• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Workin for a livin....

If you ant a used tig machine, look for a Miller syncrowave 250 . I prefer a transformer machine, they last for ever. New inverter machines are nic , small and light, but add computers and chips in a dirty shop environment and you will hav electrical issues eventually. I as well like the Lincoln precision tig 225. Add a water cooler and you have a great machine.

Well I'm just a hobbyist, so I can keep it a bit cleaner, plus I don't need a serious duty cycle. Mostly I weld with gas, but I've done a little TIG (on a $10,000 machine!) I'm mainly welding car body sheetmetal, some stainless parts, and I would like to learn aluminum.

There are some pretty good multi machines these days. Lincoln has a machine that is a grand that does tig, mig and stick, and you can pick it up and put it in the trunk of your guy by yourself.

Finished this BBQ cart for some professional BBQ guy. He wanted a cart that he could store 3 kinds of wood in, a space for BBQ tools, knives, cutting boards etc, and a nice work space above.
This guy has one of the most impressive tow behind your truck BBQ units I have ever seen. He told me he had it built in Texas by some BBQ gurus and it cost of 35 K. Anyway, he wanted a cart for when he goes to competitions, this is what I came up with. I have about 12 hours into it with paint, fab and sourcing material.image.jpeg

@Deog
Your dog is wondering when you're gonna quit working on the food cart and feed him...
"Oh, crap! Now he's taking pictures! Come on with that ALPO bucko!" ;)

Hey, I read through this whole thread, and some of you fellas have some straight up he-man jobs to deal with. I may complain about how many hours I spend behind a desk, but I'll take that over high pressure diving rigs and chasing down evildoers. :confused:

Got a brand new environment in which to work for twelve hour shifts....

I got the keys handed to me at the dealer and it is my assigned ride so no one else is in it: but I can't take it home.

In the top pic you can see the Charger that I previously occupied. It was really LOW to the ground and was pretty fast, but I like the Tahoe a whole lot more. Not having to climb up and out and twist my left knee with 25-pounds of junk on my body and grind off my boot sole on the pavement just to stand upright makes my left knee really happy!!!

And the installed Whelen lights all around it are as bright as the phikkin' Sun.

Big important feature::: The bench seat behind me (inside the partitioned area) has it's own dedicated A/C and heat with fan controls & temp, to whatever degree I determine, and blower fan speeds and floor or roof vent output. So I can help to make sure that anyone detained with me is not going to be uncomfortable while they are in my work space. That was always a bit of a problem before, where the rear seat couldn't get good temperature control. I believe in treating people as best I can whenever I can.

Welcome back Nitesite. Very nice set of wheels. How is the Chevy small block compared to the Hemi you had in the Charger?

That SUV makes a lot more sense than the Dodge. Sometimes it's like watching a clown car, so see some poor guy 6'-4" and 230 lbs, with a pistol belt etc trying to get in and out.

All the cops here hate Chargers because most of them are big guys and the cars are too small. I'm seeing some new police cars this year and they're all substantial SUVs. Those Chargers will be history soon, and should never have been bought. You can always tell when these decisions are made by some (possibly quite small) outside bureaucrat, who read the specs and cost, but didn't have to stuff himself in and out of a Detroit lowrider all the time.

In Clovis all the cops get to take their cars home, and they park them out in front. This makes the neighbors feel more secure, and gives a Minute-Man appearance to the whole squad. They're telling the citizens, "24/7/365 We're ready to go!"

While that's not 100% possible, still the perception of it gives a boost to the image of the local force. Clovis Ca has a good one too. We're very proud of them.

Does that make this a rare place?

nitesite, I have a question.

Exactly how is the rear portion of the cage secured? Several of our PD's have SUV's due to needing a lot of 4x4 in my area, but most of the rear cage just never looked like they were bolted in well, which could lend itself to a couple different problems. Especially where your gear is concerned.

nitesite, I have a question.

Exactly how is the rear portion of the cage secured? Several of our PD's have SUV's due to needing a lot of 4x4 in my area, but most of the rear cage just never looked like they were bolted in well, which could lend itself to a couple different problems. Especially where your gear is concerned.

Planning something John? Wait, I don't want to know. LOL

No, just the mounting points seem less than ideal on the suv's I've seen around here. But that's not saying a window can't be broken out or nothing probably easier, I was just curious how solid the cage wall to the storage compartment was on the Tahoe.

The Tahoe is much better then the charger. The hemi motor is problematic, drops seats. They are way to thin to begin with. See if you can find any new hemi with over 100 k on the clock, that has not had a major malfunction.
The ford ecoboost suv police interceptor actually has a better motor then the Tahoe, but the rest of the suv is way to light duty, and the Tahoe looks way better.
I still to this day like the crown Vic

Sounds about like my daughter's Magnum. Galled the cam bearings & seized up tight at 89,000 miles.

Sorry, mopar has dropped the ball in the v8 world. Wait till these guys with there mega horsepower hellcats realize what they bought.

The ecoboost nine in the fords is actually a very good engine, lots of power and good mileage.

You will start to see the turbo becoming common place on engines from the factory across the board. Make great power without taxing the engine, and a turbo is actually a very simple principal compared to super chargers and what not.
I noticed the BLM were driving ford raptors, must be nice to have that budget. The raptor is lucky to get 13.5 mpg on a good day if you don't put your foot into it, and the ford 6.2 engine should build more power then it does. GM beats everyone in th crate engine world.

Anyway, congrats on the new polic ride.

I THINK THEY'RE GETTING THE eXPLODER...ERR....eXPLORER here.

Sorry....:mad: caps lock left on

<krap! Insert totally unrelated rant here.....>

For over a decade, AutoCAD's editor has had a button/icon that changes the case of your letters, UPPERCASE to lowercase, & vice versa. Online forums haven't caught up in 10 years o_O ??

A friend of mine got this pic of me welding an inside seam in this pressure vessel. It's 304L stainless, FCAW or dual shield flux core mig welding. Dimensions are 12' diameter with 15' straight side and each elliptical head is another 3'. It still gets legs on that are another 85" but 20" of that will be above the bottom head seam. The straight side shell and elliptical bottom head thickness is 5/16" and the top elliptical head thickness is 1/2". Engineers come up with this stuff. It has what's called a dimple jacket which will have fluid pumped through it at pressure (maybe even just steam) and the temperature difference between the jacket and internal chemical causes the tank to function as a sort of reactor.

So that's me in there welding. I ran two passes, a root pass and cover pass. The circumference is just shy of 38'. On the root pass I had to stop after about two feet but then welded out the rest of it without stopping while crawling in the position you can see in the pic. The cover pass I did the entire circumference without stopping at all. The tank is in a set of rollers so I can turn it in and adjust the speed. For the cover pass, I adjusted the speed faster or slower to account for differences in the root pass with one hand while welding with the other.

image.jpeg

Here's a better pic of the dimple jacket. This is about a week ago and before I put the bottom head on. The bottom head also has a dimple jacket formed to fit. I estimated there are about 7000 dimples which had to be filled in in this jacket alone. They're filled filled using the same dual shield flux core stainless.

image.jpeg

Back