• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

80% lower build

ripjack13 said:
aksavanaman said:
BCM blemished uppers... they were out of stock when I last looked this weekend... guess they got a delivery... pick one up if you missed the PSA deal!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Re ... 20demo.htm

Will this fit the poly lower?

I don't see why it wouldn't... Man, I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of this thing mounted to my upper....DUH, I promise I'll take one tonight, and next time I get some range time I'll try and snap a quick video of it acutally firing.

oli700 said:
didn't know that...stupid Glock anyway, no soul....you'll see lol

You're just bitter you couldn't shoot your 29 ;) :lol: J/K!!!! I think there's some soul in this :D ....

g20_od-longslide-2.jpg

that is pretty cool....yeah, I'm getting better with it and I carry it more than any other firearm I own since I have had it

it should be....but the 29 is more compact and the 10mm is more versatile.....for a lost in the woods protection do all, its hard to beat.....if I were going to war CZ 75 SP-01 without a second thought

Hmm...Oli, that sounds like the making of a QoTM...nice....

10694601145_1236f04438.jpg

So - I found this stripped lower locally for just over $100. A gunsmith friend ordered 1 and they sent 2 so he sold it through the shop where he works. Dreadnaught is a small company. He likes them and bought one for his own build - that was enough to convince me. The barrel arrives today (Mossberg 1:7, 4140 steel 16") and upper parts all in the next few days - I haven't committed to a hand guard yet - still looking at 9-10" free floats - low on $$ but I bet I can borrow the barrel multi tool and a upper vise clamp. I'll but them - eventually!

10694603795_f87f61ae6f.jpg

Not a bad logo!

10694666926_4d86fbe867.jpg

Time for a function test - I'll be at the range Th or F.

10694643946_351c9d2951.jpg

Used the drill press and a milling bit to get most of the material then came inside to finish up with a Dremel. Sanded, drilled and on hold until I finish the alloy lower unit! Like my scabbed together lower support system!? The phone photo is kind of harsh as well.

This is all from last week - how time flies! :D

Great to see that lower complete! Palmetto is still "processing" the order for my upper... as soon as some of my stuff sells that I've got listed locally I can order my cart full of stuff from Brownells :D

new fire control parts arrived today, still doesn't work properly when function testing with my hand.

Joe Bob Outfitters has blem stripped uppers for $60 and a $99 special on a BCG as a combo purchase.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/mobile/ ... spx#P12844

I went with the upper - not sure what the blem is - looks great and mates with the lower perfectly:

"JBO BLEM Forged Mil-Spec Stripped Upper Receiver with T-Markings These BLEM uppers may have slight overspray of the drylube or other small imperfections (scratches, dings, etc). JoeBobOutfitters' Forged Uppers are machined using high quality Cerro forgings & are T-Marked. No other logos are marked on the upper. Features: Made from 7075 - T6 aluminum Type III hard coat anodized Satin black finish Dry lube coating: Inside to reduce wear and adds lubricity "T - Marked" engraved M4 Feed Ramps ***Does Not Come with Forward Assist & Dust Cover..."

I have heard numerous accounts that the FCG guide pin holes are incorrectly placed so it's not just me.

I was blocked from replying in EPlowers forum before having a chance to reply to EP Lowers statement that the pin holes being out of spec were caused from:

It is not a pin placement problem it is a consumer misalignment of the machining they use.

http://www.eparmory.com/category-s/1831.htm

Since I was blocked from replying in their thread, I'll air the dirty laundry here for everyone to see that mine was out of spec, not due to consumer misalignment of my tooling.

All it takes is a few minutes to go back and look through the pics and any moron can see that is not my tools or from being misaligned. It's their crap lower.

I'm (hopefully) about done with the Dreadnought alloy lower that I bailed to when the same pin alignment issue hit me. That build is coming along well. I think I have a gas block alignment problem - an easy fix. *fingers crossed*.

I'll move ahead with the EP lower next and am looking at drop in triggers to move that along. Timney has good deals now and I like what I read about CMC 3.5 lb comp units at about $165.

One step at a time. I was at the range testing ammo and swapping AR parts to hone in on the short stroke on my new build. I'd post pics but I'm on the sofa with the phone about to call it a day.

The EP lowers may have been more 'blem' than should have been sold. We'll see! Light weight may be the theme for that one...

John A. said:
All it takes is a few minutes to go back and look through the pics and any moron can see that is not my tools or from being misaligned. It's their crap lower.

We had such high hopes these lowers... live and learn I guess. Add another company to the well-if-you-don't-give-a-s**t-we-won't-either list ;)

TTT

I was working on my lower last night, I can't seem to get the bolt catch to line up, if I get the roll pin near the hole, then the catch is canted down to the LHS of the lower, anyone else had any issues? FWIW, I picked up a PSA LPK and butt stock kit, so I don't really know who made what...

No, that is one of the parts that was right on mine.

Though my buffer tube was EXTREMELY difficult to screw in. It felt like it was cross threading but it wasn't.

VitSports6 said:
TTT

I was working on my lower last night, I can't seem to get the bolt catch to line up, if I get the roll pin near the hole, then the catch is canted down to the LHS of the lower, anyone else had any issues? FWIW, I picked up a PSA LPK and butt stock kit, so I don't really know who made what...
Yep - I'm moving mine along as a dedicated 300BLK and that is a problem that I am going to have to revisit before calling it complete. I checked and drilled a bit for good movement and fit then once the roll pin was in I lost free movement and amount as well. It will not quite catch a bolt even when pushed to the max!

I had the same problem as John - the threads for the stock were a bear and I checked numerous times to see if something was wrong. It's in and properly threaded but that could have been a whole lot of work down the drain with a failure there!

Here's a pic b4 I installed the LPK and a 3 lb Timney trigger that i picked up on another forum for a really good price. I successfully dyed the unit using a high concentration of liquid black RIT and vinegar - kept it quite hot for a couple of hours. I did a Magpul AFG today with the same batch that I saved - the color and surface is very good . I did a scratch test on the inside of the mag well - 4 strokes with the tip of a sharp CRKT edc and while it roughed it up a slight bit the scratch only showed black!

I've got incoming parts yet but this is now in high gear. A started making 300BLK brass today. I've got 150gr Hornady bullets, powder and dies set up - when it's done it is GO time!!! When-it-is-done - properly...

11759261185_cd26cfbbfc.jpg

Color match on another upper

11759255385_9bcdb63fee.jpg

Scratch test after dyeing and dry time

Back