• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which for my Mav 88 ?

Crabs

I already know that I need/want a shorter LOP stock on my Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge. It's the one with a 20" barrel and 7 + 1 capacity. Problem I need a little help with deciding which one I need to get. I do have it narrowed down to 2 possibilities, they are: a Phoenix Kicklite OR a Hogue over-molded 12" LOP . I already understand that the Hogue will run me around $55-$65 bucks and the Kicklite will be around $100 give or take a few bucks. I am 6' and my wife who plans to train with it as well is 5'-6". I originally figured on buying the Kicklite BUT the simplicity of use of the Hogue is rather appealing. So what say you folks, what did you get and why?

Thanks for your input!

Oh and I did a search and had no luck finding a thread asking this question. :(

How about cutting down the factory stock to 12" and adding a slip on LimbSaver recoil pad???

Well I've actually thought about that BUT in order to end up with a total of 12" of pull wouldn't the original stock need to be cut down to about 10 3/4" because isn't the limbsaver about an 1 1/4" thick? And IF one was to cut the original off that much would there be enough left to drill and put screws to hold the limbsaver pad? I have no idea but hopefully you or someone here can say for sure. :)

The slip on LimbSaver will give you 1" added to your LOP.

You can use a "slip on" LimbSaver and won't have to worry about drilling.

If you do use a regular pad and have a plastic factory stock you don't need to worry about drilling, the screw holes run the length of the stock.

I have done a wood stock and a plastic stock,,,,it's not a big deal when using the slip on LimbSaver.

I have the Hogue stock on my 870 it's a great stock. If it's too short you can add a slip over pad. I like it when I use the gun with heavy winter clothes on or when using a squared up defensive shooting stance.

I also have a ATI Akita on my 835 which is an adjustable stock. Not sure if you are aware of this one. It's a little heavier but it will give some flexibility while still keeping the traditional stock look and feel.

Thumbs up for Hogue here too, I have four of them now. The Hogue recoil pad is as soft as a Limbsaver and the short LOP really allows the shooter to square up behind the shotgun...

Thanks for the input guys! I was wanting the shorter LOP in order to "square" around to shoot, and my wife needs it for that PLUS it should help her be able to reach/operate the action. To the guys who've suggested cutting off the factory stock, IF I cut of an inch and a quarter and add a limbsaver pad (slip-on OR standard screw on) and end up with a LOP of 12" will I need to be the least bit concerned with the stock tapering off too much and therefore making the fit too loose around the open end of the slip-on pad?

I cut a factory plastic stock and put the small size slip on LimbSaver on and have no problem.

old mossy, do you know exactly how long your "cut off" factory stock is without the slip on LimbSaver pad? Thanks for your help.

old mossy, do you know exactly how long your "cut off" factory stock is without the slip on LimbSaver pad? Thanks for your help.

My LOP without the LimbSaver is 12". With it is 13".

I cut mine to fit my LOP,not to copy a Hogue.

You have quite a difference between you and your wifes LOP.

"You have quite a difference between you and your wifes LOP."

Yes sir, you're exactly right. That's the reason I started out thinking of getting a Kicklite because it's LOP is so easily adjustable. However, we both like a traditional stock better than an AR style because of the pistol grip AND I'm 100% sure I/we would need and or want a Shoten Armory extended action release lever which is an additional $45. So if I buy a kicklite stick at say, $105 and the lever at $45 for a total of $150 extra where as if I get a 12 LOP houge for about $60 or better yet money wise cut of the mavericks stock and buy a LimbSaver for around $35-$40. Don't get me wrong but IF the gun will work for us with the less expensive setup it would be easier to get a nice bright light sooner for the gun.

Also my wife is NOT very likely to "train" much in order to even think of how to adjust the LOP on an adjustable stock.

Last edited:
I'm about your wife's height. I have the Houge 12" stock and found that it's just a little too short. So I bought a Beartooth slip-on pad kit that lets you add as much length or as little as you need depending on which stock you're using or what you're wearing. It's nice to be able to move it around to different guns and stocks, and the extra padding on top of the recoil pad already permanently installed on the stock is a nice bonus. I took it out last weekend and my 12 gauge caused me no pain at all. :cool:
http://m.basspro.com/Beartooth-Recoil-Pad-Kits/product/35502/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Ok here's what I got so far after looking at the gun a bit this morning. LOP with 1" factory recoil pad is 14- 1/2" without the 1" recoil pad the stock is 13-1/2" LOP so in order to end up with a total LOP of 12" I will need to take off 2-1/2" so at that point the LOP for the stock itself would be 11" so when a LimbSaver recoil pad which is 1" LOP is added the total LOP for the shortened stock would be 12". I do not have any calipers but from what I can tell the measurements of the cross section of this shortened stock will be approx 4-1/4" X 1-1/2" From what I can tell from looking at the LimbSaver fitting charts their number 10002 (classic) or 10801 (air tech) 4-5/8" X 1-5/8" comes in as the closest fit, (which also happens to be for a Mossberg youth model with wood stock) however in addition to the approx 1/8" in both measurements needing to be removed the overall profile look s as thought it will need to be reshaped a bit to fit and look right. Anyone have any better ideas as far as which of their recoil pads would be best fit-wise?

So after adding a recoil pad of 1" thickness the total LOP will be 12"

Last edited:
That's more adventurous than Ive ever been able bring my self to. You gonna go for it?

That's more adventurous than Ive ever been able bring my self to. You gonna go for it?
Sure, I see no reason not to. I'm just gonna try as much as possible to get educated on all the "ins and outs" of doing this sort of thing. To me it seems obvious that the hardest most tedious part is to either get a recoil pad that is ready to just screw on the shortened stock OR (the more likely) a "grind to fit" recoil pad and shape it to fit the newly. The one thing I do not have tool-wise to do this is a belt sander of some sort. I do have a couple of "palm sanders" and one of those might work OK BUT obviously a good belt sander would be much better because of it's size would make it possible to cover the entire butt end of the stock to bring it down to a nice smooth & straight end to attach the recoil pad to and the belt sander would be easier to use for the "grinding" (fitting) process on the recoil pad as well. I have posted of Facebook asking if any of my friends close to the town I live in happen to have a belt sander that they would let me barrow BUT so far no response, we'll see. I'm sure if I don't get access to one that I can figure out a way. I think I can get a LimbSaver recoil pad for this for about $25-$35 and I don't mind the work one bit. I just wish I was already finished. ;)

In the absence of a belt sander, you may be able to do a block of wood, a 2x maybe, and wrap with sand paper?

Back