• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: slugs with 500a?

Words dont always come off the right way being typed. So i hope i just read wrong

But it seems some people are expecting me to go shoot a dry forest down with these rounds and walk away.

Please dont assume this. I would of coarse be safe and resposible with them.

I personally wonder way anyone would just assume someone is ignorant and irresponsable.

Again. Words can come off wrong via text. And that goes for mine as well, dont read this with a harsh tone of voice or additude. I just feel like its been assumed i dont have the common sense to be safe.

Its one thing to just state "remember to be safe". Thats not what im refering to here..

That being said... Thanks so far with the input about the slugs. I wanted to make sure the gun wouldnt blow up in my face. Lol!

Sorry gibson, didn't mean to offend you. Was just going on a rant there about how stupid people in general can be. It was in no way directed at you personally.

No assumptions here, no one means anything. Just people posting thought and concerns. For all we know we could be talking to anyone who might browsing this post and give someone something to think about. Please don’t take offence. You could be a 15 yo kid saying “nothing like flaming slugs”…..I don’t think you are but like you said communication over text is sketchy. I am glad you have common since, we have a saying in my world,…."Problem with common since is that it’s not that common" :lol:

No prob guys. Just wanted to make sure it was all clear.

On second thought. Might be a good way to get a bon fire going...

J/K!

I know that Sabots are best for accuracy for a rifled barrel, but can standard slugs "work" in rifled barrel as well? My curiosity is sparked because Sabots are expensive and slugs are not so much.

walpoler said:
I know that Sabots are best for accuracy for a rifled barrel, but can standard slugs "work" in rifled barrel as well? My curiosity is sparked because Sabots are expensive and slugs are not so much.
Can you ... sure. Should you ... ehhh. I've heard it's ok to do so, but I'm 'the right tool for the job' kind of guy. You'd probably be better buying a smooth bore barrel and havng the added benefit of bck and birdshot then to use a rifled slug in a rifled barrel.

Re: How do I care for my first shotgun?

im going to bump this Old thread up Hope nobody minds.. since its on the topic of cleaning a 500's finish, any tips for cleaning a matte black finish on my 500?

Same deal! ;) Oil it, wipe it down. Before you fire it, break it down and get all the cosmoline out.

Mossys dont need to be wet with oil, some like alot but not a 500, so just a light coat. But that cosmo will gunk it up quick so get that out, wipe it down with oil and keep it a thin layer.

Then shoot it a bunch! Clean it again, oil, wipe everything down, good to go!

Rossignol said:
Then shoot it a bunch! Clean it again, oil, wipe everything down, good to go!

Now, when u say oil it, with what are u referring to? A "Rem-Oil" like product ?

I usually clean with CLP, then spray and let sit with RemOil and wipe it down again, then when everything comes out clean, I most commonly use Hoppes gun oil.

When I field strip for cleaning everything gets a dose of CLP and a thorough scrubbing with a toothbrush. Then the bore gets a bath in Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber, several passes with the bare copper bore brush, and then several more with the bore brush wrapped in cotton patches until I they come out clean. Then the entire gun gets wiped down with Barricade before reassembly.

Then I load, shoot, and repeat...

Okay so rem-oil and or breakfree can be used on the outside as Long as I rub it in and this will keep my matte black looking flawless ? Lol sorry for being amateur

I usually end up with oil on everything, and I use my hands to smear oil on parts. I dont have the matte finish, but a number of other folks here do. I would imagine a little oil wont hurt it. I just wipe everything down with a cloth or cleaning patches when I'm done to get any excess off I may have left behind from oiling.

Oh! Dan I know for sure has had his in the snow. He uses different oil and I believe he more dilligently cleans his firearms. The finish should def hold up, but with use expect some wear areas where youre gonna see metal underneath.

p689786393-4.jpg

I use FrogLube on my firearms but for a while I used good ole Hoppes oil and it did a great job.

If I'm not using weapon shield, I'll use mobil 1.

John A. said:
If I'm not using weapon shield, I'll use mobil 1.

I just recently tried Mobil 1! They have a 0W/40 and so far so good! I had planned to do a sort of review later on down the road.

I have used a lot of mobil 1 over the years on my guns.

I have used them on shotguns, pistols, and rifles.

Another "homebrew" of sorts is a concoction named "Ed's Red" and "Bug Juice", although I don't put lanolin in my mix as some instructions call for, but that stuff is slick as a minner.

Skip to 1:20 to bypass some of the jabber.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OfaCCJjBEU[/youtube]

Mobil 1 0W/40 ??? How do u apply to parts ? And you use it on the outside finish?

Back