• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

80% lower build

so reading through this.....and looking at the receivers.......the cool part about an 80% is no ser# right ? I mean that's the point of 80% lowers right because like AK said "2 hours of his time"...that's valuable as a CG and a dad so there isn't that much monetary savings over a bargain forged

oli700 said:
so reading through this.....and looking at the receivers.......the cool part about an 80% is no ser# right ?

Yes!

and a slight DIY aspect for the tinkerers amongst us.

I care less about the lack of engraving requirement. And considered a special model and serial number anyway despite no regulation or requirement for it.

John A. said:
Well done.

Glad everything worked out alright.

I'm ecstatic that all the holes lined up and you didn't have any issues.

Well, I was fully prepared to have to measure out my own holes as you did. I don't have calipers, so I just used a metric measuring tape to roughly confirm they were in the right position. In retrospect, I really should've used a drill press for the pin holes at least, but hind sight is 20/20 after all.

Honestly part of the reason for doing it this way was to show it can be done both ways... I took a chance and came out on top. Now I just need to paint this thing... in the spirit of cheap, I'll probably just rattle can it, but I may consider duracoating. Since it's not a firearm... it should only cost as much as an accessory right ;)

In MI I can walk into any store and buy a black powder without a FFL because they are not considered "firearms" yet I can't order one online and have it shipped here. I can't figure that one out.

Tired but I have some pics for tomorrow. Measured vs drawings and in house lower and determined that my X Y points were on point. Wrong.

I probably should have built a stripped AR lower before trying the 80% but tomorrow I'll try swapping my CMMG into the DPMS and the reverse as well. Good news is I'm learning. Details and photos tomorrow. The pin points looked good but the (non)function is way off - too close to release the hammer ARG!

I can fill and drill and relax a bit - I'm jagged about making it work but...

mingaa said:
too close to release the hammer ARG!

Is this in reference to the pin guide holes? Trigger/Hammer?

Yep. Did a lot of advance work. And it is a mess. The AR drawings proved out well (using straight edges and a good eye) and tracings from my DPMS - that look good, maybe a bit off on the trigger on second look but minuscule.

I may do a stripped lower ASAP ( LGS gas decent ones in stock now) and/or swap systems with my AR tomorrow to see what or how wrong I am - and that the LPK is correct as well. I'm still an AR noob when it comes down to it!

PSA rocks! With other parts in transit I may finish this build, learn a bit more about lower parts fittment and revisit the 80% lower soon - when I have tinker time. I was I'mpressed by how well you adjusted the holes - adding threads was a good tip too.

Pics when I'm not on the phone!

aksavanaman said:
MikeD said:
I really want to do something other than 223 for my next build. Although ammo availability is becoming a real issue.

I've been toying with the thought of doing a .22 upper... but .22 is even harder to find that .223 right now. Wallyworld has a whole pallet of M855 cases out... but for $500 a case I can't afford it.

I'm thinking bigger. ;)

I shot a .50 Beowulf a while back and loved it. Cost is definitely a factor here even to reload.

I like the .300AAC but and like the fact that is only requires a barrel swap and that the rounds can be made using 223 brass. I like not having to buy new mags, etc. Using existing casings and reloading could bring the cost down a bit on this. It's also a great subsonic round when I get around to picking up a suppressor.

I was also looking at 7.62x39. I already have another gun that uses this round and I like multitaskers. This one requires a few more parts and reliability is an issue from what I've seen. Another downside is availability of reloadable brass.

I want to avoid the wildcat rounds as they tend to be much more difficult to find ot get components for.

This build is not a plinker, looking for something with a little more weight for hunting deer, etc.. I know 223 will kill deer sized game but I want something a little bigger.

oli700 said:
I want to do a full auto 12 inch 10mm upper

mmmmmm....let me add another chambering to the possibilities list. :D

with the pink lower because you don't argue with a fully auto 10mm ....loaded with 220 Grain Underwood, probably be a be handful to keep that barrel down LOL dreams are cool

Put the synth lower aside for the next project - I have "finish fever" and bought a Dreadnaugt alloy lower locally for $109 from an FFL to keep moving. With a 1:7 barrel and a free float hand guard I hope to have a somewhat improved ,223/5.56 carbine.

The synth 80% can become something else. I'd like a pistol carbine or a 300 or larger caliber as well.

The alloy lower is now complete and, running like a clock and an upper is a reasonable road trip away (Midway) - the staked and tested $100 bcg is on the web - just got to watch the family budget! I think I'll be shooting it in 2 weeks having learned a lot!

Still on the phone but I do have some pics to share...

I think for your first AR build mingaa, deciding to go with a regular alum. lower was your best choice. As I said before, I would not trust this polymer lower with my life... my other AR, different story.

I did however finish putting this thing together with the partial LPK from brownells (less trigger components thats I already had laying around) and it seems to work, ok.... I had to open up the rear take down pin hole to allow the head (rim) to seat fully. The bolt catch also seems a little weak, like it's not coming up far enough to catch more of the bolt surface... it is catching, but any decent nudge on the rifle will send the bolt home (my current AR needs a good slam on the on ground to allow this to happen)

I plan on taking the 590 and my Marlin .22 out tomorrow for a range workout... this will tag along for an actual function test. Once I get my camera battery charged, I'll take a pic of the completed lower.

The shop that has started stocking parts and kits is 3 miles down the road. The PSA that John suggested was a better deal ( I'll need a second LPK soon enough) but I had the fever to keep moving. 30 minutes after arriving home I had the lower complete, running like a clock - mounted it on my DPMS! I also had a better understanding of the fit and function issues with the parts.

I like the slick side upper but JoeBob has a blem upper for $61 - even with the forward assist and dust cover parts it is still a deal! Then it's just the BCG and hand guard but with the barrel on the way I'm inclined to get the upper ASAP so I can keep the assembly moving...

I've been watching this thread and its full of win. I'm not handy with power tools so I'll never attempt something like this. It is neat to see what you guys have done with these so far.

The best is yet to come though. Patiently waiting on the first youtube link to one of you fools blowing yourselv............. umm I mean successfully putting some rounds downrange off of one of these. :lol:

When I say this thread is full of win I mean it. Even if you are not intending to do an 80 percent lower posting up links like PSA blem/complete parts kit combos for less than a bill is worthy of sharing with everyone. Thanks for spreading the word on that and some of the other stuff related for any stripped or 80% lower builds. Outta stock now so I missed that boat on the PSA deal but that would have been worth considering to snag and keep handy for a possible build down the pipe. Sad I didn't see it sooner.

Keep up the cool work guys. Your 80 percent lowers are looking good.

jgwills said:
The best is yet to come though. Patiently waiting on the first youtube link to one of you fools blowing yourselv............. umm I mean successfully putting some rounds downrange off of one of these. :lol:

I have had this discussion more than once with my wife.

Back