• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Ever broke or bent an extension (or mag tube due to extensio

I ditched my 930 SPX as I found the stock mag extension terrible. It had such a lip inside that it wouldn't run right. Yes a Nordic Components extension fixed the problem but you shouldn't have to put another $75 into a $650 gun to make it run right. Bad Mossberg. I still like the 930 and am impressed with its reliability.

But now I'm about turned off on mag extensions. Am I being unreasonable?

What good/bad experiences have you had with extensions on the 930?

Re: Ever broke or bent an extension (or mag tube due to exte

I wouldn't ditch the whole firearm because of the OEM extension. If you had any idea what kind of money I have dumped into my 500, you'd pass out lol... It was 100% reliable and fully functional before hand too! lol (I since then sold my additions but sometimes you may have to fork out a little to gain a little.)

I agree that it should come from the Manufacturer 100% ready to rock and roll but we don't live in a perfect world :p Did you happen to call OF Mossberg about this problem??

call mossberg,they will make good on it,,,,,(800) 363-3555.

you know the old saying,,,,

Attachments

• chit_happens.jpg
    chit_happens.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 118

This was awhile back. I made out OK on the gun 930 SPX was about impossible to find when I sold it.

Mossberg has slow but good customer service.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out what to do moving forward. Just go with a 4+1 or deal with the extensions again.

It sounds like the only extension that you had an issue with was the stock choate one. There seems to be a pretty good history of people having issues with the choate, even when bought after market and added to a 5 shot. I also read alot of info that seemed to indicate that the majority of the issues that occurred were more prevalent on the SPX models. Based on a lot of reading I purchased a 5 shot tactical and added on to it with parts that I knew were 100% solid. Now for less then I would have paid for a stock SPX I have a gun that is IMHO more capable and I would trust my life and my families lives with it. I have the Nordic +2M extension which will actually increase capacity by 3 shells so you end up with 7+1 just like the SPX. Never once have I had an issue with feeding. Hope this helps!

So, do you have the SPX still or did you sell it?? lol I am confused now :|

I would say if you still have it or are getting another one, mess around with the extensions. The gun is a great gun, just may need a little tinkering! (I think that is the fun part!!! lol)

Ha, no I sold it. Made out well on it as they were hard to find at the time. I tend to ditch guns if they arent reliable and it wasn't due to that extension
With just loading 5 shells was 100% reliable. I did replace the extension with a Nordic but I was so turned off I sold it and didn't try it with that. Hasty perhaps. I'm thinking about going to, the 4+1 home security model with no extension.

Ah! I see... I used to sell and buy guns all the time lol Kinds of still want too but the 500 is staying for sure and my dads .45 is going to stay so I need to buy another if I want to continue bartering and trading :p

Best of luck in the future!

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Magazine Extensions

I'm not trying to start an argument here, just sharing opinions, O.K. ?

I know that some folk's moan about the Choate +3 mag extension.

Mine has not been a problem so far. (crossed fingers)

Some guys believe they've GOT to have something like a Nordic clamp to keep the magazine
extension (whatever brand) aligned to the barrel.

I'm not sure that I understand that. The magazine extension (whatever brand) is either aligned with the barrel, or crooked. I don't see how a Nordic Clamp will fix that.

I like to keep my guns clean. One of the good things that I like about the Mossberg 930 is that I can break it down to clean it without having to use tools. Yeah, I've got plenty of Allen wrenches, etc., but being able to break it down for cleaning, without tools, is a plus for me.

If I've got to go to the shop to get the Allen wrenches, to take the gadgets off of the barrel, then I "know" that it won't get cleaned as often as it should. O.K., not a good argument. I can just keep the correct sized Allen wrenches in my cleaning kit.

But what about the clamps creeping forward on recoil, scratching the barrel and magazine extension?

If barrel/magazine clamps are really needed, I accept that. But someone please tell me WHY they are needed. I just haven't seen a need.

Thanks,

Duane

I use the Nordic +2 under my 18.5" barrel with no clamp and it runs just fine.

Don't see that a clamp is a necessity until you get into adding an extra foot of tube like the +8 extensions, etc. I can see how adding the weight of all those extra shells would put a lot of stress on the threads...

Yeah, I can see how a +8 extension might change the situation.

'course that wouldn't work well with an 18.5" barrel...

Thanks,

Duane

Poopypants said:
btw, is there anybody here that's upgraded to a magazine extension that would want to sell me their standard magazine cap and spring?

I want to be able to easily reduce my capacity for hog hunting(5 rounds) instead of having to shove a wood dowel in there and possibly jacking up my spring... plus I don't need the long extension tube hanging off the end to get bent if I drop it climbing a hillside... don't want a barrel clamp marring up my new slug barrel either just to hold on an inoperable ext tube...

sooo. who wants to make a couple bucks on parts sitting in your closet/Mossberg box/corner ;)
eh......eh? anyone?

Duane said:

Some guys believe they've GOT to have something like a Nordic clamp to keep the magazine

I'm not sure that I understand that. The magazine extension (whatever brand) is either aligned with the barrel, or crooked. I don't see how a Nordic Clamp will fix that.

I like to keep my guns clean. One of the good things that I like about the Mossberg 930 is that I can break it down to clean it without having to use tools. Yeah, I've got plenty of Allen wrenches, etc., but being able to break it down for cleaning, without tools, is a plus for me.

If I've got to go to the shop to get the Allen wrenches, to take the gadgets off of the barrel, then I "know" that it won't get cleaned as often as it should. O.K., not a good argument. I can just keep the correct sized Allen wrenches in my cleaning kit.

But what about the clamps creeping forward on recoil, scratching the barrel and magazine extension?

If barrel/magazine clamps are really needed, I accept that. But someone please tell me WHY they are needed. I just haven't seen a need.

Thanks,

Duane

I can see what you're getting at. My JM is 10+1 so the extension is long. I leave the clamp on since it seems to be me that it provides added support for the extra weight. Yes, under heavy use it can move. I believe a small piece of tape on the tube would keep that from happening.

But one reason I would keep it on is to keep the tube from getting knocked off or bent if I were to run it into something solid, like a wall, tree, fence, etc. In 3 gun you're generally moving a lot, sometimes around obstacles. Same is if your in the trees or home defense. It would definitely suck to smack into something only to hear your rounds hit the floor or the tube jam up when you need it most.

One added benefit is it helps keep the tube tight to the magazine...

OhioArcher said:
Duane said:

Thanks,

Duane

I can see what you're getting at. My JM is 10+1 so the extension is long. I leave the clamp on since it seems to be me that it provides added support for the extra weight. Yes, under heavy use it can move. I believe a small piece of tape on the tube would keep that from happening.

But one reason I would keep it on is to keep the tube from getting knocked off or bent if I were to run it into something solid, like a wall, tree, fence, etc. In 3 gun you're generally moving a lot, sometimes around obstacles. Same is if your in the trees or home defense. It would definitely suck to smack into something only to hear your rounds hit the floor or the tube jam up when you need it most.

One added benefit is it helps keep the tube tight to the magazine...

That makes sense. Your extended magazine is about twice as long as mine. :lol:

(some shotguns are just better endowed than others) :lol:

Thanks,

Duane

Does anyone know when Nordic will be getting more extensions? Midway says back ordered until 7/4

dsimonl said:
Does anyone know when Nordic will be getting more extensions? Midway says back ordered until 7/4
go to their website (Nordic components) and email them directly. I'm pretty sure the part you want is special order anyways, it's called a +2m... actually gives you +3 to total capacity and is flush with an 18.5 inch barrel.

Back