• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Sticky Safety Issue

So I was just seeing if any of you guys have any advice on how to get my safety to be a little less difficult to turn on or off. Its not that it doesnt work, but its a lot easier to turn off than to put back on. I make it happen but its just kind of a pain in the ass especially if Im letting a friend test out the ole Mossy. I already lubricated and worked it back and forth plenty and it hasnt helped yet. Any other ideas? would loosening the screw in the center help at all or would that just weaken the connection? Thanks for the help

Re: Sticky Safety Issue

We had started a thread on this somewhere... I'll see if I can find it and I'll link it up here.

Well, I would certainly drop the trigger assembly, check everything out, and reassemble if you haven't done that. Sometimes they just go together a little off-kilter. If this is something you've been experiencing from day one, I'd just take some gun solvent to whatever grease is present, and then lightly lube it.

Ya I've already disassembled and reassembled the gun a few times since owning it and have cleaned it thoroughly with solvent then relubricated and it's still pretty sticky. I'll see if I can a little tinkering tonight, doing another cleaning after that Monday shooting session.

Do you think it is sticky compared to other 500’s?

Mine was the same after I replaced the plastic button.
I just loosened the screw 1/8 turn and put a drop of loctite on it.
Works fine now.

Well i disassembled my mossy again and lubricated it and cleaned it thoroughly, looks like it helped a little bit after working the safety back and forth so much. Thanks for the advice guys

500A stock trouble

I purchased a 500A and for the life of me I cannot get the stock bolt out to attach a pistol grip.
It just won't turn.

It has a slot for a screwdriver, I tried a big one and the 1/2 inch hex head, nothing will break it loose.

Any Ideas?

Re: 500A stock trouble

Chances are from the way it sounds, it was thread locked. If you can break the 500 down, maybe get a light and look at the end of the receiver for any red or blue on the inside. What sometimes happens is it gets over done. Shouldnt be thread locked at all, but some folks do it. This is assuming its used.

If its not used, you may just need to be more forceful with it. Slowly and carefully apply torque to it.

Are you clamping the receiver in a padded vise? Trying to hold it while turning may prevent you from applying enough torque. Forget the screwdriver- use a socket if you can get on it. PM me if you still can't get it. Just don't break the bolt! (I made a living as a professional mechanic and stubborn hardware was just part of the job) I can give other options.

Re: Stuck Action Lock Lever

Took out my Mossberg 500 Persuader yesterday for the first time to the range and it performed flawlessly. Shot 25 slugs through it and the gun didn't flinch one bit ! Thanks for everyones help !

excellent, glad you got your Mossberg 500 persuader working again

Good deal! Thanks for updating!

Were you able to get the stock off?

Grrr ... Ejector Screw

Went to the range today to exercise my Trench Gun 500 and ended up a little frustrated. Somewhere along the way the screw that holds the ejector in place loosened itself and fell out of the gun. I was able to run a few rounds through before the action froze up because the ejector had fallen into the internals of the gun, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

/rant

Fortunately, it's only a $4.00 part and I needed a couple other things from MidwayUSA anyway.

If you've never fully stripped your 500 here are the internal parts and what they look like.

InternalsDiagram.jpg

Back