• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Yes I saw that a little while ago and wasn't ready to "pull the pin" as the railroad says... I did however just place a purchase with Impact Guns today for a Gen 3 Glock 19, Threaded Barrel and Suppresor sights :D

Awesome.

Yeah, so, words of wisdom for today... when having a firearm shipped to an FFL, make 100% sure that they understand EXACTLY what they're receiving, approximately when and from who...

Apparently, I wasn't clear enough and the FFL that accepted my order of a Glock didn't know it was a pistol (yeah that's right) and rejected the shipment upon arrival........ Hello $25 return shipping and now having $550 tied up in a pistol stuck at a Fedex facility.

Apparently, I wasn't clear enough and the FFL that accepted my order of a Glock didn't know it was a pistol (yeah that's right) and rejected the shipment upon arrival...

How would ANY FFL worth his/her salt NOT know Glock ONLY makes pistols? o_O (as far as I know--not talking about "entrenching tools", etc.)

PS: the FFL who agreed to accept your delivery should pay for ALL fees you incur and make this right... If not, threaten to report them to the ATF. If this doesn't help, then follow through and actually report them to the ATF--most agents are decent people and will do what they can to help you.

Last edited:
Considering that the FFL has to provide their FFL, how can they not know it's coming?

Considering that the FFL has to provide their FFL, how can they not know it's coming?
No, they absolutely knew it was coming. They claimed they didn't know it was a pistol and they refuse to do pistol transfers... which shouldn't be allowed but whatever, it's a free country right??

@Bobster I tried my best to have Impact Guns cut me a break but they have their policy and I respect that. The FFL was actually borderline ridiculous rude when I asked him what it would take to transport the pistol 25 minutes to another FFL to avoid shipping fees, wasted time, etc... his reply was "I'm not traveling all over the damn country for one gun."

So to spare myself further undue stress I just told Impact to issue a Call Tag to which they have and the FFL has not used... that worked out huh? So, I'm calling later today to say ship it today or I'm filing a complaint.

Sorry to hear it Rick. Keep us posted.

When I ordered an unassembled AR lower from Palmetto State I selected an FFL in my area from their list. It's a hardware store with a small gun counter (hunting rifles) that I have bought ammo from a few times. When I went to get it they were in total confusion. He asked me what it was for and suggested I didn't even need a background check as it was a part, not a gun. I had to explain to him why I needed the check. The thought did pop into my head to take it and go but I foresaw a "knock on the door" down the road and didn't want to get them in trouble. He was adamant that "it's not for a handgun, we don't deal in handguns".

Rick, you are more gracious and patient than I.

I would've had a kiniption fit and I would've pointed out how retarded, stupid, and incompetent they were. I would've lost all humanity.

So to to spare myself further undue stress I just told Impact to issue a Call Tag to which they have and the FFL has not used... that worked out huh? So, I'm calling later today to say ship it today or I'm filing a complaint.

It sounds like Impact is not happy and that is understandable. Expect to pay additional shipping to get it to an FFL that WILL accept it. And make sure your FFL is aware of your previous situation. It would probably be a good idea to find an FFL who can handle a suppressor transfer, as well. I have a guy 1/2 mile away from my shop I deal with and have NEVER had a problem. I pay a little more per transfer but they have regular hours and are very amicable. I have another guy I deal with that is a Class III but he is more a hobbyist out of his home and has variable hours... And as I have a CWP, I can walk out with the pistol the same day (FL Law).

What is the law to purchase a pistol in your state? (ie: 3-day wait?, training cert.?, etc.)

I took a look at the ATF website and couldn't find any info on "FFL business rules or practices" or anything pertaining to an acceptable level of service the refusing FFL did not provide. Don't be afraid to call your regional/local ATF office--they are usually in the closest "big" city. They are there to help and generally "normal" people. Someone there will be able to take your info and the refusing FFL's info and maybe decide it is time to pay them a visit (usually unannounced). There also may be state or local "contractual" laws that were not complied with. I would not feel guilty at all putting that FFL out of business and neither should you...

Having been an FFL, I think forwarding it to another FFL will be problematic at best.

If doing it that way, the original company you bought the gun from would have relinquished the gun to the buttholes FFL.

If buttholes business refuses the transfer, then there will be a disrepency in the original companies FFL disposition log.

See, when an FFL ships a gun, by law, he has to write down who he shipped to, and if the local guy forwards it to someone else, there will be a "gap" should the ATF ever have to do a trace on the gun as they sometimes do.

See how this is screwed up? Makes it look like the original seller didn't ship to FFL cornholio.

I second contacting your local atf office and letting them know.

While the butthole has every right to refuse to do a transfer for any reason, he's not doing his self, the original FFL, or you any favors by being a retard. Matter of fact, is causing more grief than necessary.

@John A. Impact is starting to get annoyed now because the fax number they were given for a call tag was incorrect and it's been 4 days since they asked for return shipping. The whole "gap" issue is being covered by having it sent the whole way back to Impact Utah and then forwarded to another local FFL who does deal in Suppressors and the such. I called today to Cornholio and while he seemed a little more easy going he kept saying "I just want this thing out of my shop"... like it's a nuclear bomb. But yet, he refuses to let it leave the shop by any other method than FedEx back to Impact to which he has been hindering from square 1.

@Bobster so long I pay and pass the background check, I walk out with anything I want short of Class III stuff unless paperwork was already processed. No training, license, etc... needed!

@carbinemike I'm hoping to have the thing next week... considering I should have it already.

Impact is starting to get annoyed now because the fax number they were given for a call tag was incorrect and it's been 4 days since they asked for return shipping...I called today to Cornholio and while he seemed a little more easy going he kept saying "I just want this thing out of my shop"... like it's a nuclear bomb. But yet, he refuses to let it leave the shop by any other method than FedEx back to Impact to which he has been hindering from square 1.

So I'm confused--why the hold up? I thought the gun was at FedEx? If Corny refused, how did he end up with it? Is Corny waiting for someone to PAY for shipping? Impact shipped via FedEx, correct? FedEx policy on pistols is that they only ship via "Express" (ie: "next day").

If Corny refused, technically he never had possession of the gun and it should not be in his logbook. If the gun is at his location, it should be logged in and put in a safe until you pick it up. If he did log it in, he is obligated to transfer it to you as it IS your gun since you bought and paid for it.

The duty of any FFL is to provide a paper trail to the ATF should they ask. An FFL can transfer a gun to another FFL easily enough, but it has to be logged in, then logged out to the other FFL who then logs it in and either sells it or puts it in the safe.

@Bobster

If I understand the FFL correct, he refused but the Fedex guy and his boss had no clue what to do with a pistol that's refused so he took it and locked it up until all was situated. I was under the impression that it meant it was in a safe at a fedex warehouse lol

I got confirmation that it has been retrieved for Impact and will be at my new FFL of choice by next Friday. That's two weeks late, $25 later and the new guy telling me he could have saved me $10 off the original price if I would have been willing to wait the two weeks for him to hunt one down lol I didn't even know this FFL existed to begin with but another lesson learned is next time I'll ask around for every gun shop known in town and go talk to the owner (no more online if I can help it). This guy seems pretty cool and also owns one of the oldest, if not the oldest, restaurants in town, Coney Island. I think it's been there, open continuously, since 1922 lol

Sounds like the new FFL is alright.

Maybe he'll throw in a couple 'dogs with the transfer! ;)

Glad to hear you'll have your new Glocky soon! :) I think pics will be REQUIRED... :D And as soon as the gun is in your possession, don't forget to report Corny the FFL...I understand if you don't want to but in this case he deserves it and maybe you'll keep the same thing from happening to someone else...

Maybe he'll throw in a couple 'dogs with the transfer! ;)

Glad to hear you'll have your new Glocky soon! :) I think pics will be REQUIRED... :D And as soon as the gun is in your possession, don't forget to report Corny the FFL...I understand if you don't want to but in this case he deserves it and maybe you'll keep the same thing from happening to someone else...

Oh photos are absolutely needed... I thought "pics or it didn't happen" applied to every firearms purchase? Haha Impact received the Glock and rerouted it first thing today around noon EST, Now the wait begins for it to show up back in town. I'm looking at suppressors when I go to pick her up. Probably won't jump on one right away, due to my unfinished AR but I'll have a better idea of what I'm looking at.

My wife has decided she'd like her own handgun for concealed carry.

We've looked at a few of the usual suspects;
Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, Glock 43 (I think, it's the sub compact single stack 9), Airweight revolver, Taurus something or other (my least favorite, maybe something else

What am I missing? Walther PPS, Beretta Nano, Sigs... Buds has a special on the Walther right now, it's less than the Bodyguard with the laser.

She likes the slim, preferably single stack, sub compact, and manual safety and is open to suggestions. I'm not a fan boy for Glock, but I like Glock sights and the sub compact is a decent fit. Too bad it lacks a manual safety, but a couple of the others do too.

Please advise and thank you!

It's not single stack, but the fns 9c is a awesome package. I like glocks but the lack of external safety is a no go for my lady friend as well. I do like the ruger 9 strike compact. Lite, small and reliable.

My only suggestion would be to find a comfortable compact she likes rather than a sub-compact.

The subs are small, light, and easy to carry but are often very uncomfortable to shoot. This can make training difficult and even painful. If it's uncomfortable to shoot she won't want to shoot it enough to become proficient...

The FNS 9c may be more than we're willing to spend. Though I dig the FNS, heck I want one of my own.

There's a gun store and range not too far where we can rent guns so we'll do that before she decides. I have little experience with any of these, and striker fired guns are a mystery to me. They look weird, the controls are weird too and remind me of the stamped parts on an AK. However, a compact 1911 isn't her thing so we'll experiment some.

I wonder if @Silver Belle has any input here.

Back