• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Less than Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

Re: Less that Lethal shotgun shell for the first round.

Nick Burkhardt said:
You have to understand that we are easing in to the thought of using a firearm for home defense. For the last 20 years all we had was a 3 D-cell Maglite, and it could be that is all we would need for the next 20 years.

The recoil of the first round is something to consider also. The the recoil from #4 Buck much less than 00?

Nick, the bottom line is that you and your wife have to be comfortable and proficient with the options you choose.

I live in the deadliest city in America (according the FBI 2 years running), I see a lot of bad stuff going down around me so my need may be different than yours. I carry every day, every where I am legally allowed to. I also sleep with at least two guns within arms reach.

Don't let any of us pressure you into doing something you are uncomfortable with. A less than lethal weapon or even a pointy stick that you are proficient with is a heck of a lot better than a one-shot man stopper that you can't hit the broad side of a barn with.

Whatever you decide upon practice practice and then practice some more. If you are able, get formal training, they can teach you skills you aren't even aware you are lacking.

Nick,

Low recoil 00 buck doesn't kick much more than birdshot. And the recoil on birdshot is mild and very manageable.

Before you get intimidated go to the range with various loads and see what works well with you and your wife.

The old saying goes... I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Chances are you will never use it to defend yourself. There's probably a bigger chance this purchase turns into a range hobby and gets you into shooting clay pigeons.

Win win in my book.

These are all we could find in stock locally.

We are visiting Seattle in March and hope to find larger stores like a Cabela's.

Attachments

• 20130221_145308.jpg
    20130221_145308.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 175

what size buck is that?

I appreciate the open discussion in the thread and the willingness of the OP to lay their case on the line. I have a brother that believes in 'warning shots' - we are in two different camps and discussion is off the table.

For home defense I have semi auto pistols with extended mags, lights and hot SD ammo with one in the chamber as my go-to first defense. We don't have kids, live in a stout brick home with plaster/lath walls and solid wood doors. We are in the city. If you are in my house uninvited it is reasonable to assume that you have bad intentions and, therefore, my wife and I are in danger. If you are in my light and sights there is very little I can think of that will stop me from protecting my home by neutralizing a threat. Three people have keys to our home. They ALL know to call first if an emergency is sending them my way. If you immediately turn and run to exit my home I am ethically at odds with shooting you in the back but my state has a very strong Castle Doctirine so it had better be clear that you are exiting my home ASAP and nothing further.

Shotgun - that's in the br closet and is tier #2. It is loaded with 8 rounds of 00 buck with 11 more mounted on the gun (and a box at the ready).

My wife and I are both adult professionals. We intend to die of natural causes some time down the road. I appreciate the discussion and thought I'd take the time to add a bit about myself and our position on home invasion.

Nick Burkhardt said:
00 is all they had. $19.99 for the box.
You did well. That’s good ammo and will serve the roll well. The target ammo looks good for you to get a feel for the gun and how it functions for cheap and the recoil isn’t too bad .Most clay target type loads are cheap and low recoil, good for learning. It’s hard to really get any ammo reliably right now, but online can give you much more selection then you have local……usually, now is a bad time to come into firearms, it will pass, don’t be discouraged if you don’t find what you want in the current climate…

Looks like your off to a good start, and you seem rational and intelligent, I see the firearm enthusiast hidden within you , welcome to your new hobby

i'll add my couple of pennies as my wife and i considered this option at one point also.

much like you, we live in a low crime area with basically no home invasions. even though she grew up with guns in the house as her father was a hunter and a a local "popo" for awhile, she did not want any in the house after our first daughter was born. not a problem, i respected that even though i didn't agree and my hunting rifle and shotgun lived at my parents home. then a few years ago we moved from the country setting into the closest town, a 6 mile difference. she then changed her tune and wanted something to protect her and the kids. she wanted a pistol for beside the bed when i worked nights. she had shot her dad's duty S&W Sigma well before i met her. She liked that gun so that is what i bought, in 40 S&W. the exact same gun as her dad used to carry on duty and carries concealed every day. there is now the sigma on her side, my M&P 40c(which is my everyday carry) on my side. my dads 586(.357 mag revolver) in the top shelf of the closet and my 715t, all loaded and within reach. not to mention the ones in the gun safe in the basement.

there was discussion on what to get, go the shotgun route with the less than lethal rounds or go with something with a more permanent outcome. she kept saying how it will probably never happen because it just does not happen in our area. my counter point to that was tornadoes don't happen often in our area, but i have pics and scars from surviving one as it destroyed our home when i was 12. that ended that part of the conversation. then we tackled the letting the poor guy live. that's a good thing, until he comes back a few days later, p.o'ed that you shot him with a piece of rubber and ruined his night of thievery/rape/murderous fun. now he knows what to expect. so this time when he comes back, he is armored AND armed, maybe even with some back-up. he knows you have the rubber round in and is protected against it. he don't care about you, your family or your well being. by breaking in, he already shows he has no regard for the law or you.

so basically, until the threat is eliminated, it is a threat, and will be more dangerous than if it is nonexistent.

in the end you have to do what is right for you and your family, but if not fully eliminating the threat is what you want, then maybe a firearm is not for you. i know my family comes first. i may be a victim, but i won't be an easy victim.

The only thing I'm gonna add here is this.

We too live in a very low crime area, but I'll never assume to know the mind and intent of a criminal and will never operate under the assumption or probability it isn't likely to happen here.

Anything can happen at anytime and even my youngins are trained to use firearms because I can't always be here.

This has been a good conversation.

I have actually enjoyed this "debate". Others no flaming on one side or the other, no "friggin' idiot" comments or what have you. I liked the video of the soldiers lol. Now for my semi-brief input. I've worked in a Meth clinic, I've done security in various types in 3 states. I can tell you this as I have seen it with my own eyes. IF a person enters your home UTI of Meth, Heroine, PCP, others... your well being is furthest from their mind. And so, theirs should not be on your mind as well. IF a sober person has entered your home illegally, they had plenty of time to consider the options, and made the choice to do so, without regard to their well being any further. They could have turned and left long before they got over the threshold... they chose not to... I agree and applaud your choice in discussing this and getting options. I too thought the same as you when I 1st got my gun... however, now, not so much.
a2a7edyh.jpg

Semper Fi my Brothers & Sisters in Arms.

I ordered some 2 3/4" Fiocchi shells with 15 rubber buckshot and none to soon. We had some rapid shaking of our screen door tonite which freaked my wife out. Before grabbing the shotgun I took a look out the peephole and found our indoor cat staring back at me. He had snuck out earlier and climbed the screen to eye level causing it to slam about. I would have gotten a pic, but he was clawing the screen and needed to be removed ASAP.

I could just see my wife opening the door, getting surprised and blowing poor little fluffy into the lawn, with those extra 00 buck pellets ending up in the kids bedroom across the street.

I do believe that according to the Vice-President the proper procedure there would have been to just shoot whatever was making the noise through the door....lol

Naw Grandpa Joe said go out on the porch and fire two blasts into the air. Of course they have a house in a secluded and heavily wooded area, where I have the neighbors bedroom window 82' from our front porch.

Biden did indeed say to fire through the door.

Additionlly, id never recommend opening the door to confront a threat, in this case your cat. ID the threat, react accordingly, but not by opening the front door.

Then I would need a new door and a new kitty!

Yes, I identified the kitty through the peephole.

Rossignol said:

Additionlly, id never recommend opening the door to confront a threat, in this case your cat. ID the threat, react accordingly, but not by opening the front door.

Dont waist your typing fingers

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:

I never open the door either. I would think shooting through the door would be a bad idea. It could be argued that the door was keeping you from mortal danger. Once that door is breached, game on.

I suppose that argument could be changed by disparity of force or other factors. Hard to give a definite answer as each case would have different circumstances.

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:

Oli,,,,maybe,,,,,,

Attachments

• smallsign.jpg
    smallsign.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 252

oli700 said:
Rossignol said:

Come on oil, rubber buckshot and safety's on carry guns for new shooters are like training wheels for someone who has never ridden a bicycle. Some of us feel more comfortable having a net while learning.

We checked to see than nobody was holding our cat hostage before opening the door.

I wonder if Biden meant fire through the door, or through an open doorway? Oh well, that's enough politics.

Back