• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Modern Musket~~never DONE~~

oli700 said:
so far I am liking the stubbier version , I thought I would like the feel of the full grip and my entire hand on the grip , but I like the feel of griping it more like an AFG. ROCK solid and still an all metal AR.....other than the rubber grip.....and the foam cheek rest which by the way is WAY tougher than I gave it credit for

Damn, that's sexy bro!

^^^Ok, I can admit it...I'm friggin' jealous ok?!? So sue me!!! Oli....you fortunate and talented sob!! :lol:

I can't seem to get used to the feel of a front pistol grip. Had one on and off a few times. What do you see as the advantages?

I don't want to speak out of place, but I don't mind sharing my opinions about it. And since this is so subjective, I am sure there will be many reasons depending on who replies, but:

Here's what I like about front grips

They are more comfortable to me to hold and point

Since my wrist is more comfortable, I can hold on point for longer and more stable which helps me be more accurate, especially at longer distances

I can use the front grip as a makeshift support or rest or bipod, etc.

I can use the front grip as a carryhandle when I have the butt of the gun up close to me and under my shoulder.

I guess you're old enough to have used a scythe at one time or another. My favorite ones also had a grip on them. Just easier to swing. Ever use one that didn't have a front grip?

Very nice Oli.

I keep going back and forth between the AFG and the front grip on mine. I like both for different reasons under different circumstances. I need a forward grip that folds into an AFG. LOL

you all are too kind......

I like the VFG on this rifle because it feels good on the swing and I like pulling on it a little to keep the nose down. It really works good to keep the nose down , it also makes me grab the rifle the same time every time, putting out front like I have it helps make it feel lighter to me because this rifle is a tad nose heavy.....if I had to hold it up there forever I would resort to the magwell

Plus all the reasons John mentioned

I think it feels great, going to take it out here in about an hour, night shoot ......but the trigger.....it feels more like a press than a pull if that makes since ?

not as talkative as this guy, but he eventually pulls the trigger on this Geissele 3g trigger, I think mine moves better

I like your video better.

I don't have the patience to listen to someone gas for three minutes before they pull the damn trigger...

lol, yeah......and he's just savoring the moment like it was oh so the most important moment of his life lol but he had better camera focus skills

Anyway the trigger was all I was hoping it would be. When that scope finally comes out I think I'll really appreciate it. But tonight I was zapping good old tin cans with the red dot, the trigger was so nice , a true press and break almost telepathic feeling .

I really really like the flat bow a lot. 5 round bursts were noticeably faster, much faster. Fast enough that I seemed to stay on target better because it got over with quicker.......sounds lame and maybe it was mental but either way I shot real well

For 100 bucks less then a comparable single stage Geissele I think I won. I haven't shot the Geissele but I cant imagine a 100 improvement......maybe

I got this from Whitestone Castle Armory in Texas. They were increadably fast, I ordered on the 28th, this is the 1st so good service.

http://www.wcarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_101&products_id=772

167 shipped, slickguns had a code TRIGGER18 and it took 9 bucks off, weird only 9 but it was something, weirder I cant find the deal on slickguns again but I would do 167 and feel it is worth it all day and I'm real picky on trigger, but don't want to break the bank at the same time.
They are selling the new version that doesn't use the circlips but instead it uses button torx screws that screw into each end of the hammer and trigger pins. The only thing is they don't suck up to the receiver and when the hammer is decocked I can move them side to side......but its probably not an issue, just a surprise.

It had everything I was looking for, light pull but not too light with trigger discipline, very crisp break and a shorter reset than the milpsec trigger I had....which was one of , if not the best milspec trigger I have ever felt........I hit the lottery of milspec triggers but this is 100% improvement

It was kept simple, with no adjustment to retain reliability. Honestly I don't need things like that because its never good enough, just got to keep messing with it.
It was designed to digest dirt, mud, sand and keep running in the most adverse conditions
Most of all I didn't want to compromise long term reliability and durability. They really promote milspec reliability and durability, this trigger does not use lighter springs . It uses full strength rocket wire springs and the hammer hits very hard, this also reduces locking time or the time between the sear releasing the hammer and the hammer hitting the pin. This is supposed to increase accuracy simply because there is less time to move the muzzle in that nano second before the hammer strikes.

Highly recommended for someone looking at the bang for buck deal, and keeping reliability/durability in a fighting rifle

Awesome bro, thanks for the feedback.

I have a gritty mil-spec trigger that needs replacing, so I might give this CMC piece a try...

What do you guys think of this new TAC CON trigger assembly? They sure are asking alot of money for it.

http://tacconusa.com/

I like that it allows you to flip to the fun switch position and simluate full auto with a semi arrangement. No silly sliding bumpstock required. Is it worth 5 bills though? I'd have to try someone else's first. I can't lie. It would be nice to utilize the Live, Dead, and Undead positions on my Spikes Zombie lower lol. :D

Last edited:
Is it worth 5 bills though?

Can't speak for anyone else, but to me... HELL NO!

I can dump a mag pretty quick without a $500 trigger, but I honestly can't remember the last time I did that. Don't really see the point and I'd much rather spend my time and ammo practicing putting a couple well placed rounds on target vs. an entire mag all over the place...

FA, bump fire and the like is a lot of fun, but the thrill passes quickly. It gets real expensive real fast when you burn through that much ammo.

I would not pay $500 for a trigger. Just spend a few weeks playing flappy birds to build that finger twitch and you can get the same effect for half the free. LOL

I know two people who have some buyers remorse with that trigger. I shot one, its different and nice but really not the step up the price suggests. There was some serious hype with that trigger that I don't believe it lives up too

I think once you spend a bunch of time with any of these triggers they shine,Geissele , CMC, Timeny

I have a gut feeling the typical parts kit trigger I got in mine right now isn't gonna be the greatest. Until I get the upper back and the rest of my stuff I ordered to hit up the range I won't know for sure. Kinda hard to test the trigger without the upper and bolt carrier in place. I don't want to screw up the bolt catch lever. I'm hoping its not too sloppy and might smooth out with some use but I think ultimately I'll be visiting a better trigger down the pipe. I always hear good of Geissele products and I saw their enhanced (ALG branded) mil spec trigger parts are not that much to try out. Not sure if I want to spend alot of money right off the bat so if the parts kit one sucks I'll give the ALG one a shot first. No way in hell I'm going spend that much on something like that TAC CON ever. I could maybe justify one day the cost of one of these decent 2 stage ones you guys are suggesting though.

I do appreciate all of your opinions. Good to hear oli you know folks that have bought and had a chance to check it out for yourself. You say pass then its a pass. I can see the appeal of someone only wanting to spend 500 for the fun switch setting to actually work on a title 1 gun vs spending 15k or more on a pre 86 title 2 one. In many ways that has been TAC CON's big selling point with that 3rd position.

Last edited:
Back