• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.22 Pistols: Pics and Discussion

Thanks for the information on the mags. I'm just kicking the idea around, no rush here. I'm actually thinking I might want to start keeping an eye out for a good deal on a .22 chambered 1911. Since I just got one might be a good alternative to have at the range during the same session.

There are also .22lr 1911 conversions.

Kimber, Colt, Advantage Arms, Ciener, GSG, Marvel Precision, are just a few that offer the kits. They can be had for anywhere from $199-$350. Just a thought...

Great starter or plinker..... For the most part it does quite well for teaching the kids how to shoot without the kick so they get used to shooting. I got 2 of them just to have a his and hers..... Lol. The wife learned on the all black one, which is hers, I'm more of the dessert color type. But I got them so we could shoot together. Oh and JG, the SIG mags are a bit pricey over the other standard ones, also bought 2 extra mags too.

When ppl first see it, they don't believe its a 22??
Looks like something of a much larger caliber should be coming out of it. Lol. :D

That's one thing I really like about the SIG.

It's size makes it a great training pistol for full-sized larger caliber handguns. My Walther P22 is much smaller and has a totally different feel to it. It can make switching back and forth a bit more difficult on muscle memory...

I have a Sig Mosquito and love it, however it is a bit picky about the type of ammo you use - I have had very good luck with CCI mini-mag.

CCI is about the only stuff that "consistently" works the best that I have used. Other brands do ok, but CCI has less issues with the mosquito.;)

Just picked up a new Sig 1911-22 from my LGS. Going to give it a try on Sunday, seems like a well made gun. I guess Sig puts their name on a GSG 1911. Has the Sig warranty and Sig wood handles. same size and weight as a regular 1911. Nice finish for a $395 out the door gun.

Joe, I hate to tell you this but the finish on that pistol won't last a year. I bought the same model about a year ago. Here's what it looks like now. It's enuf to drive a man to drink. Pisspoor finish that looks nice till you use it a little. I do like how it shoots tho, so I'll keep it.

PS: It will NOT cycle with std velocity ammo. You have to feed it hi-vel.

drivetodrink.jpg~original

Sad to know, what's deal with the Sig warranty? Is it lifetime like other models ? This one is black so maybe it will be a bit more durable. Besides I don't need another reason to drink lol!

Got rid of a few .22 handguns these past couple years. We are keeping a S&W 622 that will not be sold...

First gun gone was a Taurus PT-22. Not a bad gun for what it was and had just come back from Taurus under warranty by the previous owner. But the trigger was horrendous! The kids just could not pull the DAO monster--I'm guessing 15-20lbs. Traded it and a little cash for a Mossy TAC-22 rifle.

Another gun out the door was a New England Firearms (NEF) R92 that I picked up a couple years ago for $175 off GB. 9-shot SA/DA revolver with 4" barrel. I saw it in an auction and was able to stop in the shop selling it and inspect and handle it before I returned online to bid on it. I probably paid too much as I didn't notice the cylinder was excessively loose--note oblong locating hole in pic. Externally, it was in near perfect condition. I bought it so the kids (11 and 13) could experience a revolver.

At the range the gun was not accurate AT ALL and struggled to hit inside the target at 15' or so. We shot less than a couple hundred rounds out of it and they learned how to operate it but then it mainly stayed in the safe because it wasn't satisfying to shoot because it was so inaccurate. :( Sold it a few months back with full disclosure for $125--it will become a "tackle box" gun for the new owner.

One other gun gone was a Chiappa (kee oppa) M9-22 (Beretta knock-off). A friend offered it in trade for a Fury BB gun NIB and box of pellets that I had $75 into. Seemed like a good deal considering the gun retails for $250 or so. It was in "like-new" condition and he had never fired it but took it in trade for an unknown gun(s). Again, did the trade for the kids so they could shoot something different than the S&W 622. The first trip to the range was abysmal... :( Two or three rounds and the spent case would remain in the bore. Tried different types of ammo with same result. And all of the ejected/spent cases were bulged. The case bulged so much the extractor would not grab the rim! :eek:

If you look at the pic, you can see that the chamber is excessively ramped, and there is no "meat" to prevent bulging. Got in touch with Chiappa and they arranged for me to ship it back to them at MY expense. At first, the returns lady balked at me sending it back because I wasn't the original owner but spoke to someone "in the back" and they allowed her to accept the gun "under warranty". I did complain about it being a "safety issue" (true) which definitely softened her tone.

They had the gun a few weeks then sent it back to me "repaired". It didn't really look like they had done anything to it. BUT it was able to fire rounds with far better reliability even though the cases still bulged. I re-notified them of this and suggested maybe they send something ELSE to me once I returned it. I was interested in their M4-22 Upper they had and NO LONGER interested in the M9-22.

So they took their lemon back and notified me they needed to ship to a FFL. "Why?" I asked, "it is just an upper". Turns out they wanted to send me a COMPLETE M4-22, not just the upper, as I had requested but I was OK with it. So after fees and shipping, I had the M4-22 for just under $200. Once I had it in my hands, and spent some time at the range with it, I realized it wasn't really anything we wanted to keep. It fired and functioned OK, it was just a little quirkly and mostly plastic. Kids didn't really seem to care for it, either. Sold it $300, which was below market but an easy sale.

The S&W 22 I've had for a couple decades now. Traded a 10/22 for it. It is quite accurate and lightweight--the kids really like it and we now shoot it at the "longer" range (10M) with success versus the short 15' "self-defense" distance range we usually shoot pistol at. It deserves a complete take-down one of these days and will probably get a little trigger work at that time although the trigger isn't too bad--about 4-5lbs.

On the wish list is a Ruger SR-22 or 22/45. Or both! :) PS: I'm likin' the looks of that tan Mosquito...

Attachments

• nef3.jpg
    nef3.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 8
  • chamber.jpg
    chamber.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 622l.jpg
    622l.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back