• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Is this worth restoring?

If all the rust comes off and the blue looks good just keep it oiled. If you need to take it down to bare metal to remove all the rust reblue it. You can do a decent job yourself. I have used many different types of cold blue over the years, but I have my best results using Brownells 44/40 cold blue. The price of haz mat shipping will cost you as much as the price of the blue, but to me its worth it.
For a gun stock I would try gunshows and look for a parts dealer. You may just get lucky. Either that or take it to a wood worker and see if they can repair it and what it would cost. A repair on the toe of the stock wont look bad if finished corectly, plus it sounds like you are looking for a shooter, not a show piece.

JB

one of those links also has any small parts you might need.
good luck. keep us posted.

old mossy said:
911JB said:
express, As a little insperation I thought I would show you a link to a couple sad marlin 60's that I brought back to life a while back.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=373728

JB

you have some nice "barn" guns there JB. :)

Thanks old mossy. I enjoy restoring old firearms. Sometimes I end up with more in them than I can buy one for, but I hate to see a firearm die. Those old "barn" guns are now able to give another generation years of enjoyment.

JB

It looks like Bob's gun shop has the stock I need listed on his site that mossy posted http://www.gun-parts.com/savagestocks/

I have emailed the guy twice with no response. He no longer takes phone orders and his voicemail does not accept messages as he so kindly states on his recording. Sure I can fax in and order or order through email but who does that without confirming the product is available first? Maybe he is just a small time business and is busy which is fine but.....

Does anyone have experience with this guy?

I did read that on the site. I will be patient and wait for the right parts. It would just be nice if they would contact me to let me know if they can help me. I don't mind waiting for the parts just don't want to waste time searching elsewhere.

I contacted gunpartscorp.com last week and they have been out of stock for a long time and may not restock. Also that set is for a "top safety" and mine has the bottom safety. Too bad because I really like the looks of that laminated stock/forend and the price is/was great. I have read most people don't care for the laminated stocks on shotguns for whatever reason. Maybe because they are plywood and not solid and don't hold up? Not sure but if I could find a set like that I would buy it. For the record this gun will not be shot much. It was given (used) to a family member for his 16th birthday years ago and I just want to bring it back to life.

right now anything to do with guns is in a frenzy. nobody can keep up with it from what i see.

I tried electrolysis for the first time today. I figured the Springfield was a perfect candidate for this procedure. I made a tank with a section of pvc gutter and glued on end caps. I used a cell phone charger and 1/4" sacrificial rod. After 5 hours, a little Big 45 and some oil it looks much better but there is significant pitting on the outside of the frame. The barrel looks great. All of the other parts cleaned up nicely and are ready for installation. However I'm not sure if I am finished with the frame or what more I could do. Do I leave it the way it is and keep it oiled? Or blast and sand it and then cold blue it? Or see what it would cost to re-blue?

Here are some pics:

837d0aee-0323-4203-86ae-177690ce7bb7_zpse12e03da.jpg

1951A399-BD7D-429E-A8F2-35379EF91E37-3202-000003E5F050CC18_zpsd5e4c98b.jpg

7E2566A7-961B-4919-B63A-65E0CD12EEAA-3202-000003E5F6503A25_zpsf31f756a.jpg

C7B8819E-8B28-4A0D-9D40-739B02A2080B-3202-000003E61695C9C7_zpsce49ff75.jpg

4A419333-1BFD-4A46-9274-E88135EC4F8E-3202-000003E62162F27C_zps2ad911ea.jpg

5A9E1605-5AA8-44B8-85CE-8B373279A3F3-3202-000003E626CCCB41_zpscc4bac3a.jpg

CA2226AC-2815-4A30-9802-BF05A3D03FE7-3202-000003E62FC2C0BB_zps83b4e234.jpg

looks like you did a great job so far. great idea on the elec. tank. :)
i think you should try the re-bluing yourself. they sell kits.
just my nickel's worth. :)

thanks guys!

mossy, are the bluing kits you mention basically the spray can stuff?

My local gunsmith does re-bluing so I will get an estimate from him. I have no idea what it costs.

express said:
thanks guys!

mossy, are the bluing kits you mention basically the spray can stuff?

My local gunsmith does re-bluing so I will get an estimate from him. I have no idea what it costs.

from what i've seen,you can pick up a kit for $20=25.
,,,,,,see what the local gunsmith wants . nothing to loose.

theres a bunch on the interweb,heres one.
http://www.cabelas.com/solvents-lubes-b ... -kit.shtml

express said:
911JB said:
express, As a little insperation I thought I would show you a link to a couple sad marlin 60's that I brought back to life a while back.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/sh ... p?t=373728

JB

nice work JB! so cold blue is basically a sprayed on finish? how well does it hold up?

No, cold blue is a liquid finish that colors the steel. Its not as dark or as durable as hot bluing but works pretty good IMO.

JB

,,,,,,express,,,when you are finished with the project take that elec.tank and make the mrs. a herg garden. :D

Attachments

• herbs.jpg
    herbs.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 163
LGS wants $160 to polish out the pitting and rebluing. $60 if I do the polishing. I'd like to give it a try but I'm going to need some advise guys. He said to start with 150 grit and work through 400 which I can do but he said he would do some type of filing first. I can't remember what he called it. cross file? or check file? I don't know but any help through it would be appreciated guys :)

express said:
LGS wants $160 to polish out the pitting and rebluing. $60 if I do the polishing. I'd like to give it a try but I'm going to need some advise guys. He said to start with 150 grit and work through 400 which I can do but he said he would do some type of filing first. I can't remember what he called it. cross file? or check file? I don't know but any help through it would be appreciated guys :)

i believe he was talking about "cross polishing". take a look at this like give you an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUpVrKwuxMg

Back