• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Accessories...

Re: Mossberg 500 Forend ???

Chance 338-Check to make sure that the cut-off bridges on the forend are completely cut down to the forend. Many times those bridges are not cut down enough or snapped off and leave behind material on the inside of the forend. Because of the left over material on the inside of the forend this may be what is hanging up on the receiver, try and clean/file those areas and see if it is still sticking. Feel free to PM me.

Re: Mossberg 500 Forend ???

well, its ATI.
I hear they have improved of late, but had enough sour taste from them to leave them alone now.

That said.
Remove the barrel, does it still stick?
If it does, look around the receiver to see if your hanging up there.
If it doesn't, move the slide back and see where it binds. it may be hanging up on the sides of the barrel since it doesn't look like you have a field barrel.

Re: How do I tell if my 500 is short action or long action?

Any way to tell without removing the forend? I just picked up a new 8-shot Persuader and am wondering if I need the spacer for the Hogue forend or not.

Thanks,
OB

Short answer NO!

The process of taking off the slide assembly takes 2 minutes.
It is something that shoould be done during the initial cleaning.
Removing the forearm from that point takes 10 seconds.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum bengals86 !!

LTB45 said:
Short answer NO!

The process of taking off the slide assembly takes 2 minutes.
It is something that shoould be done during the initial cleaning.
Removing the forearm from that point takes 10 seconds.
Really?

Attachments

• 100_2750.JPG
    100_2750.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 1,729

Are you questioning the time it takes strip a 500?
Or the measuring of the action bar?

My original and one of my replacement forearms are wood.
With out removing the tube you cannot tell if the forearm is already attached with a Hogue extender nut so the measurement would not be acurate.

I guess that is the price I pay for saving a couple hundred bucks by buying used......Takes me an extra couple of minutes to be sure of the tube length on my 500's.

LTB45 said:
Are you questioning the time it takes strip a 500?
Or the measuring of the action bar?

My original and one of my replacement forearms are wood.
With out removing the tube you cannot tell if the forearm is already attached with a Hogue extender nut so the measurement would not be acurate.

I guess that is the price I pay for saving a couple hundred bucks by buying used......Takes me an extra couple of minutes to be sure of the tube length on my 500's.
being able to measure the length of the action tube without removing the slide from the gun.
If your under 7-5/8", then you have the short tube.
The action bars are teh same length between the two. My short tube is within a 1/4" of the receiver when I open the action.

Re: Mossberg 500 Pump Action Forends

chance338 said:
Hello, I recently bought a Mossberg 500 with the black forend that is made onto the slide tube. I got the factory forend off and ordered a replacement from ATI. The problem is that it doesn't fit right, it sticks real bad near the receiver. Does anybody have any suggestions or solutions? I am thinking about trashing it and ordering something different.

Welcome to the board chance338. As far as the sticking issue, if you remove the forend and look at it from the top you'll notice little support tabs along the sides of the forend. Then if you look at the barrel you'll notice wear marks where the forend is rubbing against the barrel near the receiver. These tabs are easily trimmed with a Dremel cutoff wheel (what I did) or a pair of side cutters. I had to remove the first two or three tabs (starting from the rear and working forward) to get mine to work right. Just do one set at a time and test until you get it working. A good way to test how many you need to trim is to (while the forend is installed) slide the forend all the way back then take a piece of paper or dollar bill and slide it between the forend and barrel from the front of the forend until you can't slide it past the tabs anymore. Let me know if this helps.

Re: different looking pistol grip shotgun?

When I bought it, it was a pistol grip. Is it bad that I got that specific brand with a pistol grip? I'm wondering if I got ripped:/

I bought it brand new for $350.00

Was it new or used? Did it come in a cardboard Mossberg box? Flip the gun over and just forward of the elevator, on the receiver, you should see the model number.

First one that I found on Gunbroker that looks like it.
Has a heat shield as well.

$289.00 Factory New +$30 shipping and then your Xfer fee ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275283964

pix998397106.jpg

I agree with NiteSite, it is a 500 Persuader with pistol grip.

I dont think its a bad price. The best I have seen with some savvy shopping is around $300 for that model.

I'm a huge fan of the Persuaders, in fact I have the very same model, but with a standard stock as well, I traded a bulldog pup, valued at $300 for it and it was used. I'm very pleased with the deal I got on it! :D

(is it redneck trading dogs for guns and vice versa?) :lol:

Here's my Mossberg 500 Cruiser ( 8 shot )...20" barrel...Model # 50580

Does it look like this...?!

MOSSBERG500CRUISERsmall-1-2.jpg

Ah yes... Cruiser would be the right term for the model.

Not all Cruisers are 8 shot models, but I think it used to be that all Persuaders were. The model I have has the stock and pistol grip and is the Persuader/Cruiser, meaning 8 shot with stock and pistol grip...

Correct Rossignol...the Cruiser also came in a 6 shot config...Model #50440

Re: Muzzleloading barrel?

Broll500 said:
Been looking into these heard that they're a but on the heavy side though. That and the fact that you can pick up a nice used muzzle loader for the price of the barrel has me wondering what to do...:-|

The Mossberg muzzleloader barrel does look like a nice thing to have. How much use are you going to get out of it? If it is gonna sit and collect dust then it's not a good buy at any price, If you are going to get some use out of it, then its a nice addition to the Mossberg 500.

Back