• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Which for my Mav 88 ?

In the absence of a belt sander, you may be able to do a block of wood, a 2x maybe, and wrap with sand paper?
Yes sir, very good idea. Thank you. AS far as other tools, I have a table saw, power miter box but it's a 10" not a 12", I have a fairly full set of files/rasps for wood/metal, palm sander (as previously mentioned) , I also have a bench grinder with stones mounted, no brush and an electric drill.

Just remember to preserve the pitch angle when you make your new cut. I cut mine with a power miter saw and just braced it against the fence.
I also did in in two cuts, (just in case).

If you are going to use the stock recoil pad you will more than likely need to redrill the pad for one screw hole. No big deal.

You can just use a slip-on Limbsaver pad after you cut the stock, like in Old Mossy's pic above. They come in small, medium and large and have some stretch to them so one of them is bound to fit. You don't have to worry about lining up screw holes and if you happen to have more than one gun with stocks of similar size at the butt you can move it from gun to gun. They run about $25 at Wally World.

Just remember to preserve the pitch angle when you make your new cut. I cut mine with a power miter saw and just braced it against the fence.
I also did in in two cuts, (just in case).

If you are going to use the stock recoil pad you will more than likely need to redrill the pad for one screw hole. No big deal.
Thanks, yes I figured on maybe two or even three cuts just to confirm in between cuts that I'm NOT getting it too short for us. I fact as I've had more time to think of it, I would be very surprised if my wife would really use the shotgun so I would be safer getting it to a length that really works for me. She'll go for a pistol if need be. I really think she won't like the recoil of the 12 gauge.
As far as pitch angle, I have measured from the recoil pad or butt end and hopefully I'll be able to keep that angle consistent.

You can just use a slip-on Limbsaver pad after you cut the stock, like in Old Mossy's pic above. They come in small, medium and large and have some stretch to them so one of them is bound to fit. You don't have to worry about lining up screw holes and if you happen to have more than one gun with stocks of similar size at the butt you can move it from gun to gun. They run about $25 at Wally World.
Actually I have wondered about that. I am curious as to rather or not the raw hard edges of the non recoil padded stock would over time gouge through the slip-on recoil pad? Which makes me also wonder if I would be better off using the original recoil pad UNDER the slip-on pad instead of using only the slip-on? thoughts?

If it was me I'd cut it to fit "your" LOP. Then let your wife fire it and see about how she feels with the 12ga. You can always cut again.;)

Actually I have wondered about that. I am curious as to rather or not the raw hard edges of the non recoil padded stock would over time gouge through the slip-on recoil pad? Which makes me also wonder if I would be better off using the original recoil pad UNDER the slip-on pad instead of using only the slip-on? thoughts?

Take some sand paper and just hit the edges a little. Not a problem.

If it was me I'd cut it to fit "your" LOP. Then let your wife fire it and see about how she feels with the 12ga. You can always cut again.;)
That's what I meant to convey, I just didn't do a very good job of doing so. Sorry. Yes, at this point when I do cut the stock down I will make it a length that feels best to me. Hopefully I'll know when it's time to call it good and be happy with it and fight the temptation to "take just a little more off" and end up with something TOO short. :)

AS far as knocking off the edges with sand paper, yes I would do that anyway, BUT as I understand it the LimbSaver recoil pads are much softer than the Maverick/Mossberg recoil pads and I didn't know if even with the edges rounded over a bit with sandpaper if the hard plastic would tend to cut threw the pad. Thanks, it's good to know it's not something I will have to worry about if I decide to go with a slip-on.

Thanks guys for the help. any other ideas would be appreciated, Lord knows I can use all the help I can get. ;)

by the way old mossey, that wood stock is NOT the same as the black one in your other picture, right? The black one looks like the texture of a synthetic stock to me eyes.

by the way old mossey, that wood stock is NOT the same as the black one in your other picture, right? The black one looks like the texture of a synthetic stock to me eyes.

Sorry about that,yes the first pic is a wood stock, the second is a plastic stock showing the slip on LimbSaver.

old mossy, Does the LimbSaver slip-on stay in place well even if it is used over a standard recoil pad OR does it tend to want to roll over a bit after a few shots?

Oh and there's a slip-on pad in the picture of the wood stock to so was it used on the wood stock as well? Just curious. :)

Last edited:
I'm just cheap and haven't bought another LimbSaver, I use the same one.

It does fit better on the plastic stock. Haven't had any problems.

On the wood stock there was a little bit of movement , I took some double sided carpet tape and wrapped the end of the stock and it cured it.

I don't use a regular pad underneath the LimbSaver.

Sweet, so the only reason I might want to keep and use the factory (reshaped to fit) or some other screw on recoil pad would basically be IF I were to shorten the stock TOO much and need to add an inch of LOP BACK to the stock and use the slip-on over that, correct?

I just did a grind to fit recoil pad yesterday for an old SxS.
A belt sander is a MUST!
Sanding with a block will take a month.
If you think you will ever have another use for it, I would get one.

I just did a grind to fit recoil pad yesterday for an old SxS.
A belt sander is a MUST!
Sanding with a block will take a month.
If you think you will ever have another use for it, I would get one.
Thanks LTB45, I don't know if I would ever use a belt Sander again or not, though I guess it's possible. However, I'm just before getting into my 60's and even though I've actually built two houses for us over the years (that won't happen again, I'm too old and have a bad back) I've never "had to have" a belt sander in the past. Never built my own cabinets, furniture or anything.

I was lucky. Found mine in my mothers garage. Dad had everything but passed 15 yeats ago. No motor, so I modified a pully to fit on my tablesaw. 2 minute swap out.

Harbor Freight has them on sale for $80 all the time.

Back