Mossberg 500 Pump Action Barrels

Discussion in 'Mossberg 500 Pump Action' started by Itsricmo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Bobster

Bobster .308 Supporter

I bought an older 500AT that had a 28" barrel. Made a "riot gun" out of it, cutting it down to 18". Had a non-ribbed barrel. Gun was ratty so I sold it. My dot was 10 when that pic was taken giving me her "mean" look. :rolleyes: I let her hip fire it once and she almost dropped it! :eek: She initially wanted to put it up against her shoulder until I talked her out of it! :eek:

The 2 barrels are a "before and after" of a NEF single-shot 12ga (I had 2 of the same exact gun). I use a (perfectly square) horizontal bandsaw and deburr tool and wheel, then some cold blue. Note I remounted the sight. I keep new Mossy beads in stock (with drill and tap) because they are a smaller tap size and could always be enlarged, if necessary. I have some 90^ blocks I use to assure the sight is perfectly upright. I've done a dozen or so barrels and they all came out similar to the NEF (OEM-ish)... :)

Attached Files:

John A. likes this.
  2. mbshop

mbshop .223

thanks. i think i can do a decent job if i find a used barrel. doesn't look that bad actually. great pic of daughter being serious !
  3. Sonofagun

Sonofagun .410

Does anyone have a source for a Model 500 20 gauge 28" barrel w/ Accu-choke? The estore doesn't even list one.
  4. LTB45

LTB45 .308 Supporter

20 ga would be 26"
    old mossy likes this.
  5. Sonofagun

Sonofagun .410

I guess it looks like I'll have to buy another model 500 20 gauge shotgun to get a barrel.
  6. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Give Carson's a call. They have a lot of used barrels.

DON CORSON
    2124 PAWNEE DR.
    KINGMAN, AZ 86401
    928-718-4282

Mossberg Serial Numbers
  7. Sonofagun

Sonofagun .410

Thanks again Old Mossy!
  8. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

9. Vernon

Vernon .22LR Supporter Premier Member

I have a 1997 Mossberg 500 in twenty gauge. The barrel has quite a few rusty areas. I have cleaned the spots and attempted a good repair. Not perfect but o.k.
    My question is how far gone must a barrel be before buying another? Is there a standard like for auto tires that have the wear bars to indicate it's time to buy a new one?
    The integrity of the barrel has not been compromised at this point.
  10. Sonofagun

Sonofagun .410

Where are the rusty spots: inside or outside of the barrel ?

Once rust gets past the bluing of the metal it doesn't stop. Rust on the outside of the barrel shouldn't make the gun unsafe for shooting unless the pits are so deep that it compromises the strength of the barrel.

Do you have a picture of the barrel that you can post?
    LTB45 likes this.
  11. Vernon

I took the entire gun to the gunsmith for his opinion/repair
  12. Vernon

Mossberg will sell you a barrel for a very reasonable price-I know because I bought three.
  13. cazually

cazually Copper BB

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  14. cazually

cazually Copper BB

Finally, I have converted my field flex to a high cap.

[​IMG]
    old mossy and Rossignol like this.