• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Bit by the scratched magazine tube problem

mb1911 said:
Poopypants said:
then just smooth out(sand down) and polish up the mag tube yourself, this is honestly going to get you a much better permanent end result.

Ugh, that sounds like a flaw. Mossberg should have taken care of such problems in the design.

So if you polish up the mag, won't you get rid of the blueing? What do you do, then, to protect the bare metal?
clean and oil it.

Also you can get blueing chemicals from midway for touch-ups, not too expensive.

This has been constant problem with the springs on the 930 through well over a year now, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna change and they just treat it as an alignment issue and never deburr them, only way to fix it is take matters into your own hands....

You can hit up Mossberg too n see if you can talk them into sending you a new mag tube (after testing fit of your grinding work on the old tube) without sending in the whole gun... I know it's been done for others, but not something I'm willing to hassle with, mine works fine as is and its a completely concealed part so doesn't effect cosmetics.

930 SPX Tactical Cycling Issues

Well, I finally bought a Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical shotgun and took it for a test run today.

It cycled flawlessly with slugs and #4 birdshot. Unfortunately, it did not do so well with #7.5 birdshot and 00 Buck Tactical (Federal 8-pellet Low Recoil and Winchester Law Enforcement Buckshot).

Granted, I have shot a total of about 35 rounds through it. What is the expected number of rounds before I should expect this gun to run flawlessly with those rounds? Or should I go ahead and call Mossberg Customer Support now?

TIA.

Re: 930 SPX Tactical Cycling Issues

It's not your shotgun, it's the ammo.

You'll experience issues with ANY load rated for muzzle velocities under 1200fps. The 930 gas system just doesn't do well with most low-recoil ammunition. Keep your muzzle velocity above 1200fps and you should be good to go...

Re: bolt locked back as if empty with rounds in the tube

Greetings,

Mag spring length, can play a BIG part in any shotgun. I found my sweet spot at 14 3/4" from the end of the tube. This allows me to load 9 in the tube, 1 ghost and 1 in the tube.

Note: all shells are not created equal... they are different lengths between shot size and brand names.
So measure with the shell you shoot the most.

First is disassemble and polish the follower, and the tube, run the spring thru a buffing pad and oil everything with a light oil... reassemble and measure then trim until it will function correctly.

Remember, 930's like it wet... a little lube will go a long ways toward correcting malfunctions...

hagatha

Greetings,

Congrats on a fine gun... First of all the gun needs disassembled and cleaned really good, I flushed a ton of crap from my gun after I bought it NIB. Secondly the 930 likes it wet... a little lube will go a long way... and lastly, the gun will run better after a few hundred rounds...

hagatha

FYI, I bought a 930 with breacher from Wally World back in December 2012 and had problems cycling the cheap bird shot through it. I tried the break in with high brass and still no luck. So I called Mossberg CS and they sent me an email with shipping label to send back to them. Got the gun back in two weeks with new spring and my 930 cycles everything i put in it including low recoil shells. CS was great and gun performs flawlessly now. I believe the part they used was M930 pressure spring (blue). Part number 16949. I suggest giving them a call if you have any issues.

that's good to hear about mossberg cs. glad they took care of you.
thanks for sharing the GOOD news. :D

930 common issues and fixes

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1583 ... be-Problem

Feeding from the tube issues

For light primer strikes install an extra power ruger 10/22 hammer spring in place of the stock hammer spring

Lightly polish the piston housing with a medium grit cratex tip on a dremel for smoother piston movement

Mag tube scratches - take a dremel to the main piston spring ends.

Polish the chamber with medium grit cratex (as far as you can reach but at least as deep as the brass goes.

Polish up the extractor groove with medium grit cratex and if your ambitious polish up the extractor and plunger with medium cratex.

If you are having issues with loading or feeding with an extension the bevel the edges where they meet.

I thought there was one more thing but I can't recall right now. I sold my 930 and bought a benelli m2. I spent a lot of time researching common 930 reliability issues because I wanted to have a 100% reliable running gun but in the end I wasn't comfortable with the complaints I was hearing and I didn't want to end up with a lemon down the road that I wouldn't be comfortable to keep or sell. So I sold it before even getting through break in. I'm extremely happy with the m2 and would like another 930 one day. I wanted to share a compilation of common problems and solutions to help people. I think if someone were to perform everything I listed above I believe the gun would be as reliable as a gas piston operated gun can be (its just that its not the most reliable operating system available ( that's where benellis inertia and argo gas system come into play). Still love my 500's and plan to buy the maverick hunter o/u soon too.

Re: 930 common issues and fixes

Also the action likes to run a little wet but the piston likes the lightest possible amount of lube. Too much makes it foul faster. Clean the piston every 250-300 rounds and that means remove the rings. If the rings get too dirty the bolt will tend to not go fully into battery.

Hmm. I think I will give CS a call if it still has issues once I clean it and have shot more rounds through it.

Thanks for the responses.

I managed to run 23 out of 25 shells from a box of Federal Game Loads today. It seems to be cycling much better now. I plan on continuing with the break-in until it either gets better or I give up on it (at which point I plan on calling CS).

Re: New 930 SPX - scratched up right out of the box

Good morning, all,

I owe you all an update on my Mossberg 930 SPX. I apologize for the delay. I've been very busy at work, and although I got a replacement shotgun back from Mossberg a couple weeks ago, I'm just now catching up!

Thanks to L.E.S. and the other folks here on the forum, and the help you all gave me in contacting the right folks at Mossberg! They ended up sending me a new shotgun, and the turnaround was only a week or two including shipping.
I finally had some free time this weekend, so I cleaned and lubed the replacement 930 SPX and took it out and shot it yesterday. I shot about 100 rnds of everything from max load slugs and buckshot, to reduced recoil LE slugs and buckshot. Not one hiccup...it shot everything and it shot to point of aim at 50 yds with slugs. In fact, shooting Federal (PB127DPRS) True Ball Deep Penetrator slugs, a three shot group resulted in all shots nearly touching and in the center of the black.
I'm very happy with the gun, the customer service from Mossberg, and all the help from folks here.

I'm looking forward to shooting it a lot more in the upcoming weeks!!

Thanks again to all!!

Warmest regards,
Rob

that's great to hear Rob. sounds like mossberg CS is getting it together. :D
you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Glad to hear they made it right for you!!

Hi again, all!

Yes, Mr. Zakher of Mossberg was prompt, courteous, and concerned. I am very, very pleased with the customer service and the way I was treated. He was a true gentleman, and the results are very positive.

Warmest regards,
Rob

Outstanding!

Glad to see you're back in business and pleased with the process. It's always nice to read some good news...

Over tightened 930 Stock nut

:oops: I just bought the 930 today as well as a Choate pistol grip stock. Got it home, undid the stock and put my new tac one on. There was still play and not even thinking, kept tightening the nut until I realized `Hey, it comes with spacers for a reason`, well long story short, I took the tube out of the frame and feed it through the stock with the spacers and tightened it so it didn't seem loose. Couple questions: 1.) real tight stock nut wont mess anything up right? Seems like it cocks and releases right, there is a bit of a gap if don't let it slam, normal? What is the best way to remove the nut? Thank you all for the help!

Had to grind down spring end in barrel. 930 Home Security

I recently rescued my 930 from the consignment rack at my LGS.

Decided to try and stick with it. Well I noticed my barrel was very hard to slide on. End of spring in barrel was rough and protruding (barrel portion that holds piston).

Instead of taking the spring out which looked like a chore, I went after it lightly with my dremel. I got the end smoothed out, scuffed up slightly the spring near that portion. Any concern of this now breaking or rusting?

Thing drives me nuts. If I put much more money into this ill be in Benelli range.

930SPX short lived euphoria - more trouble

Good afternoon, all,

Just wanted to report the latest. As mentioned in my post about the scratched new gun, Mossberg CS was fantastic and very helpful. (In no small part due to the assistance in getting hold of the right folks thanks to the members and moderators here...thanks again, guys!)

After the lights-out way my new 930SPX shot last weekend, I was pretty pleased. However, upon disassembly this last weekend, the large captivated gas system spring left a deep scratch in the magazine tube. Thanks to this site again, I was aware this could be a problem, so when I had first received the gun and cleaned the shipping grease/oil off, I checked this area specifically for difficulties, and didn't find anything amiss. However, this last weekend, the barrel came off rather difficult due to the spring, and try as I might I couldn't prevent a sizable scratch. I've reached out to Mossberg again, but the gentleman who helped me is out this week, so I'll have to report back later on the results. I'm confident they'll help, they've been great, but it's still so frustrating.

I shouldn't gripe, though. At least they were willing to help last time and deserve a chance to make it right...hopefully this pattern won't continue.

Just thought I'd send an update for those who might be interested.

Warmest regards,
Rob

Back