• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Where's all the AMMO?

John A. said:
I personally even made a decision to sell certain firearms I owned (and some very nice and expensive ones) that I seldom used or were oddball calibers in order to better consolidate what calibers/gauges that I needed to buy for so I could concentrate on my favorites and more popular and less expensive calibers so I could maximize my budget to get the most of what I could. That's how sure that I was that I was right. And I sadly must say that I don't regret it at this point.

I've just recently (within the last year) started hoarding away ammo. My wife always used to roll her eyes when we'd go to our LGS or Wallyworld and she know I was headed straight to the sporting goods sections... "Are you buying ammo again???"..... "You know it :D ". I"m glad I did now, because I've got a good little stash to hold me over for better times. I also made smart decisions when buying guns, and usually stuck with common calibers when I could. But I'm in the same boat John, I don't nearly go shooting as often as I used to. When I take the AR out, I purposely only load a few mags and limit myself to that. I wish I would've started sooner, but then again I only bought my first firearm about 4 years ago.

I really like how you've mentioned the food storage, because you know this "prepper" lifestyle that everyone thinks so oddball, or likes to watch on Nat Geo, really was the way of life not even a century ago. There's nothing wrong with having some food, ammo and supply stores saved just for hard times.

With the advent of Supermarkets and chain-stores, society has been fooled into thinking it will always be available. I'll be honest, I'm certainly not as prepared as I should be, but at least I've got some cans of ammo for all the guns I own, about a month or so of food and water, and plenty of supplies to hold me over for a little while. Once I can actually settle in one place, my gears will shift towards the long haul.

Self sufficiency and preparedness is the only retirement I'm counting on.

JohnA. your reasons for consolidation are reasons I am implementing into new firearm purchases. If I cannot purchase ammo for it, what use is it going to be too me.... Which sadly rules out a large number of good firearms. However, the tried and true Marlin 336 30-30 is not on the ban list :p That ammo is still pretty readily available :D As are some modern bolt rifle calibers and some 7.62x54r (firearms and ammo).

Sad that my original purchasing wants are being put to the side but I don't want to fork out hundreds of dollars and not be able to put it to good use. I need something that can reach out a little more accurately then my Mossy anyhow :) Win-Win lol

John A. said:
Darkhawk40 said:
Exactly. That really and truly was my point.

I bought my 715T well before the scare started and the ammo shortage began but because of work and weather, never really got to enjoy it much. And now that the weather is starting to get better and work is easing up on me a bit, I'd love to plink from 150 yards. Alas. lol. I'm down to about 100 rounds and it feel like I'm firing gold rounds.

If I could find a meaningful amount of ammo that I felt like I needed, I'd buy it on the spot. Matter of fact, I'd buy it on the spot even if you were standing in line right beside of me. (That's just how I roll LOL :lol: )

But since I was purchasing a little more ammo than I was shooting, after some time of doing that, I have a comfortable supply put back and haven't been pressured to pay these scalper prices, though like les has said, I'm not shooting nearly as much as I normally would because I know that I can't replace what I shoot right now and the well would eventually run dry if I did.

Coincidentally, I also haven't bought any ammo at all in several months now. Not that I could if I wanted to.

So, in my humble opinion, if you don't feel that you have enough ammo, you're either very young and new to shooting, or naive to think that ammo will always be available and grossly unprepared.

I hope you don't take that the wrong way, but it's really how I feel. Many of us guys who been around for a while have already been through this rodeo before and saw it coming well in advance and put forth an effort to do something about it. And if we are who you're blaming because you don't have enough bullets, you're blaming the wrong person.

It's like putting up food for the winter. Us older guys all knew winter was coming when the leaves were changing, and knew it's going to be a long time before spring and did something about it while we could and didn't wait until the last minute or get half way through the winter before you realize that you don't have enough in the freezer to make it because by then you're already screwed.

I admit that may be an extreme example, but it's early and I haven't finished my barrel 'o coffee yet and that's the best I've got so far. :)

I personally even made a decision to sell certain firearms I owned (and some very nice and expensive ones) that I seldom used or were oddball calibers in order to better consolidate what calibers/gauges that I needed to buy for so I could concentrate on my favorites and more popular and less expensive calibers so I could maximize my budget to get the most of what I could. That's how sure that I was that I was right. And I sadly must say that I don't regret it at this point.

And since I have bought ammo like that through the years, and we've not been in a shortage for years, I can say with just as much confidence that it wasn't people like me buying it all that caused all this.

I don't want to come across to sound like some kind of ammo guru and have a ton of ammo just laying around all over the place because I don't, but I do have enough extra put back if I decide to go hunting or skeet shooting or what-not every now and then I could.

The only thing I was naive about was the amount of panic and misinformation being spread in our gun community which helps to fuel this shortage. Honestly, our area has been short on ammo for months now as I did see the leaves changing myself, just wasn't able to do anything about it.

Personally, I grew up with guns as my father was a gun collector with more weapons than I could ever possibly remember. As I got older and had children, I made the decision to not have them because my kids were young and to respect the wishes of my then wife. Now that the bitch is gone and the kids are now into double-digits, time to have some target-shooting fun.

Once supply goes back to normal, I will try to always keep a small cache of rounds available just in case. Not a huge cache (because I don't want to be a hoarder), just enough for a few months if something like this happens again.

Life is a great big learning curve. This is just a tiny, minute lesson. :D

Good attitude there Darkhawk40. Live and learn. I think ammo will come back around but that it will take at least a year, maybe longer.

I have kept my ammo fairly common as John A. noted. But that also means the common calibers that will probably be the last to come back. I'm glad I stocked up on ammo over the years and more recently, reloading supplies.

carbinemike said:
Good attitude there Darkhawk40. Live and learn. I think ammo will come back around but that it will take at least a year, maybe longer.

I have kept my ammo fairly common as John A. noted. But that also means the common calibers that will probably be the last to come back. I'm glad I stocked up on ammo over the years and more recently, reloading supplies.

Now that's where I'm seriously lacking knowledge and equipment. Once again, reloading ammo just adds another tool to the box of self sufficiency. Now if only making black powder and brass cases were easy ;)

Darkhawk40 said:
The only thing I was naive about was the amount of panic and misinformation being spread in our gun community which helps to fuel this shortage. Honestly, our area has been short on ammo for months now as I did see the leaves changing myself, just wasn't able to do anything about it.

Personally, I grew up with guns as my father was a gun collector with more weapons than I could ever possibly remember. As I got older and had children, I made the decision to not have them because my kids were young and to respect the wishes of my then wife. Now that the bitch is gone and the kids are now into double-digits, time to have some target-shooting fun.

Once supply goes back to normal, I will try to always keep a small cache of rounds available just in case. Not a huge cache (because I don't want to be a hoarder), just enough for a few months if something like this happens again.

Life is a great big learning curve. This is just a tiny, minute lesson. :D

I've never been sure of what the definition of 'hoarder' is. I mean, how much (of whatever) do you have to have to qualify? I've got what I consider a small stash of ammo in a half dozen calibers in the ammo box I built a couple months ago. About 40lbs worth, with room for maybe another 5 lbs or so. Some of it is 15 years old or more, some I bought in the last month. Some folks would probably call that hoarding, and others would laugh about how little it is.

To me it's just about right for a little practice/fun now and again, and hunting/varmint control for a couple years or more. I don't have any plans to get into a lengthy shootout with anyone, so I figure HD ammo doesn't need to last more than 30 seconds or so, win or lose. :D

aksavanaman said:
Now that's where I'm seriously lacking knowledge and equipment. Once again, reloading ammo just adds another tool to the box of self sufficiency. Now if only making black powder and brass cases were easy

Stop over at the ammo/reloading area. The moderators Nitesite, Oli and others more experienced than I can tell you what you need to know. It isn't that hard or expensive to get started. It's a great hobby and in the event of a national disaster you'll be a lot more popular than the guy that collected stamps.

Hoarder is a relative term. I have friends that I would definitely say are ammo hoarders with 10x what I have. Then again people in my family would probably say I have more than I need.

Check out your local "Traders Guide/Post". Similar to a community flea market of used goods but on paper lol.. Mine here in Johnstown has a TON of reloading stuff and brass is always being swapped out for other brass or components, sights, etc... I have my eye on some 30-30 brass. 20rnds is $4 :O I need to know I can get some Large Rifle Primers though

Im about ready to make the switch to a pellet gun. Seriously walmart has this crosman M4-177 tactial pellet rifle that looks kinda fun. Plenty of ammo for those.

BowerR64 said:
Im about ready to make the switch to a pellet gun. Seriously walmart has this crosman M4-177 tactial pellet rifle that looks kinda fun. Plenty of ammo for those.

Nothing wrong with that. I've got an old pump up daisy I pop varmints with occasionally. There's a lot of options available. Might want to explore blackpowder guns. Also a variety of primitive weapons such as atlatls, slings (not the rubber band kind) and so on. Making a thrower is a fun and interesting thing to do. Don't restrict yourself to modern tech. :D

I've made it a habit for years of buying more ammo and shooting supplies than I use. Sometimes that's a little - other time a lot. Now I reload key calibers and only look for 22LR, 7.62 x 39 and 12G in factory ammo (all of which I have on hand). 12G will be my next reload. After the last election I KNEW what the mention of AWB would do to ammo and supplies - and it did. As I was not starved I simply bought at a faster rate (from the first mention) at REASONABLE prices and tempered buying accordingly as prices and demand spiked.

I'm shooting a very regular schedule and still finding what I need to keep up my habit of staying ahead BUT I can and do walk away from pricing that I do not care for.

There are a lot of new gunners and new reloaders too. Many of them hawk Wally World, Cabelas, Dick's and other big box stores - that's all they know. I rarely buy on the net. St. Louis is a good gun and ammo town. There are many options beyond the obvious that I named. I have relationships with many shops that appreciate customers and actually remember a face and a name. Sure I have to work harder to keep my plan on track but most of that is in the form of phone calls and e-mail. I don't dash from store-to-store and I don't wait in lines.

My opinion - people are responsible for their own happiness and well being first.

There are a LOT of factors that contribute to the current and recent arms market. I've yet to see a well distilled analysis. It is what it is and when I hear people say things like 'when it gets back to normal' I do give a slight eye roll and look for my crystal ball. Things don't go back they only go forward!

*steps off the soap box*

mingaa said:
I've made it a habit for years of buying more ammo and shooting supplies than I use. Sometimes that's a little - other time a lot. Now I reload key calibers and only look for 22LR, 7.62 x 39 and 12G in factory ammo (all of which I have on hand). 12G will be my next reload. After the last election I KNEW what the mention of AWB would do to ammo and supplies - and it did. As I was not starved I simply bought at a faster rate (from the first mention) at REASONABLE prices and tempered buying accordingly as prices and demand spiked.

I'm shooting a very regular schedule and still finding what I need to keep up my habit of staying ahead BUT I can and do walk away from pricing that I do not care for.

There are a lot of new gunners and new reloaders too. Many of them hawk Wally World, Cabelas, Dick's and other big box stores - that's all they know. I rarely buy on the net. St. Louis is a good gun and ammo town. There are many options beyond the obvious that I named. I have relationships with many shops that appreciate customers and actually remember a face and a name. Sure I have to work harder to keep my plan on track but most of that is in the form of phone calls and e-mail. I don't dash from store-to-store and I don't wait in lines.

My opinion - people are responsible for their own happiness and well being first.

There are a LOT of factors that contribute to the current and recent arms market. I've yet to see a well distilled analysis. It is what it is and when I hear people say things like 'when it gets back to normal' I do give a slight eye roll and look for my crystal ball. Things don't go back they only go forward!

*steps off the soap box*

Thanks. Your statement is the oft forgotten "truth" ;)

Darkhawk40 said:
Unfortunately, we've hit a nexus of unnecessary panic and misinformation.

Every so many years, the government orders a huge quantity of ammo (at bulk pricing) and spreads it out over several departments for several years (1.6 billion rounds over the next 6 years, I believe).

Couple that with the silly "they're going to take my gun meme" floating around resulting in people are hoarding ammo at silly rates, you have this extreme shortage.

Right now, gun owners as a whole regarding this shortage, have become their own worst enemy.

Not exactly what the article quoted the DHS as saying to Congressional inquiry, as I remember.
"Despite reports that the department was trying to buy up to 1.6 billion rounds over five years, he said that is not true. He later clarified that the number is closer to 750 million.

He said the department, on average, buys roughly 100 million rounds per year."

Not exactly, below it the quoted, quote reported by Fox News:

"Despite reports that the department was trying to buy up to 1.6 billion rounds over five years, he said that is not true. He later clarified that the number is closer to 750 million.

He said the department, on average, buys roughly 100 million rounds per year".

So the DHS official can't divide ! 750m/5years=150 million rounds a years.
He was only off by 50% !

From the research I've done, this DHS ammo "hoarding" news is a bit misleading. What they've done is place a tentative order for 1.6 Billion rounds over that 5 year time period, but have not actually asked the manufactures to deliver on this order, i.e... "We could possibly need this many AT MOST, but here's what we need at the moment".

I really think our ammo shortage has more to do with the the hysteria the last few months, as it does Gov't agencies buying them for possible civil unrest. Now... I'm not defending DHS... believe me, there are many words I would like to say to Ms. Janet Napalitano that would probably get me kicked out... I just think there are other pressing political battles to fight than ammo purchases by DHS.

AK, I can agree that our ammunition shortage is mostly due to the civilian market exploding with the fear of a ban. However, DHS and other Gov't agencies are putting some stress on the manufacturers with some outrageous orders (Future or Present needs being fulfilled)... Either way I am looking into other calibers and platforms lol

Itsricmo said:
AK, I can agree that our ammunition shortage is mostly due to the civilian market exploding with the fear of a ban. However, DHS and other Gov't agencies are putting some stress on the manufacturers with some outrageous orders (Future or Present needs being fulfilled)... Either way I am looking into other calibers and platforms lol

I totally agree with ya ricmo! I'm sure that when DHS tells Federal, Winchester... Remmington (whoever really) that they might need XXX,XXXX,XXX,XXX number of rounds... you bet that just from a financial standpoint it would be smart of them to make sure they can fulfill that order. You know, it's all just one big boondoggle!

aksavanaman said:
Itsricmo said:

I totally agree with ya ricmo! I'm sure that when DHS tells Federal, Winchester... Remmington (whoever really) that they might need XXX,XXXX,XXX,XXX number of rounds... you bet that just from a financial standpoint it would be smart of them to make sure they can fulfill that order. You know, it's all just one big boondoggle!

Like I said in my original reply in this thread, we've hit a nexus. Sucks, but it's allowed me to focus on accessorizing! Hopefully, I can put a few pics up soon.

Explore other caliber options! :D 30-06, 30-30, .243 and some of the magnum calibers are very abundant and readily available! But accessorizing is totally cool too :lol:

Itsricmo said:
Explore other caliber options! 30-06, 30-30, .243 and some of the magnum calibers are very abundant and readily available! But accessorizing is totally cool too

I have not noticed a big impact on 30-06 either. It seems readily available yet. Probably becasue it's not available many modern semi autos.

Well .270 isn't a semi-auto caliber and yet I cannot find any in the area! Maybe it is a weird caliber everyone thinks is going to disappear lol 30-06 is probably more abundant right now then .22LR ever has been :lol: (That's a far stretch!)

Back