• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

Re: Recommendations for a .45 pistol?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ ...but are notoriously unreliable...

As are 10-round single stack aftermarket 1911 magazines.

A single stack "carry 1911" should only use magazines which hold seven rounds, have a flat and dimpled steel follower, hardball feedlips, and a 90-degree slide stop step.

OP (Original Poster) : please don't consider a single stack 1911 with 10-rd mags.

I really need to develop a thread about correct 7-rd 1911 mags vs. all others.............

+1 on what SNIPER & nitesite have said...

John Moses Browning created the 1911...perfected it in 1927 with the A1 modifications...and left the magazine alone !! ( 7+1 is all ya need !! )

This year is it's 100th anniversary...and it's more popular than ever...but at 2.5lbs empty, it can be a chore to carry all day.

I hate to say it, Glock! for hi-cap.

I personally perfer my SIG P220

But is not hi-cap... :?

Lateck,

lateck said:
I hate to say it, Glock! for hi-cap.

I personally perfer my SIG P220

But is not hi-cap... :?

Lateck,

Nice Doily... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. The p-220 looks like a good pistol choice. I will do some research on it. The glock's have a great reputation for simplicity and reliablility. Do any of you know anything about the Tanfoglio? I think I saw them at http://www.centerfiresystems.com. As for my experience, I currently own a 1911 w/7 round mag. I shoot close to 1,000 rounds on a yearly basis (multiple firearms and calibers) As for the high capacity .45, I want to conceal carry while hunting. As mentioned before, I hunt along the border to Mexico. It is not uncommon to come across trails used for illegal trafficking. It is best to be prepared wherever you are. Currently, for hunting, I carry my hunting weapon (rifle or shotgun) and a Draco pistol or a modified PPS-43c pistol. The pistols are rather large an I carry them in my backpack. The high capacity .45 would be a waist carry. I do have several 9mm. In a brushy area, I believe the energy of the .45 would do a better job. Thanks for your posts and keep them coming. :)

J.L. said:
Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming. The p-220 looks like a good pistol choice. I will do some research on it. The glock's have a great reputation for simplicity and reliablility. Do any of you know anything about the Tanfoglio? I think I saw them at http://www.centerfiresystems.com. As for my experience, I currently own a 1911 w/7 round mag. I shoot close to 1,000 rounds on a yearly basis (multiple firearms and calibers) As for the high capacity .45, I want to conceal carry while hunting. As mentioned before, I hunt along the border to Mexico. It is not uncommon to come across trails used for illegal trafficking. It is best to be prepared wherever you are. Currently, for hunting, I carry my hunting weapon (rifle or shotgun) and a Draco pistol or a modified PPS-43c pistol. The pistols are rather large an I carry them in my backpack. The high capacity .45 would be a waist carry. I do have several 9mm. In a brushy area, I believe the energy of the .45 would do a better job. Thanks for your posts and keep them coming. :)

Well, I hope you hunt with a semi-auto rifle first of all! I asked about your experience, because a gun like a P220 is more complicated than a glock, but if you run with a 1911 now, you can handle it. For instance, with a the p220, your slide release is where your thumb safety is on your 1911, and close to where your slide release is on your 1911, you have a "decocker" . You hit that decocker, you drop the hammer, requiring either a full DA pull (again at 10 lbs.), or manually pulling the hammer back for an SA pull. One of the reasons I mentioned you need to shoot it a lot to master that gun. Personally, in your situation, I would stick to polymer. As a carry you hope you never have to use while hunting? I want as little added weight as possible.

nitesite said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ ...but are notoriously unreliable...

As are 10-round single stack aftermarket 1911 magazines.

A single stack "carry 1911" should only use magazines which hold seven rounds, have a flat and dimpled steel follower, hardball feedlips, and a 90-degree slide stop step.

OP (Original Poster) : please don't consider a single stack 1911 with 10-rd mags.

I really need to develop a thread about correct 7-rd 1911 mags vs. all others.............

sorry about the thread highjack but........
I think the fine folks at Wilson Combat might disagree with this.

SHOOTER13 said:
+1 on what SNIPER & nitesite have said...

John Moses Browning created the 1911...perfected it in 1927 with the A1 modifications...and left the magazine alone !! ( 7+1 is all ya need !! )

This year is it's 100th anniversary...and it's more popular than ever...but at 2.5lbs empty, it can be a chore to carry all day.
magazines are the heart of any semi auto.
There was a guy at the range last weekend with a new double stack 1911 and it looked nice, he didn't have any problems out it (altho, he only shot a few magazines worth of ammo).
That said, my 1911 is a single stack with a handful of 7 shot mags.

I carry an XD sub compact in .40, XD has a compact in .45 that you might look at. It comes with a 10 shot mag and a 13 shot mag in .45.

Lots of great opinions, suggestions, and info.

Personally, I like my 1911's, with 8-rd Wilson Combat mags. Sure, you give up a little in capacity, but that's what practice is for, right? ;)

And if all else fails, I think the 1911 will leave a bigger bump on the BG's head than any of the 'plastic fantastic' pieces would :lol:

All comes down to what you are most comfortable with, can shoot the best, and can afford. Any of the suggestions so far would work, and most likely work well.

Tanfoglio was mentioned earlier...I do have a few pieces by Tanfoglio (also sold as EAA Witness, and a few other brand names). I've never had any problems with any of them, but not sure how easy it would be to get parts - in the event of a major failure of some kind.

Glocks, Springfield XD, Smith&Wesson, HK, FNH, etc. all make some fine 'plastic' hi-cap pieces, and most have proven reliability. For non-poly frames, I like single stack 1911's. Sig has also found it's way into the collection, too ;)

Good luck on your search and selection, let us know which way you go and take some pix. ;)

I've given credit to GLOCK for their excellent 21, and rightfully so. In addition to being reliable and darned accurate they are almost weatherproof, and go for long periods without cleaning.

Springfield XD 45 is another fine option and very affordable. They come in three barrel lengths and some have improved triggers over the originals. Hi-Capacity is the only way they come. They have more steel parts in them than a GLOCK (front sight, recoil spring rod, etc) but are overall lightweight because of their polymer frame. Springfield has a no-bullschidt Lifetime Warranty that really means something, as in perhaps the best in the business. The XD can take an honest to goodness beating in the field or on the hunting trails and always come up shooting. Weather conditions have almost no effect on them. My one "complaint" if there really is one is that they have a high bore axis over your hand (much like a SIG) which caused me to experience a little bit more muzzle rise after every shot. But mine was a darned good pistol.

You should shoot the two of them as range rentals side-by-side and try them out! A lot of LGSs with indoor ranges will let you shoot their used guns if you buy factory ammo over their counter.

over on XD talk, there are some people complaining of cracks forming in steel parts, but Springfield takes care of repairs.

I like my Springer XD, but only after installing an aftermarket trigger. The factory trigger pull, break, and reset left MUCH to be desired. It's good to go now, but I was ready to get rid of it before the modification. I haven't fired an XDm, but I understand that some of the trigger issues were addressed in the newer models.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I like my Springer XD, but only after installing an aftermarket trigger. The factory trigger pull, break, and reset left MUCH to be desired. It's good to go now, but I was ready to get rid of it before the modification. I haven't fired an XDm, but I understand that some of the trigger issues were addressed in the newer models.

I'm not an XD fan, but I like to think I'm fair minded. And to that end I will say that Glock, XD, and S&W M&P all need help in the trigger area. I didn't add one of the commercially available parts to my M&P, but I had a local smithy who does a lot of M&P trigger jobs for the local IDPA community, work on mine. He even had to stretch beyond his comfort zone, as I wanted my trigger pull to remain at least 5lbs because it's an SD gun, not a comp gun. He pulled it off beautifully! The takeup is glass smooth, and the break is clean.

So the bottom line in my mind is that out of the box, the triggers are all equally bad in different ways. "Drop in" parts are available for all, or if you prefer a classic trigger job you can go that way.

For the price and all the features you get (which are more than alot of the higher end pistols) I feel you can not go wrong with the Taurus PT1911. It is a great pistol. I have one and carry it at times and I would 100% trust my life to it. It has been very reliable. Having said that if you are not looking for a 1911 styke pistol then I recommend the Springfield XD 45.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Back