• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: mag spring

Yup, it is the loading and unloading that wears springs out eventually. Leaving them compressed is ok, and leaving them uncompressed is ok

It will be fine, but if I were you I would go ahead and take the opportunity and order an extra power mag tube spring Wolff. Mossberg a factory springs are notoriously weak.

I recently added an extended mag tube on a winchester 1300. There was a clear warning on the prodcut label that if you leave it fully loaded for 2 years, to replace the spring.

I know there are many different thoughts on the subject, but springs can and do take a set after being fully compressed for long periods of time. I personally won't even leave the hammers cocked on my semiautos when I put them in the safe. Maybe it's just OCD, but I don't.

I also know of people who intentionally leave a new magazine fully loaded for a long while just to help make it easier to load and "break it in" so to speak.

I even rotate my (always loaded/always ready) mags out periodically.

Sorry to be the naysayer, but that's how I do it.

If I was a spring maker I would put that sticker on my spring too

oli700 said:

:lol:

I guess I can see a lot of logic in that statement

oli700 said:

Just like the guy that added 3 words to bottles of shampoo that Doubled sales.

"Rinse and Repeat" :lol:

:lol: nothing wrong with a little job security.....
Nothing wrong with a little insurance too, if that’s what puts you in the zone then its all money well spent for peace of mind, I happen to like to roll the dice with my springs, putting all my stock in modern metallurgy. The only time a change a spring is for performance gain like trigger pull or something else that’s going to improve my shooting, other than that if it is still feeding ammo or cycling my bolt I leave it alone.
I have known a lot of Mossberg’s and never seen or heard of a broken or weak spring in other than a handful of posts on the internet. It’s like everything on the internet though, you hardly ever hear when things go good, but it only takes a couple bad things to happen too loud people and the next thing you know companies are notorious for bad things happening to their stuff…….

oli700 said:
:lol: nothing wrong with a little job security.....
Nothing wrong with a little insurance too, if that’s what puts you in the zone then its all money well spent for peace of mind, I happen to like to roll the dice with my springs, putting all my stock in modern metallurgy. The only time a change a spring is for performance gain like trigger pull or something else that’s going to improve my shooting, other than that if it is still feeding ammo or cycling my bolt I leave it alone.
I have known a lot of Mossberg’s and never seen or heard of a broken or weak spring in other than a handful of posts on the internet. It’s like everything on the internet though, you hardly ever hear when things go good, but it only takes a couple bad things to happen too loud people and the next thing you know companies are notorious for bad things happening to their stuff…….

I hear ya! Out of four Mossberg a I have had only one weak spring from the factory. All mine are 590a1 18.5" models. The weak factory spring was the only one that didn't have green paint on the muzzle end of the spring. Don't know if that was a different sourced company or not but I know it was too weak to feed the last round in the mag tube. Like I posted above I change all my mossbergs out with Wolff springs. Is it needed, no. But it's worth the extra insurance in my opinion for the cost.

That sucks, too weak to feed the last round! Bet you weren’t happy....do you think it was the right spring to begin with ?
Because I would almost believe that Mossberg put in the wrong spring rather than a spring being weak so early in its life.

oli700 said:
That sucks, too weak to feed the last round! Bet you weren’t happy....do you think it was the right spring to begin with ?
Because I would almost believe that Mossberg put in the wrong spring rather than a spring being weak so early in its life.

It is possible, the coil count was 1 or two off, I remember measuring the spring and it being almost 1.5" shorter than the others. The diameter was the same and coil thickness.

Huh, well you got a Wolff in there now so you KNOW it’s good to go....I question their quality control more than a healthy amount these days…Mossberg that is, not Wolff

Unscrew the mag tube and stick it in.
The tube may be tough to get loose but if you heat it a bit at the joint of the receiver with a blow drier it should come off with some strength applied.

500 barrel issue **pic added**

In November I purchased a 20 ga combo. When i bought the gun the field barrel was installed and I shot about 100 shells through it and swapped the rifled slug barrel on for deer hunting with no problem. Well after deer season I tried installed the field barrel and it seems to need a little extra force to get it seated and to get the screw started. Then when it is screwed down the lines on top of the barrel aren't completely centered with the lines on the receiver, their off by roughly 1/16th inch. I looked over the barrel and there isn't any obvious imperfections. I don't know if this is a problem or if I'm just being picky but the rifled barrel drops right in with no problems.

Back