• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: 930SPX short lived euphoria - more trouble

Have you used a socket to try to position the 'big spring' better, or checked it for any burrs that can be whittled down?

Re: 930SPX short lived euphoria - more trouble

Good morning, rtp,

I didn't use the socket when I re-assembled after taking it apart to clean it when it was new because there was clearance all the way around and the spring didn't contact the magazine tube coming off or going on. I did check the spring's end and didn't find a burr or anything to alarm me as to this problem. I had intended to dress down any sharp edges, but running my finger over it didn't lead me to believe there was anything that would have caused this to happen.

Is there a way to "align" the spring before the barrel is removed? It looked like the clearance was too tight between the mag tube and the gas assy when assembled to try an put anything in to align it before removing the barrel.

Thanks again for your input and feedback! I appreciate it.

Warmest regards,
Rob

930 JM Pro mystery part in piston

This ring was jammed forward of my piston and caused the gun not to cycle. It is a split steel ring about 1/16" in thickness. I called Mossberg and I have a distinct feeling the guy had no clue what I was talking about and is sending me the wrong part. He said it was a seal ring at a cost of $21.95. The manual does not show where this came from. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 930 ring.jpg
    930 ring.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 288
Re: 930 JM Pro mystery part in piston

Looks like the smaller of the two rings on the piston. Look at your piston and remove the rings. There should be two of them.

Re: 930 JM Pro mystery part in piston

I spoke to Mossberg customer service and was told there is a newly designed piston / gass ring assembly now being used in the 930's and is available for purchase for $35.00.

Last weekend I took my 930 SPX out, loaded it with Federal slugs. The first 2 fired and then the third I felt the hammer strike and the gun didnt fire. I cleared the gun put another in the chamber same thing, I opened the action half way and re-chambered and the gun fired. Now that is the only way the gun will fire.

I have put about 150 rounds of slugs and buck shoot thru the gun prior to this outing and have cleaned it when it came out of the box and between each outing.

I have e-mailed Mossberg, and waiting for a reply.
Has anyone had any similar issues?

Shooter46 said:
I have e-mailed Mossberg, and waiting for a reply.
Has anyone had any similar issues?

I would call them directly, CS gets flooded with email and it could take them a long time to respond if it doesn't get overlooked, forwarded to the wrong person, accidently deleted, etc.. Calling is always better than emailing for stuff like this

I've not heard of this problem, it's a new one on me.

930 Turkey loose forgrip

I bought a 930 turkey last year and am very happy withit.
It cycles even the cheapest target rounds and anything else I feed it.

The only thing I don't like is that foregrip is mostly unsupported
where it meets the reciever. It flexes an makes noise. Does anyone know of a solution? I would like to make it solid.

Thanks

Struckat

Re: 930 Turkey loose forgrip

Welcome aboard!

Sorry but I have to ask, is the mag tube cap tightened down all the way?

Yes indeed it is. Maybe loose is not the right word, but flexy when you hold it halfway or more towards the receiver. With my short arm that's where I end up.

I have been trying to figure a fix but thought I would ask here before start any mods.
Considering drilling hole in the bottom very back edge for a screw to hold a stiff piece of rubber tween it and the receiver. Keeping in mind that it cannot interfere with the gas action black slide gig that is under there at the front of the reciever.

I wedged a stick in there while trying not to fall asleep in my blind, and that firmed it up, but was only a test and not a functional solution.....but it's bagged 60 + lbs of bird in the last two season.

Looks like there have been a few other posts with this issue. The easiest fix so far has been shoring it up with a o-ring between the forend and mag cap. This should secure the forend further back and keep it from creeping. We're glad you found us and it's good to have you on board. Post up some pics of that bird slayer when you get a chance...

I'll shoot some picts tomorrow after work. I searched but didn't find any topics that were similar. What key words did you use?

My son and I are new turkey hunters with only two seasons under our belts, but I hav been very fortunate so far. 3 shots, 3 birds. Really torques the kid when I refer to the 930 as the "Meatstick."

Nice!

You gotta give 'em a little ribbing now and then. Keeps 'em sharp! I just ran a search for 930 forend and combed through the results...

930SPX Capacity Questions

Hey guy's so I got my 930 SPX out to clean it, still have yet to fire it, I couldn't quite remember how many it held, so I loaded it up with 12ga dummy rounds, I found it only held 4, plus one in the Chamber. I dug out the box and it clearly says 7+1, I took the end off of the magazine tube and there's nothing in there preventing it from being loaded up, I know some older shotguns had a dowel in the tubular magazine to prevent you from loading more than 3 or 4 shells. So I'm sorry for the "nooby" question, but to get it to hold the full 7+1 do I just need to replace the spring? the tube extends all for the full length of the barrel so it should be able to hold 7..

Re: 930SPX Capacity Questions

How long are your dummy rounds?

They may be a bit longer than live ammo. The capacity also will vary greatly with different brands of shells. Keep in mind that the 2-3/4" and 3" measurement is taken from an extended hull before the shells are rolled and crimped. There have been some issues with springs being a bit too long which prevent loading to full capacity, but this can be remedied by simply trimming the spring rather than replacing it. We have also seen instances where there is a gap inside the tube between the end of the tube and the extension that causes a hang-up and prevents loading to full capacity...

Re: 930SPX Capacity Questions

Well, that's one variable down.

The spring would be the next easiest to rule out. Check out this thread to get an idea of the spring lengths that are working for others...

930 Magazine Spring Survey

I had picked up my 930 SPX a few weeks ago and promptly cleaned it. And has similar issues with people not being able to insert 7 rounds into the magazine tube.

So I replaced the spring with a Wolff 590/500 spring and also replaced the stock follower with a Dave's Metal works magazine follower.

I can now feed 7 rounds of ammo into the tube.

I did not trim the spring even though it said you could on the packaging.

Sadly. 20 plus shipping to fix a new shotgun. :(

Typo. Correct above "NOW" vs "NOT" sorry guys

Signal9 said:
I had picked up my 930 SPX a few weeks ago and promptly cleaned it. And has similar issues with people not being able to insert 7 rounds into the magazine tube.

So I replaced the spring with a Wolff 590/500 spring and also replaced the stock follower with a Dave's Metal works magazine follower.

I can not feed 7 rounds of ammo into the tube.

I did not trim the spring even though it said you could on the packaging.

Sadly. 20 plus shipping to fix a new shotgun. :(

What is the length of the rounds you are using? Could you get six but not seven? Some rounds are a bit longer than others resulting in not being about to load the last one. It has been discussed around here quite a bit.

Back