• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Concealed Carry Discussion: Tips and Tricks

The trick is finding a holster/belt combo that holds the weapon tight into the body and eliminates any outward cant. A holster with a good forward carry angle will keep the butt of the grip riding high at center rather than sticking out toward the rear. I'm 5' 8", about 175 and can conceal my big 'ol Glock 21 and my full-sized 1911s with no problems...

You have no idea.

She's a project manager by day and races her pride and joy Polaris RZR 800 on the weekends in a semi-pro circuit. She's the only female in her race circuit and is currently placed 4th outta 19 drivers. She scares the hell outta those guys... :lol:

LoL.....My baby sister is 5'11.

I've been looking at a few different sites tonight and a few different kinds of holsters. It would make life a lot easier if the guys tasked with writing the Bill for Illinois CCW would just go for the jugular and put in open carry. One of the convos I had with Rep. Phelps actually centered on open carry......The Cook county crowd always shot down CCW on the "Then the ops won't know who's armed" bit. I suggested to him that they go for open carry, He thought that would scare the city boys even more.

It does make things a LOT easier.

We've got CC and OC here and it's nice not to have to worry about accidentally printing...

I've been using my DP-51 w/ a Milt Sparks IWB holster for 20 years. I lived in Idaho with that summer heat and the holster and sidearm endured without issue. The Milt Sparks is so comfortable that I can carry a full size sidearm, in the winter or summer with shorts/t-shirt and no one notices. I even worked on a buddy's deck/gazebo all day and he didn't knwo I was wearing my sidearm and I was up/down ladders, extended, bent down... You will always be more conscious of your situation than anyone around you. WIth a bit of training, even your children won't give you away with hugs. Mine know not to grab tight around my waist, but instead just reach up higher.

Re: 1911: Pics and Discussion

Prices are very acceptable! They look like good quality holsters too, especially if you are recommending them! Hypothetically, the Colt Gov't would fit the RIA... or would a PT1911 be a better deal? lol Man the only thing worse then picking a pistol is picking the holster to put it in! :p

For the full-sized RIA, go with the Colt Gov.

The thing I love about these holsters is that with a true gun belt, the holster holds the pistol upright with zero outward cant. The release lever is great too. It operates with your middle finger, leaving your trigger finger in the index position and ready to fire...

I was wondering how it held in the firearm. I didn't see the release lever at first, but I got my sights on her now! I will add this to my potential holster purchases. I wonder what a good IWB would be unless this is one in fact :S

Nah, this one's OWB.

Can't really help much with IWBs for a 1911. I always carry in 'condition 1' and prefer the secure hold of these OWB CarryLoks...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I always carry in 'condition 1'...

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge... I do not know the definition of "condition 1" :shock:

Thank you! Very good and informative! I am assuming that this means, LES only carries his 1911 Open Carry? I still may be misunderstanding his reason for sharing that :p I planned on carrying in the same manner, what good is an unloaded gun? :D

The Bianchi CarryLock is a great setup. My boss at work has one and the only problem I've seen with his is that it is fitted for a Glock. :) The release gets pushed naturally when you draw so you don't have to really "think" about it.

I've spent a lot of time and bandwidth here lately looking at various IWB's for the 1911, and you have as many options as you do when buying a new car......

Check out these for different types of "hybrid" IWB's.....
http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
http://n82tactical.com/
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

There are other companies that make similar holsters to these.....More and more guys are going to the leather/kydex hybrid holsters, so they apparently work pretty well.

I'm more of a traditional leather guy so those are what I have been focusing on for the most part. Most holsters can be had in every exotic hide you can imagine or just in regular leather. Prices range from good to the skies the limit. You can find a lot just by searching around......I had pretty much made my mind up on one holster and stumbled across a small "hobby crafter" in Tennessee who is building me a beautiful rig in a combination black shark/black stingray for half the cost of a shark only rig from the other company.

This company makes a great IWB that a lot of companies have copied or modified the design. Pricing is good for the quality, but DO NOT buy one of these from eBay.....as their site says, there are people on eBay reselling these holsters for WAY above cost to people who don't want to wait.
http://www.miltsparks.com/

Here is a link for the guy who will be making my rig.......can't wait to get the details finalized and DEFINITELY can't wait to have it on my hip in a few months.
http://www.BiancheriUSA.com/Holsters.html

Tim4k5, Thank you for all the links! Believe it or not, I just opened my newest SHOOTERS magazine and there was an Ad for N82Tactical in there! :D

I am kind of bias to Leather as well with a 1911, just seems right. But I also like the kydex holsters! I need to find one that everyone likes that is IWB, either Small of back or right side.

Not a problem Ric......Like I said, I've been doing a ton of looking here lately and those are all pretty highly regarded companies with a lot of online kudos. There are honestly hundreds of holster makers out there, shop around till you find one you like.

Just to make things more fun for you......Here is an excellent spreadsheet of some different holster makers that was put together by IllinoisCarry member Dilbert. It isn't every maker on the planet but it has 250+ different companies with links to their websites. Hope it helps. :)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuKWjhiCEfMqdEJ1Y1dMT1VDYnBLRXd1Rk9oNjhQQmc

Back