• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st firearm from Oregon.

Nick Burkhardt

.270 WIN
Hello all from the dry part of Oregon. I am just a regular 45 year old guy with a wife and four boys, ages 3 to 17. We live in a modest house in an older but good neighborhood of a boring small town with a WalMart and not much else. Since our area has been mostly crime free for 20 years I never saw the need to own a gun. Last month my wife said that she was concerned with the way things were going and wanted a gun for home defense.

I did some research and decided on a pump action shotgun. That meant either a Remington or a Mossberg. I took my wife shotgun and safe shopping at WalMart on the Saturday before the Super Bowl. They had the Stack-On 14 gun fire safe on clearance for $299. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-...ectronic-Lock-FS-14-MB-E-Matte-Black/16637375 I asked for 10% off and we now have a 300 pound black monolith staring at us from the wall opposite our bed.

We started shopping with a Maverick 88 for $199 which felt a bit cheap. My wife looked at a Remington 870, but she did not like the safety location plus she said it was not easy to hold and control. Savage Arms had a home defense model with an AR style stock that she liked. Then we looked a Mossberg 500 and she really liked the top mounted safety and feel of the action. I soon found out that Mossberg makes hundreds of model variants of the 12 gauge 500.

Unable to find many Mossberg 500 models in stock locally we ended up getting a Model 50482 with the two barrels for $299, 100 shells of 7 1/2 Federal birdshot for $23.96 to practice with and 25 shells of Remington 00 buck for $19.99 just in case. It is not exactly what I was looking for in a home defense shotgun so I might sell it to her Dad and get a different Mossberg. Being new, I have a lot of questions and I will try to ask in the correct forum.

hello Nick and welcome from NY. congrats on your new mossy.sounds like you made a good choice.
you found a great site with a great crew. feel free to ask all the questions you need to. you get a chance post some pics of the new shotty. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome aboard Sir!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post a pic of your new 500. Take a look around and you'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Welcome from StL. MO and please continue to talk about your search for a comfortable home defense set up!

Thank you. I just watched the excellent HD video here on the site viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5824 and have gone over the basic firearm safety rules with the family http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/firearms-safety.html

Fortunately my wife's step-brother is a firearms instructor with the State Penitentiary, so he will be training us at the range soon. Before we get there, how do I remove the wood dowel from the tube and is there an O ring that needs to come out also?

Welcome and congrats on your wife's good taste in shotguns. I am much like you in that I just bought my first shotgun, or any gun for that matter, just this year at 40. I grew up in Chicago when guns were banned and you had to have a firearms license. I have kids (9 and 12) and I taught my kids proper handling and use. I store it with a loaded magazine, empty chamber and cable lock through the breech.

The field combo is a great shotgun combination that allows you to expand the use of your shotgun. I would try it out before selling it. Buy some dummy rounds and practice loading and unloading. You could even practice slug change over drills.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Nick Burkhardt said:
Thank you. I just watched the excellent HD video here on the site viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5824 and have gone over the basic firearm safety rules with the family http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~joe/firearms-safety.html

Fortunately my wife's step-brother is a firearms instructor with the State Penitentiary, so he will be training us at the range soon. Before we get there, how do I remove the wood dowel from the tube and is there an O ring that needs to come out also?[/q

to remove the dowel. first make sure the gun is not loaded. pull the slid half way back.remove barrel.
unscrew the mag tube cap.
sometimes you can turn the gun upside down and you can grab it.
if you need to remove the retainer just pop it out with a screw driver. just watch your face the spring will pop out.

Thanks, I guess we will keep this one since her Dad just bought a "$200 chinese-made shotgun". I say pay the extra $100 for Made in America and the 10 year warranty.

Does the Model 50482 have the same forend as the less expensive Maverick 88 with the rails built-in to the plastic with no action slide tube? It seems to have a lot of wobble. I may have to get an upgrade from Mossberg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJSN9JQo4hc

Here's a great post that'll shed some light on the forend question. The Mav88 models use a pinned forend vs. the slide tube assembly and barrel nut on many of the 500/590 models...

aksavanaman said:
This pictures shows a pinned forend (looking at the rear of the forend toward the receiver)
Maverick88forearm.jpg

This one shows a forend with an action slide tube and a tube nut that is clearly visible at the front of the forend.
Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg

Then of course you have to worry about the action slide tube length :D
mossbergforendvariation.jpg

Hope this helps!

The one we purchased was a field/security combo with the 18.5" and 28" vent ribbed barrels available at major sporting good stores like Big 5 and BiMart for $299 reviewed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux6Ng_Gie6c . I guess Mossberg saved cost on the forend to offset including a second barrel. Fair enough. I wanted a strap on the forend anyway, so now I have my first project.

I have been doing a lot of reading here and am very impressed with the volume of information and the polite community. I also have to say that the Moderators must have the patients of Saints for answering the same questions over and over again, year after year. Great job everyone.

Glad to see you're enjoying the site and finding some useful information.

As far as answering the same questions over and over, I've taken a few serious knocks to the head over the years and my short term memory is on the blink. Comes in handy at times. I always laugh at the three jokes my wife knows and I have no idea how many times I've answered the same questions around here.

Glad to see you're enjoying the site and finding some useful information.

Nick Burkhardt said:
I have been doing a lot of reading here and am very impressed with the volume of information and the polite community. I also have to say that the Moderators must have the patients of Saints for answering the same questions over and over again, year after year. Great job everyone.

all kidding aside.glad you are finding MO helpful.

Attachments

• slide3.jpg
    slide3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 235
Thanks the end of the wood dowel poked out when the tube was tipped and I pulled the rest right out. I may have messed something up when reattaching the barrel. Is the closed ejection port supposed to look like this?

Attachments

• port.jpg
    port.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 221
Back