• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

80% lower build

That's looking really good Mingaa.

A lot better than pink or green :lol:

I have an IDPA match Sat. AM - unless they cancel 2 in a row - not seen that b4!! I'll put the lower on an AR upper to field test it AND to see how that trigger feels!!

The holidays and the polar vortex have been playing the devil with my shipping. If I knew who to be pissed with, I'd let em know!

FWIW Joe Bob Outfitters helped me solve a problem yesterday. Thought I was headed for a60 day postal investigation. A holiday replacement driver left envelopes in an outdoor drop box - never used. Debi the office manager thought about it and took a look. She called me back and sent it priority the same day.

Can't make much of a gun without an upper receiver!! Now if my barrel vendor would just get that in the mail!! Name withheld to protect the - - well, we'll see!!

I guess luck for me, my butt stock went right on.
I haven't done much since I posted, but I may get back to it soon.

Montana, yours is looking great, I guess I didn't understand, did you only dye the one spot or the whole thing and then scratched it to see how it soaked in?

Well, after try #2 I'm calling it quits with the EP lower. I have had to tweak or engineer most steps during assembly. Most recently the bolt catch pin holes do not align AND there is not enough room for the very stiff (can be fixed) catch to swivel and catch the bolt - I knocked it apart 4 times making small adjustments to the point of it being at the edge of running sloppy - not a system you want scabbed together. I swapped back and forth with other uppers and the EP felt like a cigar box banjo.

The bcg drags on the buffer retention pin. Again fix-able but...

I grabbed one of the Anderson lowers on sale (ended at midnight) at PSA for $50 and am probably going to pull parts from the EP today. I'm fine with fittment tweaks on custom work but this now feels like a hack job.

If it had all gone smoothly I think a 300 BLK with a 3lb trigger and a poly lower would have been a unique instrument. The EP just continued to be the weak link!

I'll be up for another 80% in the future - probably an alloy model and I think sharing the cost of a jig might be part of that plan. Get a few partners to chip in and ship it around. John A and I have chatted about that off line. Heads up to interested parties for a future project. Later in the year?!

Mine is still sitting untouched. Watching everyone else's trails with this kind of sapped my motivation on the project. I'm not giving up hope, you never know when a product of this nature may be ones best option but unless I feel inspired I think I will just sit on it.

I'll be the first to completely agree with the EP lower being the weak link.

I only planned to use mine for coyote hunting, and maybe some limited plinking.

Stick with 7075.

Yes, mags work just as they should.

The magwell was one of the few places that was in spec

although I am on the fence about them, the poly has to be resilient , like how a pmag bounces back after abuse where a gi mag might dent in.....I just wonder if the lower could bounce back from a hit that might deform and aluminum lower

I'm not convinced that it would Oli.

John A. said:
Yes, mags work just as they should.

The magwell was one of the few places that I didn't have to work on LOL
Oh yeah - that is one area where I had no problem. The release/catch installed easily and all mag types fit well and dropped free.

This thread got me pumped up enough to give an 80% lower build a try. I picked up a forged aluminum 80% lower at a gun show on Saturday. I plan to do all the drilling at home and use the milling machine at work for the rest. I have another gun project in front of it but can't wait to get started.

I wonder how the jig would work on the polymer lowers. At the least it should help in getting the holes correct. If the polymer is thicker than the alum the top portion of the jig may not work properly but I would think it could still be doable.

The jig is less expensive than I thought. An alum 80% build is more within reach than I expected.

Back