• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Recoil: Remington Versa Max vs. Mossberg 930

DrDyno said:
Sound thinking, no doubt. Is that you firing the cannon in your Avatar?

No. I wish it was. Worked on them and got to fly on them a couple times, even got to use the sensors but pushing the button was a no-no...besides, it took two people to validate the target and press the fire consent buttons.

OhioArcher said:
DrDyno said:

No. I wish it was. Worked on them and got to fly on them a couple times, even got to use the sensors but pushing the button was a no-no...besides, it took two people to validate the target and press the fire consent buttons.

Well, in another life, I used to watch "Dragon Ships" rain tracers down on Charlie, outside our base camp. They were Awesome!!

DrDyno said:
OhioArcher said:
DrDyno said:

Well, in another life, I used to watch "Dragon Ships" rain tracers down on Charlie, outside our base camp. They were Awesome!!

They saved (and took) a lot of lives. All based on an old mail delivery system...mail bag hung from a rope while the plane circles overhead...very, very effective.

Thank you for your service, DrDyno.

Yeah. For it should be that those who decide to go to war be at the forefront of the spear.

Attachments

• TY flag.jpg
    TY flag.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 171

I'm late to the game and I have nothing to add other than probably a +5 on the limbsaver pad install.

I'm 5'4" 160lbs and I run the 930 for skeet with the stock pad with the traditional stock. did 4 games (100 rounds) of bird and I barely feel the kick.

oddly enough I tried a Mossberg O/U for 10 rounds and it kicked like a mule.

Got my 930 SPX this afternoon....

Was too late to shoot it... so I will go out tomorrow AM and christen it. Range report to follow.

Re: Got my 930 SPX this afternoon....

Congratulations!

Looking forward to your update after you've had an opportunity to send a few down range...

,,,,congrats on your new Mossy. :)

OK, here is a first take. Took it to the range for a brief visit yesterday. Ran 5 different loads through it, with only one FTF @ round #8. The next 60 or so ran flawlessly.

We ran:

Federal Low Recoil Slugs (2" grp at 100 yards!!! WOW!)
Winchester game and target load (Bulk pack from Gander)
Rio Target loads
Rio Royal Buck
Generic Remington Wally World Bulk pack #7's

And actually, I ~didn't~ clean it. The gun came in spotless. On the dry side in IMHO. I carried cleaning supplies to the range, just to be sure, but I didn't need them. I feel like if I had sprayed a little break-free in it before I began, I wouldn't have had the single FTF we encountered. I am going back today with my daughter. She came to visit and wants to break in her new Glock and play with the new Mossy!

Very nice!

I love shoot'n slugs at 100yd. Always get some sideways looks from folks down the line until the steel starts ringing. Good to see you were able to run through the bulk target stuff without any hiccups. Some guns just don't like to eat that stuff...

Someone sell me... (Yeah, I'm sold)

So I'll be comin around on some $$$ and wanna get another Mossy for birds and waterfowl... I took a couple of shots at a ptarmigan last week from 25 yards with no dead bird... guess the 18.5" barrel on my Topper 88 break open just didn't do it (it's also my fault for not patterning it for different loads)...and the 590A1 with heatshild really is best for HD duty.

Anyways... I was just going to pick up a plane Jane 500 field/security combo... sell off the security barrel.. and have lots left over for "other stuff" :D But then I got to thinking... what about an autoloader 12ga... the 930 :!: Is it worth the money to have a 930? Obviously there are some advantages to a semi-auto shotgun as far as follow up shots on birds go.. but I'm pretty quick on the pump as well. What about reliability of the 930... looking through the threads I guess she's not without a few "fixable" issues. I can't decide... Sell me :D

Re: Someone sell me...

I've hunted primarily with a pump (870) for most of my life, it's second nature. That said, I also love my 930.

Honestly I do not see an advantage one way or another. If you are efficient with a pump you will get shots off almost as fast as with a semi, it all comes down to personal preference. Maybe it's because it's what I used to so many years but I am still more comfortable in the field with a pump.

A pump has NEVER failed me. I have been left hanging with an 11-87 and also with my 930 (my own fault, but still worth noting)

(If you do decide on the 500 combo I'll be more than happy to buy the other barrel from you ;-D)

I know it sounds like I'm pushing you towards the 500 but I'm not, it's purely personal preference IMHO; there is no right answer

I prefer an auto especially for duck and dove. Although I still break out my Ruger Red label and 835 from time to time. If you can find a good deal on a 930, go for it. I just bought a 935 that Althea guy used on 1 turkey hunt and its been a safe queen ever since. He wanted it out of his safe so bad, I picke it up for $150. Not a single scratch on it. I also bought a mossberg 5500 MK II off of gun broker a few years back for $155 shipped with two barrels. Steals are out there. Just gotta be patience.

I have always hunted birds with an auto. I don't know why, probably because all my hunting mates were using one and I had one. I first used a Franchi 12 ga auto that was my grandfathers. It was light and was a natural point for me. It never failed. I should have never let it go.

Presently, I have a 12 ga Beretta A290. It is a great gun. It has never had a problem either.

If you have never tried an auto, find a friend with one and try it. It all comes down to your personal preference. I find an auto for birds keeps me on target better for a second or third shot. That is my personal preference. You will have to see what works best for you. If you don't have an auto, you might want to try one. As stated above, if you find one that is a good deal, give it a try.

Good luck.

Blood_Trail said:
Just gotta be patience.

Patience is something I'm low on these days ;) :lol:

I just recently shot a Remington Versa Max (my first autoloading shotty experience) ... but that was just at clays. Talking recoil and action wise, it reminded me of shooting the Garand in shotgun form. I mean from a totally practical standpoint... I don't really "need" the 930 for hunting needs. I'm not a hardcore bird hunter and really just started (we'll see how I like it though :D ) so a 500 would suite me just fine.

It's more of the allure to having an autoloading shotgun... and something different from Mossberg that's not in my collection yet :lol: But of course the price point is the biggest deterrent... new I'm finding 930 Waterfowl models at around $500... I can get the 500 combo for $350, sell the barrel get a few things for my 10/22 I've been wanting, maybe even a cerakote job for the 1911, and still have $$ left over!

Anyone want to send me their 930 to try for a few weeks ;)

,,,,,give those birds a chance,,,,,try a double barrel. as fast if not faster than a 930. :)

Back