• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

^^ Nice indeed! ^^
It looks like you've got it sealed good. It's good that the crack at the pith didn't travel too far.

Lignum vitae is very dense wood indeed. I have heard that pecan is difficult to work with also.

It it appears to me it would be difficult to display and appreciate the beauty of highly figured wood as small as a grip would be. Still I vote for the zebra wood and purple heart above.

If you have a luthier supply locally maybe you can score some nice scraps cheap for possible grips. Just a thought on another source for wood other than WoodCraft.

Pen blank? Do you make pens?
I've thought about making some but never have.

OldMan said:
It it appears to me it would be difficult to display and appreciate the beauty of highly figured wood as small as a grip would be. Still I vote for the zebra wood and purple heart above.

well sir...these are some samples i have found of highly figured wood grips. this is what i aim to do.

ctFz4l.jpg

Y39Xyl.jpg

^^^^my favorite pic if wood grips....
FrZOzl.jpg

nm10Ql.jpg

k1FLHl.jpg

xX2Vhl.jpg

3TYtLl.jpg

i'm not looking to make mass quantity either. it would be only the members here and, maybe, some others for the time being. I have already amassed a good quantity of cut offs already. i always thought i would make pens out of them, but now that i see that i can put them to better use, and have less scrap from doing so, i'd rather do grips (scales).
they are small, need no large machinery, they are single units, so no two will ever have to be exactly the same. i can cut everything with a handsaw. use my hand tools, block plane & dremel. the only large machine would be a drill press. and that would serve double duty as my wife likes to make windchimes out of silverware and coffee pots, and old silverplated stuff. so she'd love to drill the sivlerware with the press!

here's her stuff....

evPvhl.jpg

vrgBwl.jpg

i do all the drilling at the moment, and sometimes the bending...but she wants a drillpress. so it's a win, win, for both of us....

Thats some awesome lookin stuff but these have to be my favorites! I could rock these on the right gun, and can you imagine something like that as a gift! Get to work man, I may need some!

3TYtLl.jpg

Dude, I will seriously buy a set like the last pic there! I would love to put those on my 1911 as a gift for Allison!

(assuming she lives that long, cuz I may shoot her with her own gun... the kid is on my last nerve)

Wow! Very nice grips and book matched at that!

I just didn't think it was possible on such small pieces of wood but I stand corrected! These are beautiful! I really like the grips in photos 2, 3 and 5!

Nice wind chimes! Your wife is very talented!
7.gif

I'll be posting up some pix of the progress when I get home tonight. I tried to do it from my phone but didn't work...booo..

ok..here's the pine test grip for Lazy Eyed Sniper's Vertec...
so far so good....lets hope it's just as easy with the ebony.....

G7YQjl.jpg

LZbyRl.jpg

Xikrnl.jpg

ML5cjl.jpg

wgtwMl.jpg

yXwXil.jpg

my beretta's a little different, so that's why it looks like it doesn't fit. (pix #5)

for the round relief in the corner of the grip on the backside, i'll make it square, for my ease. it should still fit. (pix#2 & 3)

it's actually kinda simple to do. as long as my chisels are sharp, my file is clean, and i have some sharp xacto blades. i will need to invest in one more half round file, the one i have atm is just a tad to large.

thoughts?

i found 2 more that i forgot to add in...

uZrtYl.jpg

ymOQPl.jpg

are you sending some grips to me too?

Oh man thats looking awesome! To take a chunk of wood and make it look like something!

Amazing work RipJack!

Thanx. It takes patience and more patience to get it just right. Man I can't wait to work on em again!

Ok, I went and looked around my local Woodshop, and found a nice piece of Burmese Blackwood (instead of the ebony i was planning on using). I cut it open, and voila! it looks great!

BVHacl.jpg

IBDZTl.jpg

2ulqol.jpg

tZNoXl.jpg

0PjYKl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be cutting the other side and then shape them. Also I'll be testing some stain on the scrap cut offs I get from cutting it all up....

Back