• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Really Dumb Questions re: Slugs

I'll also add, I tried shooting some sabots that were not specifically recommended for rifled choke tubes out of a smoothbore with rifled choke tube installed and they keyholed horriby at 50 yards.

These were 20G Hornady SST's shout through a Carlsons extend rifled choke tube. I thought the extended tube might help but it was a fail. I hear some of the lower velocity rounds work but I have not tried them. My test was more of "I happen to have these things so I'll try it" rather than a formal test so I did not have a wide selection of sample loads on hand.

On the flip side the std Remington rifled slugs performed very well out of the same gun with and without the rifled choke tube installed. The rifled tube did not make a noticable enough impact on performance to warrent it's use with these types of slugs.

Mossberg 500 Persuader star washer removal.

O.K.. first of many probably asked many times before questions. I just bought a GG&G sling swivel bracket and the instructions say to remove the star washer from behind the barrel retention bolt and discard before reassembly of the barrel. Is it safe to do that ? Has anyone else done that ? It does have the holes for the detent "knob" on the barrel nut to lock into, but kinda worried about it loosening up upon heavy firing not to mention warranty issues. Any thoughts ??
Dale

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader star washer removal.

Hello Dale!

I have the GG&G sling mount also, it came with my Specter Gear SOP Sling. I removed mine (my daughters .410 actually) in several secends. Definitely discard cuz the way mine came out its never gonna work again! :lol:

So, the GG&G sling mount is for the 500, a 12 ga. 500. As I mentioned, I put it on my daughters .410. It isnt an exact fit but it hasnt ever loosened and in fact has always been rather tight comin off. She shoots alot of 00 and 000 buck and carried it like that all through bird hunting season this past year.

I think youll like it! ;)

Re: Mossberg 500 Persuader star washer removal.

Thank's.....I was hoping I was "over thinking" it. I mean the one they sold me surely wasn't the first one. One less thing to worry about.
Dale

Cannot find a matching barrel-need help

Long story short, I bought a mossberg 500 from gander mountain (first mistake) last fall. I bought it thinking I would only ever want to shoot slugs. I paired it with the Nikon Slughunter and its just not working out. I found a new slug gun and would love to find a matching barrel, but as a field barrel. The camo pattern is mossy oak break up and I cannot find a field barrel in this pattern for the life of me. I even emailed mossberg direct. Any Suggestions?

Re: Cannot find a matching barrel-need help

Check these out, I believe the 535 barrels will match up. Theyre overbored like the 835 barrels, but there is one that comes with a set of accu-chokes.

2.jpg

That would be a beautiful thing if they matched up, any more to confirm they do? I have been told they do not...

From what I have been able to google; yes, the barrel will fit but you cannot cycle 3.5 inch shells through it.

I believe the magazine tube is a bit longer on the 535 you will will likely have to swap that out as well to get it to mate up properly.

@Rossignol: I didn't think the 535 barrels were overbored. I thought that was the difference between the 535 and the 835?

Ahhh, its entirely possible I'm wrong Mike! Bad bad bad advice! Listen to Mike D!!! :D

The 535 is not overbored. They are also light than the 835 and do not come ported. The 535 is based off of the 500 platform where as the 835 is its own entirely. That being said I don't know if the barrels are interchangeable. I know a way I can find out, but I'm going to bed at the moment, so you'll have to wait until I get back home on Sunday. I'm not going to fire the gun or anything, but I can tell you if the barrel fits in the 500.

Good deal dude! Thanks, I'm curious to know as well!

Re: whats the diffrence?

ended up doing the Mossberg 500 turkey thug because of available models in my area so far so good havnt found any problems with it exept like you said no extendable mag unless you know a good gun smith

Definitely doesn't fit. I'll post a pic in the near future. But the magazine tube one the 500 is longer than the 535. My dads 500 is like 30 years old if that makes any difference.

Strange the 500 magazine is longer...

Buy any blued barrel and have it hydro dipped or buy a DIY kit and do it yourself.

How long of a slide tube to buy?

I have a 12 ga with the solid poly/pinned forestock.

Which length slide tube do I need?

Re: How long of a slide tube to buy?

Typically, the longer of the two. Most (all I've encountered) use the longer action slide tube.

I dont remember the exact length, its like 7" and some change, but tge place to check in with is;

www.havlinsales.com

Good luck and welcome to Mossberg Owners!!!

Re: How long of a slide tube to buy?

Thank you.
I figured it out by pulling off the barrel. It is the 7 3/4 (or whatever) It's definitely not the 6 3/4.

Back