• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Firearm Photo Gallery

Re: New toy

This was kind of an impulse buy because of the deal. I've wanted to mess with an 870 a while now and see if I like it. There are things that I love about it and there are things that I flat out hate as well.

For example,

•Things I like

It feels very solid in your hands. Stout materials although that comes with weight. In fact, this gun weighs more than my 28" mossberg.

The fit and finish is fantastic

Super smooth action

•Now, things I dislike

The narrow and box shaped trigger edges. I find it very uncomfortable. Sure I could file this round and smooth but there's such a small amount of material to start with that I think it might be a bad idea.

Loading the gun. The lifter has to be pushed in to load the rounds which can be a hassle when in a stressed situation. This is a "defense" style model. My finger gets pinch most rounds and I can't imagine doing this wearing gloves. Just something that I would have to train with to adjust.

The single extractor.

The mag tube design. A waste of space that could hold an extra round.

Plastic follower.

You make some good points, some I knew of and others I hadnt.

The single extractor, though to counter that I have heard an RO or maybe he was an armorer with a dept. somewhere say he had never seen one needing a repair because of it.

I dont like the lifter either, I've had my thumb pinched too. I may be doin it wrong?

I'm unsure what you mean by the mag tube design? The only thing I dont like about it is the nub on the inside near the threads preventing modification without first grinding it off.

I like the model you have. I sometimes see the Police Magnums with the steel receivers (they may all be steel) parkerized finish and wood furniture. I saw one early this year that still had cosmoline on it, or whatever was bein used for packing grease... Your model reminds of those but with synthetic furniture!

Rossignol, the extractor actually works fine from what ive researched. I haven't heard of a lot of people having issues with it anyway.

The lifter is just something that I think you have to adjust to. I find that the ont way I can get by without getting pinched is to use more of the pad of the thumb versus the tip like I would on the mossberg. The mossberg is just a breeze when compared to the 870's loading.

For the mag tub, if I understand correctly, the standard 5 shot only has the crimp in the tube. I thought this was the crimp towards the end on the actual extension. I think that blocks a round. Of course I can use a +3 mag extension but I'm still only at 7+1 if I do so and it sticks out past the barrel.

Yes, all 870's have steel receivers. That sounds like an interesting look too. I do like the gun though I do have things that I don't like just as with anything else. I think that they can improve on some details. They've just been using add ons and different finishes on the same gun since like 49 was it? Overall, still good.

Chris, overall, I like it! Yeah, its different and I'm not altogether comfortable with them, but like you said its something one can get used to.

The police magnums, the older ones I have seen, the parkerizing actually has a slight grey/green appearance. Real good lookin guns and the 870 Tac models look much like those...

The Remington 870 Police Magnum!

Remington_870_Police_Magnum_2_by_ChillBebop.jpg

Wow! Looks like that took a little time Chris! Good work!!! Its nice and roundy!

Re: ripjack13's collection

Just a little updated scope camo job.....

2xjNFl.jpg

QxYnjl.jpg

nFJMJl.jpg

Re: ripjack13's collection

Thanx girlie! There's lots of good threads on this forum...so I understand how some things get missed. But now you know about is all that matters..

When do we get to see you & your hubby's collection?

Here it is all ready to go. 100 ATR 30-06, Boyds custom thumbhole stock, topped with a Vortex Viper HS Scope 2.5x10x44 30mm tube.

Attachments

• 409567_2904319217284_1539623170_32860020_1759140287_n.jpg
    409567_2904319217284_1539623170_32860020_1759140287_n.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 354
Re: Finally got it finished

BEAUTIFUL stock, nice work!

I've been looking at Boyd's for an upcoming project. Great stuff...

Back