• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st firearm from Oregon.

The combo model I bought came with a clamp to hold the two barrels together for store display. I recycled it into a flashlight holder.

It is level, but my wide angle lens distorts the direction of the barrel and light at edge of the photo.

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 232
Nick Burkhardt said:
Thanks the end of the wood dowel poked out when the tube was tipped and I pulled the rest right out. I may have messed something up when reattaching the barrel. Is the closed ejection port supposed to look like this?

looks ok to me.why are you asking? does it cycle ok?

Nick Burkhardt said:
The combo model I bought came with a clamp to hold the two barrels together for store display. I recycled it into a flashlight holder.

It is level, but my wide angle lens distorts the direction of the barrel and light at edge of the photo.

don't know how good that light clamp will hold straight after a round or 2.

old mossy said:
Nick Burkhardt said:
Thanks the end of the wood dowel poked out when the tube was tipped and I pulled the rest right out. I may have messed something up when reattaching the barrel. Is the closed ejection port supposed to look like this?

looks ok to me.why are you asking? does it cycle ok?

Yes it cycles smooth. This is my first shotgun and I thought the closed port would show a single sheet of metal. It has been unloaded in the safe until be can get some range time with a qualified instructor.

Does anyone have an "exploded diagram" of the Mossberg 500 with all the parts labeled?

Nick Burkhardt said:
I am still waiting for my in-laws to take me shooting.
:?: ....you live on the east side right ?.....drive 20 minutes in any direction and you will have 37 thousand square miles of high desert to shoot, I got to ask why are you waiting for someone to take you shooting?....your married with children so I am assuming your 18 or older

oli700 said:
Nick Burkhardt said:
I am still waiting for my in-laws to take me shooting.
:?: ....you live on the east side right ?.....drive 20 minutes in any direction and you will have 37 thousand square miles of high desert to shoot, I got to ask why are you waiting for someone to take you shooting?....your married with children so I am assuming your 18 or older

Some friends offered to take us "out shooting in the dirt". I have never fired a shotgun before so I have no idea of the proper stance, grip, how to handle recoil or dos and don'ts. I don't want to end up like those idiots you see on YouTube videos with blood on their face. I would rather learn properly than develop bad habits from the start. The closest NRA shotgun course is way up in Arlington Washington. So we wait.

There are a fw tings to remember. Always.

Treat the firearm as if its always loaded
Never point the firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy
Always point downrange
The safety stays on until you're ready to fire, finger off the trigger
Clear every firearm everytime when handling or handing to someone else, never take someones word for it and check for your self

I'm sure you can clome up with more stuff, but these few things will help and are good to keep in mind. Ill also add, if the firearm jams, won't cycle a shell out of the chamber, or goes "click" on a shell but not "boom", never put your face infront of the muzzle, nor should you ever turn around where the gun may point at someone else. Defer to the rule about always pointing down range.

There are some finer points of stance that will greatly improve your ability to handle the firearm. For example, maintain 4 points of contact, which I'll explain.

1. Trigger hand on the grip, pulling the gun into;
2. the pocket formed between your chest and sholulder
3. Support hand on the forend pushing forward on the gun
4. Your cheek solidly on the stock

Your stance is also important. Wing and sport shooting, the traditional stance is to stand "bladed" with the gun sorta goin across your body. But when shootin and practicing for HD, stand with your body and shoulders sqaure to your target. Bend your knees slightly, your dominant foot slightly behind the other, and lean into the gun. This will effectively help to reduce felt recoil by transfering the energy through your body.

Thanks to the both of you. I stopped in to our local "Suburban Commando" shop on the hiway out side of town today to inquire about courses. There "Home defense" 5-6 hour course is $200 per person. I think we will wait for my brother-in-law to have free time and by him a very nice dinner after!

The "Suburban Commando" shop also had a 20" 590 with heat shield and a Knoxx Blackhawk Gen II SpecOps Stock. Just a bead site, nothing else fancy. Anyone want to hazard a guess on the price tag?

Nick, I fully understand, and respect your decision to get in depth training.

However, I also feel there should be nothing preventing you from getting lout in the woods or a local range and start shooting. Its just kinda the natural evolution man. Man, once you do fire it, you'll be hooked!

Rossignol said:
Nick, I fully understand, and respect your decision to get in depth training.

However, I also feel there should be nothing preventing you from getting lout in the woods or a local range and start shooting. Its just kinda the natural evolution man. Man, once you do fire it, you'll be hooked!

:lol: let it go brotha....walk away :lol: .....I got more of a problem with that avatar....makes the hair on my neck stand up lol......just giving you a hard time Nick. He'll shoot it, probably show up back here in two years Geko45 reincarnate

Nope $999. I can go down the street to Big 5 Sporting goods and get the 590 with heatshield for only $499 (still too high if you ask me) then attach my own stock.

Holy cow that is high for a 590; talk about price gouging. I got my 590, with ghost ring sights and a speed feed stock, from my local gun shop for $514.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

I had some consulting work to do in another town today and asked my wife to come along so she could shop at stores we don't have in our city. Of course my real motive was to have her try out a Mossberg 500 model 50577 on sale at a regional sporting goods store to see if the 20" eight shot would be comfortable for her.

She had tried a 20" 590 with heat shield before and said it was too front heavy for her, so I figured a 500 model might feel better. We get there and I ask to see the for the Mossberg 500 on sale. The store manager hands me an 18.5" Tactical Persuader 50420 that has a big SALE tag on it. This was the model my wife originally wanted, but we could not find one locally in stock for less than $510, so when we flipped the tag over and both saw the $339 sale price we exchanged "the look". Add $10 for the BGC with no tax in Oregon and we now have a new member for the family

His and Her's.

Attachments

• New_Member.jpg
    New_Member.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 95
Back