• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 Builders?

I'll double check but I believe the CMV is what I got.. probably not but hopefully haha. I have time yo upgrade as my skills require... :)
triple check it and if it says PTac CHF CMV then I want proof, after that I might or might not take back something I just said about you under my breath....just maybe

I've built off PSA stuff a few times and their "PSA" and "Freedom" branded uppers are usually good to go. There have been multiple reported QC issues with their "PTAC" branded stuff though, some even posted here on our forum. They are a good resource for inexpensive quality parts, but they're hit or miss on shipping and customer service though...

Mostly miss.

Their phone messaging system stays full and won't accept new calls, and forget about getting a reply in email.

If you have a problem with them, don't expect help to come easy from them because it won't.

@Pawpaw Here's a decent upper. I was thinking about picking up one for my Granddaughters build and it's a complete upper with everything needed. Just put it on your complete lower and go.

http://fatboytactical.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28552

Buddy of mine has a few hundred rounds through his PSA upper and has only ammo complaints cause he is a cheap ass... :) haha

There is no excuse that an upper won't run on any brand ammunition you put in it.

I don't care if it's cheap steel surplus import or black hills premium match ammo.

I've been fooling with AR's for long enough to know that a quality builder will not have to give excuses why their uppers don't run with everything.

And yes, my PTAC MIDLENGTH upper was undergassed badly and had a .072" gas port, which is on the large end of a carbine gas port.

W-R-O-N-G !!!!

*Disclaimer: I understand that some gun designs won't run hollow points or flat tips/wad cutters due to mag style and the way the chamber is made and stuff, but an AR should shoot any brand and style bullet you put through it. That's what I meant earlier when I said an AR should run everything without issue.

@oli700 I'm away from home for work again. Won't be back till late tonight (Sunday) but I will absolutely check.

@JohnA. I'm only passing on what he tells me. I believe he is having firing pin issues because it won't go bang with the Tula he buys from Wal-Mart. But stuff from Dunhams is perfectly fine.. I haven't been there in person, so it's word of mouth.

I have some WPA Polyformamce HP that I'm gonna try and run for Groundhog hunting.. gonna help to get a proper gas tube first haha

Here's a question... with Oli's sharing of XM193 vs AR500.. I am rethinking my $180 birthday credit.

Any suggestions? Optics? Vltor Modpod? I have a Tasco Varminter 2.5-10x scope and a Bushnell TRS25... so I got decent optics right now, that function as intended... but the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x BTR is a sweet little scope

Check out this review I put up a while back Rick...

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/itac-defense-3x-prismatic-scope-review.2556/

SIG bought out iTac a few years ago and now sell their optics, lights, etc. as SigTac. This particular optic is now branded the SigTac CP1...

http://www.amazon.com/SigTac-Compact-Prismatic-Rifle-Scope/dp/B00B6DVKO0

It's an excellent lightweight, compact optic. The 3x magnification is perfect for a 16" carbine and the reticle is graduated to 600m. I shoot mine out to 300m regularly with consistent, accurate results on target. Glass is crystal clear too. My neighbor just mounted one on the rifle I put together for hum and he loves his too...

@JohnA. I'm only passing on what he tells me. I believe he is having firing pin issues because it won't go bang with the Tula he buys from Wal-Mart. But stuff from Dunhams is perfectly fine.. I haven't been there in person, so it's word of mouth.

Steel case ammo is notorious for having hard primers. And it's not unheard of needing a heavy hammer spring if you shoot a lot of it. It's probably not the firing pin itself.

Here's a decent upper. I was thinking about picking up one for my Granddaughters build and it's a complete upper with everything needed. Just put it on your complete lower and go.

http://fatboytactical.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28552

Better hurry John. There were 3 available and I just ordered 2 of them.

Thank you everyone for your help. I have been reading bad things about PSA's customer service lately, so I wasn't sure I wanted to go down that road.

I understand.

I'm holding off on buying the upper right now because I have something else earmarked I am wanting to buy when they become available so I'm glad that you got two of them. They sound really nice.

And I am a big fan of nitride barrels. They clean so easily. Since they have became more available in the last few years, I am preferring nitride over chrome lined for several reasons.

I think you'll be satisfied with them. Keep us posted of the big grin when your granddaughter shoots them ;)

Here's a question... with Oli's sharing of XM193 vs AR500.. I am rethinking my $180 birthday credit.

Hate to see what m855 would do

Army wanted a round that would penetrate both sides of a steel pot helmet, like Vietnam era, at 600 meters using a 20" m16..... They didn't stop till they achieved it and the result was the M855 62gr steel tip penetrator round.....think about that .....through and through a steel pot helmet at 665 yards !!!! very very impressive, as impressive it to have a combat weapon that in the right hands is capable of making that hit, repeatable.....the M16 is an amazing weapon

Just read a few articles that reference an SBR stamp turnaround is in the 60 day area with the Efile?? That's tempting.. VERY tempting..

I like that scope but I really like variable magnification too. The 1x-4x for some reason always appealed to me too

Just read a few articles that reference an SBR stamp turnaround is in the 60 day area with the Efile?? That's tempting.. VERY tempting..

I like that scope but I really like variable magnification too. The 1x-4x for some reason always appealed to me too
Got to have a trust for efile

If one is allowed and remains allowed to own then yes........but no one ever said it was hard , we just wanted you to know that stipulation since you didn't mention it.....

The thing with trusts is they have to be air tight in the set up and execution from a legal standpoint. You need to hire a GREAT, not good, attorney who is expertly familiar with firearms laws and NFA trusts. Your local ambulance chaser will not cut it. You could easily spend a grand in legal fees just getting it set up. Otherwise, if the trust is found to be improperly executed down the road, possession of every firearm included in the trust will have to be forfeited until new NFA paperwork is submitted, approved, and tax stamps are received for every firearm individually. That's an additional $200 plus the 8-12 month wait for each firearm. Plus, all it will take is for an executive order or high court ruling to declare NFA trusts invalid to create the same scenario. It hasn't happened yet, but it's not far off...

The thing with trusts is they have to be air tight in the set up and execution from a legal standpoint. You need to hire a GREAT, not good, attorney who is expertly familiar with firearms laws and NFA trusts. Your local ambulance chaser will not cut it. You could easily spend a grand in legal fees just getting it set up. Otherwise, if the trust is found to be improperly executed down the road, possession of every firearm included in the trust will have to be forfeited until new NFA paperwork is submitted, approved, and tax stamps are received for every firearm individually. That's an additional $200 plus the 8-12 month wait for each firearm. Plus, all it will take is for an executive order or high court ruling to declare NFA trusts invalid to create the same scenario. It hasn't happened yet, but it's not far off...
I'm also aware of the lawyer issue. There is a local CPA (I think that's the right title) that does stuff on the side, I believe for $85 to NRA members and range membership holders. I haven't expertly dug too dip into it yet though. It's still an option I'm considering

I was unaware of the Exec. Order... it can't be that simple to create such a mess, is it? Lol geesh... [emoji33]

I was unaware of the Exec. Order... it can't be that simple to create such a mess, is it? Lol geesh... [emoji33]

Shouldn't be, but it is.

Trusts were on the administration's hit list a while back, but we're ultimately left alone for now. Made a lot of people nervous for a while. Have a feeling it was only hot air and threats to pacify the left post Sandy Hook, but the possibility is still there. Do you think legality matters? The vast majority of exec. orders that have been signed in so far have been illegal, so I wouldn't put it past him...

Back