• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Holsters, We have them! ***Photo Thread***

why the hell didn't we think of that ?.......that is the obvious answer

Lol, it's a long story but the short version is I was really burnt out on it for awhile and am still not too crazy about it.

Don't you have to form the leather over a dummy gun and boil it or something?

I've been thinking about a home made rig too, or rather rigs, as I'd like them attached in various coats.

I soak the leather in water and press it and tool it to the piece I'm working on then let it dry.

Check out the link LES posted above, it's some nice work!

I soak the leather in water and press it and tool it to the piece I'm working on then let it dry.

Check out the link LES posted above, it's some nice work!

Thanks. I was thinking just to wrap the gun in saran wrap about 10 times and use it for the buck, rather than make one.

My buddy Dave had convinced me that the big danger of a shoulder rig is keeping the gun concealed.

If you have a CCW here, and somebody sees the weapon, you can be in trouble, as then it's considered open carry. Not legal here at all.

You can use Saran Wrap for sure. I've done some magazines and a stock that way for a project. But I soaked the leather first and kept a bowl of water and rag handy while I worked it.

There are ways of doing shoulder rigs, like using an additional strap around the girth of your chest to help keep the rig stable and close. Other than that, I guess you have to keep your coat zipped from naval to neck, lol!

I honestly didn't know anyone could still get a CCW there. Ohio is actually an open carry state but some places, the sheriff has said they'll still charge for inducing panic or whatever it's called. It may have just been the one county. So in that case concealed has the advantage.

Our county hasn't gone gay yet, though we do have a lady sheriff.

She's issued 10x what her predecessor signed in 1/2 the time.

Sheriff Margaret Mimms, bless her heart. knows what's what.

Got my Alien Gear combo

AlienGearHolsters_001_zps9fh1md4a.jpg

AlienGearHolsters_002_zpsrxvrnhor.jpg

First impressions are good. They have good retention right out of the box so I have not fiddled with them. I've not used a IWB except for a cheap Uncle Mikes many years ago so I was anxious to try that one out. I wore it when me and the GF went to breakfast this morning and it rode great. The neoprene backing was comfy.

Question for the guys (gals?) using or have used, a leather IWB or OWB holster;

Does the holster have a retention screw post with rubber grommet and is it needed?

Many do not use one and I can only think of a few that do. I think with an IWB it most likely isn't necessary.

^^My IWB rig has it, and since the kydex doesn't collapse under belt pressure ( that's the point of going kydex), IMHO it's needed.

^^My IWB rig has it, and since the kydex doesn't collapse under belt pressure ( that's the point of going kydex), IMHO it's needed.

Are you saying its needed on the kydex? I'm most interested in all leather construction.

I think it's needed depending on the design, can't comment on all leather rigs as I only own one and it's a belt slide, so you adjust retention using belt pressure.

Also, I just got a Blade Tech Klipt to try out AIWB with my G26 on the cheap, really like it so far, especially for the price.

X41197V.jpg

DqsCe7H.jpg

image.jpg

It's done. It's thick too. I use a heavier leather than holster makers would commonly use, by about a 1/16".

What you're seeing at the top is two layers to reinforce the opening so it doesn't collapse when the gun is drawn or otherwise not holstered. The body shield covers the end of the slide and the safety but then is cut away like what you can see on the front side here.

I can't remove this without undoing my belt. I had initially wanted to use pull the dot snaps but had to change my design when I realized the way I set it up at first wouldn't let the holster drop far enough down into my waist band. So I ditched the snaps and instead turned my belt loop upside down and it's fastened using a torx screw with a finish washer to a clutch head washer on the back which is set in the leather in the reinforcing layer or between the two layers of reinforcing and the main holster layer.

I can easily get my hand on the grip but on the draw it lifts up just a little and slides forward just barely. It doesn't come out at all and I can fairly easily re holster. And its comfortable.

I've found this holster to be entirely too thick. It gives the impression of carrying a roll of D cell batteries on my hip. Too bad, it's otherwise a nice holster, but I'm going to make another.

I'm going to use the same saddle skirting for the outside face of the body, then use a thinner harness leather for the inside that will also wrap the top to add a little reinforcement around the opening. Also, behind the trigger guard, I'll scallop that out a little more so it doesn't interfere with getting a hold of the grip.

Back