• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AR-15 Builders?

I'm just trying to figure out how this has been missed by so many people... it seems like everyone is running steel plates just cause of the price. Even more so, most of us are your self proclaimed patriots, waiting for King Obama to knock on the door... but they're using AR15 rifles too with the same ammo that defeats it as well. How'd we all miss it? (Glad I paid $60 instead of $200 for damn sure now)

14lbs of steel plate replaced with ammo or food.. that's a lot. Haha I'm getting slightly depressed now...

That answer is easy.

Out of all these folks dropping coin for plates how many do you think ever hang their chest rig on a target stand and test it out?

How many do you think just drop the plates into a carrier and hang it up in a corner collecting dust?

I'll guarantee there are exponentially more gear "reviews" floating around the internet from that second group of people.

We use nothing but AR500 plates at the range and have to replace them several times a year and that's from damage caused by your average 55gr M193 rounds. We don't allow SS109/M855 on the range at all, but every once in a while somebody forgets and turns a plate into swiss cheese. The steel core punches through like butter. It's not just from SS109 either. Much of the foreign made rifle ammo available on shelves, regardless of caliber, use steel and will f#@k up an AR500 plate. We carry magnets on the range to test ammo. If it sticks, you can't send it down range.

You need to be weighing your gear by ounces, not pounds. I'm a stocky guy and consider myself in decent shape, but after carrying 35 pounds of gear plus water through the backwoods for two days I felt like a little girl. It was a humbling experience. When the world goes sideways there will be plenty of chest plates laying around on the ground, left there by all those folks that reviewed them online...

This sucks... haha

Well best case scenario.. I train with the AR500 plates, save up some dough for good ceramics and when the time comes I'm ready for the weight and can either benefit from the weight loss of ceramics by just swapping out plates or I can load up with ammo, food and other goodies...

Don't let us discourage you.

A steel plate is still going to do more to stop a bullet than a t-shirt, but the point is that they won't make you bulletproof. Best way to avoid getting shot is to remove yourself from the situation as quickly as possible which becomes a lot more difficult with all the added weight. It's your gear and you're the only one that can know your abilities and limitations...

Well I'm going to wear it, no doubt, should anything happen before I could get ceramics. But I'll be doing a lot of endurance stuff with it loaded up to be as ready as possible for the weight

Well I'm going to wear it, no doubt, should anything happen before I could get ceramics. But I'll be doing a lot of endurance stuff with it loaded up to be as ready as possible for the weight
Haha I've just started my kit, sir. Banshee Plate Carrier will be a gift from my Mother in Law and the plates are it

Absolutely.

All our plates are mounted at a forward can't to deflect splatter downward and minimize the damage vs. taking the full force impact that they would at 90°...
All my swingers really last.....depending mil x39 and 855 thrash them. Hunting rifles that are fast, win mag burns a hole through everything up to 500 with our loaded projo's.....a 243 95 gr Barnes will burn through 1/2" T1 at 100 yards....lots of hillbilly balistics under my belt lol

We also have a muzzle velocity restriction of less than 3200 fps to engage the 100yd plates. Anything over that just beats the hell out of them. Dimpled steel is dangerous. The uneven contours and angles caused by the dimpling can deflect splatter and ricochet back toward the shooter and others on the firing line...

Hey @oli700 does that guy mention range in his video about the XM193? I've watch a few videos where they have to be closer than 15 yards for it to penetrate the least...

not sure, he is fairly close I bet
Video won't load which is why I asked. I hunted it down on my phone and it has to be a 20" barrel and he specifies within 25yds in another video. 16" barrel can't spit it out fast enough unless it's under 15yds. So there is some truth to the claims but also some truth to that AR500 will defeat it. Range and speed are (obviously) major factors. I'm going to do some more digging and see if I can pinpoint a speed at which it would be defeated.. EDIT: Also to see if his range estimation is across the board for every other penetration test

AR500 will defeat anything given enough distance, willing to gamble on fighting distance ? Aren't you a city boy?.....no more than 50 yards...lots of cover. Don't worry its like a gas mask, by the time you realize you need it, your as good as dead by the time you get your shit together

AR500 will defeat anything given enough distance, willing to gamble on fighting distance ? Aren't you a city boy?.....no more than 50 yards...lots of cover. Don't worry its like a gas mask, by the time you realize you need it, your as good as dead by the time you get your shit together
I'm having the "gas mask" conversation with friends right now... if they are that close I'm screwed anyhow.

But I'm actually in a rural country location. I'll see them coming first if it's any time other than night.. which is unlikely... haha cover is another subject I've thought about.

one of his vids is at 25 yards. No penetration. I was gonna chime in about it but got side tracked. I actually have some AR500 steel here. Got it from work, we reline loader buckets with it. I can try and verify some info with it if you want. Seems like Oli and LES already got it figured out though. I can attest that .22-250 will crater AR500 even at 200 yards. And that was on a production target, not leftover pieces.

I'm having the "gas mask" conversation with friends right now... if they are that close I'm screwed anyhow.

But I'm actually in a rural country location. I'll see them coming first if it's any time other than night.. which is unlikely... haha cover is another subject I've thought about.

a lot of these thing work great for the military because they have a system of threat detection and communications world wide , seconds fast......me and you not so much.
You would do well to start thinking like a Guerrilla, Blitzkrieg and the like....When I consider scenarios I don't think "What would Chris Kyle do".....I think "What would Red Cloud do"......they would have won you know if they didn't take the word of politicians and they all became united .....fierce fighters, sharp tacticians.....outnumbered and fighting with primitive weapons and way to trusting

I think "What would Red Cloud do"......they would have won you know if they didn't take the word of politicians and they all became united .....fierce fighters, sharp tacticians.....outnumbered and fighting with primitive weapons and way to trusting

You are talking up my Alley Oli.

But there are many who were not that trusting. Many of my ancestors evaded capture and the trail of tears and all that genocidal treatment. It is one of the reasons why there are so many "undocumented" Cherokee and other tribes out there that cannot "join" the Cherokee Nation because they refused to be placed on any of the indian rolls like the Dawes Roll and the Baker Rolls and other rolls that the Eastern Band of Cherokee (Nation) requires for you to be a Cherokee citizen.

And I also have family like DoubleHead and Dragging Canoe (Cherokee War Chiefs- google them sometime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublehead and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragging_Canoe ) who would just as soon as walk up to you and slit your throat as to find water on a hot day.

Back