• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: how do you know the correct LOP

I think, generally considered a good place to start, is to measure from your finger tip to the bend in your arm at your elbow. This would be the inside of your forearm, palm up.

That said, if I do that, 14" LOP works, but a 12" LOP feels better.

It's recommended for home defense to use a 12" LOP no matter how big you are. I know a trainer who is 6'5" and that is what is on all of his HD shotguns.

kris7047th said:
It's recommended for home defense to use a 12" LOP no matter how big you are. I know a trainer who is 6'5" and that is what is on all of his HD shotguns.

I like the 12" and there are many here who do. I even have an adjustable stock (ATI Scorpion) on the Winchester I "attempt" to hunt with because I like havin the gun closer, it feels better. The shorter LOP is especially helpful when wearin heavier clothes such as the Carharrt coat I wear.

However, I think comfort is more important and the 12" is just too short to be comfortable for some people. Sometimes with OFM firearms and the location of the safety, the shorter LOP can be an issue just cuz its puts their face too close to their hand. I think I've smacked my nose once, but have learned otherwise to keep my thumb outta the way! :D

Biggest thing, if its your firearm choice for defending family, be comfortable with it and learn the mechanics of whatever configuration you go with.

The quick and easy method that is used to measure for correct LOP is,
Place the buttstock in the crook of your elbow.
Point the gun up in the air and run your arm along side the stock.
See where the trigger sits along side your trigger finger.
First knuckle is close to a perfect fit.

This is not a precise measurement but gets you in the correct ballpark.

To be more precise you need to take into consideration how close your nose is to your trigger hand thumb when the gun is mounted and you have the correct cheek weld to the stock.
These are things that people who shoot clay targets take into consideration when having a stock properly fitted for the clay games.

Most hunters usually do not take all this into consideration.

My Remington 1100 Trap gun fits me perfectly.
My 500's that I hunt with, shoot Skeet and Sporting Clays are close but not perfect.

Rossignol said:
just cuz its puts their face too close to their hand. I think I've smacked my nose once, but have learned otherwise to keep my thumb outta the way! :D
Actually if you watch Champion Trap shooter Nora Ross you will see that her nose does touch the trigger hand thumb. It is a proper mount for Trap. Not so much for Skeet or hunting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mW6wE_R78[/youtube]

Rossignol said:
Biggest thing, if its your firearm choice for defending family, be comfortable with it and learn the mechanics of whatever configuration you go with.
+100 right there.
For HD be as comfortable as possible!

Good video, watched the whole thing!

The Monte Carlo stock has got to be helpful there too I imagine.

good video.she really pushes in on that stock.
thank you all for for the education on LOP.

Re: original mossberg 500 fiber optics

the sight came today LAZY EYED SNIPER so i owe you once more a huge thanks. Not only for the sight but for the stickers too. The sight was not the same with the one i lost but it suits fine. I think it is better than the previous one. I will attempt to post some photos. You are a great person my friend. I told all my friends what you did for me and noone can believe your kindness. I really wish you the best.

Attachments

• DSC_0983.jpg
    DSC_0983.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 379
  • DSC_0984.jpg
    DSC_0984.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 379

OK great!

Good to see the sight fits and will work for you. I sent an extra one just in case. Never hurts to have a spare, especially since you must have the unit imported. A big thank you to the folks at Mossberg customer service for providing the replacement sights free of charge. Glad you like the Mossberg Owner's stickers too. I'm pretty sure that makes you the only member outside of the U.S. that has them. If you find something to stick them on, post up a photo so we can see our logo all the way over in Greece!

I'm glad I could help you out with this. Keep us posted on how she shoots with the new sights and like I said before, if I'm ever in your part of the world we'll definitely have to get together for a beer... :D

REPS for LAZY EYED SNIPER for really going out there and helping a fellow member.
great story.

Re: .410 24"cyl bore barrel w/ FO sights

GunGurl said:
I called Mossberg today to find out if there were any accessory options for my .410 Pistol Grip Cruiser model.. they advised that they do have a 24" VR cylinder bore barrel with front and rear fiber optic sights. They said this is the only other barrel they make for this model.

I'm new to shotguns, but isn't a cylinder bore for close range due to it's lack of rifling? My .410 Cruiser has a 18.5 cyl bore barrel on it now, and I planned on switching to the Bantam buttstock eventually. That being said, would I be able to use the 24" vr barrel with a cyl bore and dual sights for target at the range once I switch my stock out to a real buttstock? What is a 24"vr cyl bore barrels real purpose, especially with rifle style sights? Is this really the only other barrel available for this model?

Lain

hi Lain, thats a nice HD gun. ive been looking for one for awhile. if you ever out grow it or decide to change it out for another mossberg,let me know.
oh yeah,,,,hello neighbor(11729)

Then i guess i represent the mossberg owners forum in Greece. I have to give a lot of thought before i deside where to put the stickers.
The beers are on me. :D
It's the least i can do for you

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
OK great!

Good to see the sight fits and will work for you. I sent an extra one just in case. Never hurts to have a spare, especially since you must have the unit imported. A big thank you to the folks at Mossberg customer service for providing the replacement sights free of charge. Glad you like the Mossberg Owner's stickers too. I'm pretty sure that makes you the only member outside of the U.S. that has them. If you find something to stick them on, post up a photo so we can see our logo all the way over in Greece!

I'm glad I could help you out with this. Keep us posted on how she shoots with the new sights and like I said before, if I'm ever in your part of the world we'll definitely have to get together for a beer... :D

Stories such as this are what I had only hoped for when I created this site 3 years ago. LES; my hats off to you for your great dedication to this community and for being such a stand up guy.

greekpow said:
Then i guess i represent the mossberg owners forum in Greece. I have to give a lot of thought before i deside where to put the stickers.
The beers are on me. :D
It's the least i can do for you

Mossberg Owner's International!

That has a nice ring to it. I'm lookin forward to seeing what you come up with for the stickers. I've got a couple on my safes and range cases. Guess I need to plan a trip to Greece now. I can never pass up the offer of a free beer... :lol:

DHonovich said:
Stories such as this are what I had only hoped for when I created this site 3 years ago. LES; my hats off to you for your great dedication to this community and for being such a stand up guy.

Thanks Dan,

Our hats off to you for providing us with this great forum and a means to make thing like this possible...

Back