golden comets. My understanding is they are a hearty bird, good for both meat and egg laying.

@Rossignol great looking birds my friend. I'll be moving this summer and hopefully will be able to find a nice little place with enough land to raise some chickens... my wife is all about it! We probably go through at least 2 dozen eggs a week and get ours from folks here in town. But we're looking at having between 15-20 hens to keep our egg needs in check! Should be fun building a coupe as well! You have any pictures of that?

@Rossignol great looking birds my friend. I'll be moving this summer and hopefully will be able to find a nice little place with enough land to raise some chickens... my wife is all about it! We probably go through at least 2 dozen eggs a week and get ours from folks here in town. But we're looking at having between 15-20 hens to keep our egg needs in check! Should be fun building a coupe as well! You have any pictures of that?

15 to 20 should def get you what you need! I like to keep a dozen on hand and when we have extra we just give em away. Just what we like to do, a small way to give back when we're able.

I do have a couple pics of the coop, or at least the first one I made to keep about 6 birds.

1489173_10201908975461093_1094333575_n.jpg

1489061_10201908969860953_1275116199_n.jpg

This one is about 4' x 4'. I built it with scrap material I had on hand and got the galvanized for the roof from work. I used a red barn stain on the plywood and trimmed with cedar, also scrap.

I put it on runners so I could drag it around with the truck if I had to, and I've had to. There is the small door for the birds to get in and out and a larger door on the opposite end big enough to get in and clean it out.

What you're seeing with the doors running the all the way across, one is an egg door right behind the nesting boxes, the one at the top is just to be able to open as a vent and for light, and the one on the bottom is also for cleaning and for the eggs that are laid on the floor.

Right now they're in a shed to get them through the winter. The coop isn't big enough for all of them and I have electric in the shed for the heat lamp and for a light to keep them laying through the shorter days.

Thanks for the response Brad. I have done a lot of reading on the subject but wanted some first hand input. We'd only be looking for enough layers to provide for us and some family. Every other Amish farm around here sells eggs. Do you have any trouble with predators? I can see them pulling in foxes, coyotes and raccoons. Someone down the raod said they had hawks kill them too.

We personally haven't though there are fox, coyote, hawks and owls. I have no idea why our birds haven't been hit. Jenny's dad and step mom have lost a lot to raccoons.

My moms old basset hound is usually out with the chickens so I'm hopeful that's the difference. If he barks, I get up and head out the door with a flash light and a shotgun. I've fired at a couple critters and one night saw three coyote watching me. We are totally surrounded by woods and tillable field. It'll be corn this year.

But to date, no problems.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many I had at the time. I was working alot and all my birds are free range. So difficult to get a good count. Last summer we had a couple hens that hatched chicks. One hen hatched 13 as once! Ive had lots of different breeds. Some bought locally, some ordered, some given to me. I think this time around I'm going to try an get golden comets. My understanding is they are a hearty bird, good for both meat and egg laying.

Ours free range too, again to date no problems with hawks even though the birds are often in the field.

I've heard good things about comets. Buff Orpingtons are also good as well as the other red sex links. Egg production should be pretty good, comets are said to be able to lay over 300 eggs a year.

We're wanting to hatch some eggs this year, but we don't have any hens that will sit.

We never realised we had one sitting. Just happened to be walking across the yard and heard peeping under an old stump. She had hatched them in a pile of campfire wood about a hundred feet from the coup. And another hen we found sitting an hatched 5 or 6 about 200 yards back into the woods. She was a little black banty, an camoflaged well. We had issues with raccoons, got almost all of the chicks I ordered a couple years ago. At about 2 months of age.

Ugh, that sux about the raccoons. I'm really very surprised we haven't lost any to predators.

We did lose a few to one of our own dogs. She'd chase anything that ran from her, catch it, and kill it. So one young hen, one layer, and a duck.

This is our red bourbon turkey, Lucy.

1469886_10201337722780133_1853942459_n.jpg

One of our Rhode Island Red hens. I don know her name.

1012477_10201337722940137_1735144119_n.jpg

One of the lovely little Black Copper Marans. She has a name, but I don't know hers either.

1480756_10201337722540127_2145386714_n.jpg

One more of the Marans. Her name is Beauty, but she recently died by getting her head stuck in a wooden crate and then broke her neck. Too bad cuz she was among the best specimen of the hens we had. It's difficult to get a black copper hen with that much copper on the neck and have the feathered shanks. She was actually a show quality bird and others from her lines had been winning at shows.

1452217_10201337722100116_881041_n.jpg

We have two roosters right now. Handsome George pictured above, he's a Blue Copper Marans, and we have another named Henry who is a Black Copper Marans. The blue will produce both blue and black copper. This spring we have to gets the birds separated into groups and the roosters with the hens we want bred.

We can breed the blue copper to Rhode Island Reds to produce a hybrid called a blue belle. We'll see how all that goes.

We also have a few dual purpose birds called Black Javas. I think they're actually considered endangered, there are only about 3 or 400 in the US as I understand. They're larger with small tight combs and very hardy! Sorry, I can't find pics of the Javas.

Both our roosters have large combs and both had frostbite on said combs. But, the guy we got them from said its fortunate that's all that happened as the Marans tend to be very protective of the flock and have been known to stand guard all night outside the coop and freeze to death. He lost one or two this way this year.

And then there's this!!! The rewards, fresh brown eggs (though the turkey eggs rock) cheddar cheese, and habanero hot sauce!

71418_10201611359420878_17988434_n.jpg

I LOVE Egg sandwiches! The wife thinks I'm crazy... I just tell her to keep that to herself and let me enjoy my simple tastes:p

@Rossignol you don't keep a fence by the road? Guess they just stick around the yard huh?

Dude, the egg sandwiches are the best!!! I can eat them everyday and when we were broke, we had eggs...

Nope, no fence. They stay away from the road but they'll go 100 yards into the field.

Back