• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where has the time gone?

unugusys.jpg
9eganaba.jpg
savagu8u.jpg
demedyqe.jpg
Unfortunately lost some to our own dogs too. My black lab will not bother them, he never has. But I also have an aussie/heeler mix. And the girlfriend has a red heeler mix. We have to keep an eye on them with the young birds. They don't bother the old hens or roosters. I've also got a miniature billy goat that free roams, and sleeps in the chicken coup. That may help with the critter control.

Last edited:
Thanks. He's a trip. He loves the tire swing I hung for him. He wants you to swing it for him to ram. And he will do it for hours.

Thanks. He's a trip. He loves the tire swing I hung for him. He wants you to swing it for him to ram. And he will do it for hours.

We must see pics or video of the goat playing with the swing!

We had a goat briefly when my kids wanted to get into 4H. He like the tire swing too!

I agree, pics if you're able!

@Rossignol , when ya gonna come out and shoot with me? You don't need a firearm, you know that. I'll be at the club tomorrow setting up the 3D course, let me know what I need to bring.

I don't think I can upload video via tapatalk with my phone. But I will definitely try an get some pics up when my lady gets home from Kentucky to take some.

OA! Turns out my boss says I'm free tomorrow!!!

She said all I gotta do is put a headlight in her car, after that I'm good!

Only gun I got is an old field model Winny Ranger on loan. I do have some ammo though.

OA! Turns out my boss says I'm free tomorrow!!!

She said all I gotta do is put a headlight in her car, after that I'm good!

Only gun I got is an old field model Winny Ranger on loan. I do have some ammo though.

I'll bring a couple toys... :) I'll be up there at 9 but let me know when you can make it. We have 3-4 hours of work. The club's calendar is open so the ranges should be open as well.. Be thrilled to have you as my guest.

How far are you guys from Toledo or the MI border? I may have to make a road trip some weekend and meet up with you guys

How far are you guys from Toledo or the MI border? I may have to make a road trip some weekend and meet up with you guys

We are both at the far SW corner of OH. About 200 miles give or take per Google maps.

We are both at the far SW corner of OH. About 200 miles give or take per Google maps.
Well have to plan something for the summer. Thats a doable trip if we can make a day of it. ;-D

Heck i can even bring some bows and crossbows to mix it up

I'm game. Maybe make it a halfway trip if we can figure out where there is a range in the middle...

OA, sounds great! I can't get out of here that early, but I'll let you know! I'm excited, I almost never have free time and haven't been able to do any shooting in I don't know how long!!!

MikeD, I used to sometimes work up north in Toledo, seems like it was 3 1/2 or maybe 4 hours, that was from cincy at the time... It would be AWESOME to get together!

And to stay on topic, here's a random chicken. And a duck. LOL!

1457501_10201337720780083_1061597590_n.jpg

For what it's worth, I absolutely don't care about being off topic here.

I just wanted a reason to post another chicken pick! :lol:

Incidentally, the Rhode Island Reds and the duck are BFFs. They all go together, like their own little flock.

Ugh, that sux about the raccoons. I'm really very surprised we haven't lost any to predators.

We did lose a few to one of our own dogs. She'd chase anything that ran from her, catch it, and kill it. So one young hen, one layer, and a duck.

This is our red bourbon turkey, Lucy.

1469886_10201337722780133_1853942459_n.jpg

One of our Rhode Island Red hens. I don know her name.

1012477_10201337722940137_1735144119_n.jpg

One of the lovely little Black Copper Marans. She has a name, but I don't know hers either.

1480756_10201337722540127_2145386714_n.jpg

One more of the Marans. Her name is Beauty, but she recently died by getting her head stuck in a wooden crate and then broke her neck. Too bad cuz she was among the best specimen of the hens we had. It's difficult to get a black copper hen with that much copper on the neck and have the feathered shanks. She was actually a show quality bird and others from her lines had been winning at shows.

1452217_10201337722100116_881041_n.jpg

We have two roosters right now. Handsome George pictured above, he's a Blue Copper Marans, and we have another named Henry who is a Black Copper Marans. The blue will produce both blue and black copper. This spring we have to gets the birds separated into groups and the roosters with the hens we want bred.

We can breed the blue copper to Rhode Island Reds to produce a hybrid called a blue belle. We'll see how all that goes.

We also have a few dual purpose birds called Black Javas. I think they're actually considered endangered, there are only about 3 or 400 in the US as I understand. They're larger with small tight combs and very hardy! Sorry, I can't find pics of the Javas.

Both our roosters have large combs and both had frostbite on said combs. But, the guy we got them from said its fortunate that's all that happened as the Marans tend to be very protective of the flock and have been known to stand guard all night outside the coop and freeze to death. He lost one or two this way this year.

Bourbon turkey, they have those?!

I've seen bourbon chicken at the mall food court, but I always assumed that was some kind of sauce... :D

Lol, LES!

I believe when they're dead it describes a sauce or glaze of some sort. While they're alive it may mean something else ...

Back