• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Recoil: Remington Versa Max vs. Mossberg 930

DHonovich said:
I have the Mossberg 930, Remington VersaMax and 11-87, Winchester SX3, Browning Maxus all in my house and recoil is very similar in all of the autoloaders especially if you add a limbsaver to any of those listed above.

D, do you mean to say that all of the auto-loaders you mention above have the same amount of recoil? Bummer!

Even with a great deal on the 930 (<$500 brand new with a mag extension) it just beat me up too badly to keep it.

There are variations with each but there isn't one that is noticeable different than the next (especially if you install limbsavers on them).

BTW what rounds were you shooting through the 930?

DHonovich said:
BTW what rounds were you shooting through the 930?

Everything from 00 buck to #8 shot to rifled slugs. Mostly 2-3/4 with an occasional masochistic foray into 3" 00.

I'll second the Limbsaver idea.

When they advertise a 70% reduction in recoil, I think they're being modest...

i''l third that! i just put one on my 500A. can shoot all day no problem.

old mossy said:

So... you're saying that even with the reasonably absorbent butt pad on the 930, replacing it with a Limbsaver would reduce felt recoil by more than 50%??

Respectfully, that's just hard to believe. The Knoxx Gen II stock on my Mossberg pump, which travels almost an inch against springs, may reduce felt recoil by 30-40% and it comes with a Limbsaver!

I know the difference between the stock 930 recoil pad and the Limbsaver is very noticeable. It was already much less than the 500 (I know, apples vs oranges) before installing the Limbsaver. And I'm shooting with a bad left shoulder (backyard football game in the '70's). What percentage less I can't say...but it is significant.

DrDyno said:
old mossy said:

So... you're saying that even with the reasonably absorbent butt pad on the 930, replacing it with a Limbsaver would reduce felt recoil by more than 50%??

Respectfully, that's just hard to believe. The Knoxx Gen II stock on my Mossberg pump, which travels almost an inch against springs, may reduce felt recoil by 30-40% and it comes with a Limbsaver!
believe it or not.
i don't know about the 930,but i can tell you on the 500A i feel next to nothing in my shoulder after installing the limbsaver. (plus i'm on blood thinners for the heart which make me bruise at the drop of a hat. no bruising.) i know it works. :D

Good afternoon, Dr. Dyno,

I've had a chance to shoot a Benelli M4 that a friend of mine had, and I currently have a new 930SPX that I shot for the first time last weekend. The Versa Max gas system is a near identical copy of the Benelli M4 system. I found the M4, in my opinion, to be the softest shooting shotgun I've shot, but my experience is limited. My 930SPX recoil feels almost the same as my 1100 3-gun shotgun. If I had to rate them, I'd put them in this order, but recoil is so subjective, take it with a grain of salt. As others have mentioned, the proper stock fit sure seems to help.

Listed from worst recoil to mildest recoil with full power slugs:

Iver Johnson 12 GA single shot (very painful...shot with a slug only once and never again.)
Benelli M2 Tactical 18 1/2" barrel (light weight contributes to the heavy recoil on this one for me)
(Have a Super 90 Benelli also, but it's nearly identical to M2 in all respects handling wise)
Remington 870 / Mossberg 590 20" barrels
Mossberg 930 SPX 18.0" barrel
Remington 1100, 20" barrel
Benelli M4

Just my thoughts based upon my recoil tolerance. I put 108 rounds of full power 00 buck through my Benelli M2 last month and I was very uncomfortable after 50, and by 108 was in pain. I mention only to give you a feel for how little/how much recoil it takes to make me want to stop. I like to use a PAST shield and boy does it tame the Benelli.

All my best,
Rob

Thank you, gentlemen!

I guess whatever I finally decide to do about a semi-auto 12 gauge a Limbsaver would be my first modification. I was hoping that one of them would clearly start with the least amount of recoil to tame. From your collective experience, it doesn't seem to matter which one I start with.

I don't hunt and I'm not a competitive shooter so, for me, any 12 gauge would be for either shredding paper at our local range or as a defensive weapon when the SHTF. For the former, a pump is good enough. However, for the latter, I can't help but think a reliable semi-auto is the best way to go. And, if the recoil is basically the same, my next question is:

TUBULAR MAGAZINE OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE ...?

^^ The obvious advantage of detachable is the ability to quickly reload. The disadvantage is that it can get in the way, especially if it's a large magazine such as a drum mag. Drum mags also add considerable weight. Thinking about it logically, when ( or why ) would you need more than the 7 or 8 shells carried in a typical tube mag for HD? After the first 3 or 4, either you or the bad guy will be dead.

The calculus is different for LEO or Military of course.

Interesting that you found the 930 recoil to be on the rough side. I recently attended a defensive SG class and put 250 rounds #8 bird along with a couple dozen 00 and slugs through the gun during the course of an 8 hour day with no complaints from my shoulder at all. Of course first lesson of the day was the "push pull" hold.

Now, if you want to talk recoil, try a carbine length Mosin Nagant with the stock steel butt plate. 10 rounds and I'm black & blue. Testament to the LimbSaver though, popped one on the MN and I can shoot it without dislocating my shoulder.

GunnyGene said:
...Thinking about it logically, when ( or why ) would you need more than the 7 or 8 shells carried in a typical tube mag for HD?

Lots of Zombies here in west central Florida, Gene!

thughes said:
...Now, if you want to talk recoil, try a carbine length Mosin Nagant with the stock steel butt plate. 10 rounds and I'm black & blue.

Interestingly, T, I read that identical response in another thread about recoil!

DrDyno said:
I don't hunt and I'm not a competitive shooter so, for me, any 12 gauge would be for either shredding paper at our local range or as a defensive weapon when the SHTF. For the former, a pump is good enough. However, for the latter, I can't help but think a reliable semi-auto is the best way to go.

One thing to consider in a SHTF scenario...you aren't going to worry about recoil. Adrenalin will ensure you never even know the gun was fired. And you will be focused on what you are trying to disable not how bad the firearm is recoiling...just a thought.

OhioArcher said:
One thing to consider in a SHTF scenario...you aren't going to worry about recoil. Adrenalin will ensure you never even know the was fired. And you will be focused on what you are trying to disable not how bad the firearm is recoiling...just a thought.

Sound thinking, no doubt. Is that you firing the cannon in your Avatar?

Maybe a silly question, but is your 930 a standard rifle stock or a PG stock?
I believe the PGs are all made by Choate, and have less padding that the traditional stocks.

Either way, try a limbsaver. My 930 is the lightest recoiling shotty I've fired at this point, from bird to buck and slugs.

rtp said:
Maybe a silly question, but is your 930 a standard rifle stock or a PG stock?
I believe the PGs are all made by Choate, and have less padding that the traditional stocks.

Either way, try a limbsaver. My 930 is the lightest recoiling shotty I've fired at this point, from bird to buck and slugs.

It was a traditional stock. I had thought about the Choate stock with the addition of a Limbsaver and maybe some shock absorbent spacers. Decided not to put any more money into it and sold it.

Back