What's new
Mossberg Owners

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Why are you worried about lubing it ?

What is left on the metal after the frog lube regiment ?.....dry ? oily ?

I always thought that finish on those internal parts added a lubricity property for slickness

I know there's a full-version rant post around here somewhere.

Long story short I bought a Para 1911 several years back. First time out the recoil spring lug shattered during live fire and the slide fell off onto the floor. Let's just say that having a 1911 slide shoot back into the frame without a recoil spring is not very comfortable on the hand. The spring shot off down range somewhere and we never did find it. This was one of their high dollar models too. Sent it into Para for warranty repair and they had it for six months with zero communication, yup SIX MONTHS. When they finally got around to sending it back to my local shop their expert gunsmiths had successfully replaced the recoil spring lug, but had royally screwed up the safety. The hammer would drop with the thumb safety fully engaged. I sat it on the counter and never touched it again. The shop owner fixed it up himself and sold it "used" to someone else eventually for a net loss on my part. Was almost a full year before I was rid of it. This incident started me checking serial numbers prior to purchase as well. Turns out the last three digits on the Para were "666". Certainly was the pistol from hell. During the whole ordeal I joined the Para Owner's forum for answers only to find out that just about everyone who joined was having QC and CS issues. My posts detailing my experience were either edited by the site admin or deleted entirely in an effort to keep the site warm and fuzzy. I couldn't freakin believe it and after that it became my mission to steer anyone and everyone I could away from Para for the foreseeable future...

1911's are weird, I read so much about them being crap I don't understand why people put so much praise on them. I can cite more posts about unreliable 1911's then any other pistol on earth.
And the ones they bitch about cost an arm and a leg.
I have a Llama (people complain), it was made in 1938, it shoots 38 super and it has never missed a beat and is a hell of a good shooter. I have peeps that spend 1000 on a "good" 1911 that wont feed an entire mag, one guy's extracts 40 out of 50 , and one that stove pipes every 10th round or so.....I don't get it

The Para was the only one I've had an issue with and shattering in my hand goes a little over and above standard reliability issues.

I have one or two in assorted price ranges and in my experience spending more on one doesn't get you better performance. Better fit and finish yes, but a tighter fit can sometimes lead to reliability issues and being ammo sensitive. Some just take a little more tuning than others...

Frog lube is like a dry lube that seeps into the metal parts. The hotter they become the slicker it becomes as the lube is extracted from the metals during the heat. When it cools off it goes back into the metal and stops carbon from bonding to the metal. You can literally wipe off the carbon with a cloth with no other solvents.

Got so worked up I forgot to offer my $.02 on Kimber.

Great fit and finish, but some of them are picky eaters. That being said, my 3" Ultra CDP II has been flawless and I carry it often. Only issue I've had is that their carbon steel barrels are prone to rust. Had my thumb print rust right into the barrel lug and a bit of rust show up on the outer surface at the muzzle. It buffed right out, but was a real pain in the ass. Gotta be sure to wipe the barrel down after I touch it with bare hands...

No worries. My friend will probably put 1,000 rounds through it over the course of 8 years. And he will probably wipe it down with a diaper after wards lol.

sounds pretty cool, so as it gets hot the metal releases it , like at a molecular level.....as the metal cools it sucks it back up?

sounds like something a team of NASA scientists invent, pretty technical to figure that molecular stuff out

So , If I were to use this on my AR bolt carrier group how many rounds would I get before it is all eventually lost to spreading to other parts ? because if you can just wipe carbon from the bolt tail on an AR15 then I am sold as hell, I probably shoot 400 to 800 rounds a month so it would be awesome

if it comes out when hot and disappears when cold, how would you get rid of the crap that oil carries or suspends as it picks up wear metal and dirt from usage ?.....bake it all back out and wipe it off when hot ?

Can you put it on aluminum ? seems if it "soaks" into steel, it wouldn't act the same on aluminum because they are molecularly different. Like aluminum to steel contact points

Sounds like the soaking in part is the uniqueness of it, and heat is the key to that ....very few parts on a gun gets hot, especially the trigger parts

Congratulations on your new wheel gun WM. I like those grips. The whole outfit should serve you well. Thanks for the great photographs.

Frog lube 2 treatments done.
Apex trigger kit installed… wow smoothed out the trigger pull and dropped it to about 8 lbs perfect pull now.

Estoy Consado…

I'm hearing good things with bolt carrier groups on AR-15. It's really good stuff. However, if you switch you will have to switch for good. Frog Lube eats up petroleum based products for lunch so going to frog lube and back will cause some minor gunking issues.

Also, you need to properly clean your firearm with denatured alcohol first before treating to ensure all petroleum based products have been purged from the metal.

Frog Lube is good on all materials. Cleans, lubes, protects and it's all natural.

Thanks Oli

Carbine I plan on putting 100 rounds through her this weekend.

After I frog lubed her she's slicker than whale shit and the action is so damn smooth now compared to before with the apex kit.

WM,

Did you read my explaination on what causes the discoloration on the trigger???

Nice gun WM. Love the colors in the grips.

12980365755_8ca8f2b592.jpg

I've always liked the Lamo-Camo look that Hogue puts out in their wood grip line-up. In fact, I have a set of them on my Highway Patrolman that go back a few years!

There is magic pixie dust inside of every gun that John Moses Browning had a part in designing....

But Para and Kimber are somewhat far down on the "Top Ten 1911" names from which to buy. Just saying.

Within their price point(s) I would favorably consider others names as worthy of consideration.