• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Mossberg 930 function issues!

Thanks BC I appreciate everyones feedback. I haven't done the piston rings yet I'll check that out. Any worries or issues for that function?

Have you tried with the stock magazine extension?

I had those issues prior to cleaning it but it seems you cleaned it out pretty good. Did you take the trigger housing out and clean that too?

Clean those gas pistons and lube up well before shooting. Helps the 930 likes to run a little wet (but not dripping)

Re: 930SPX Capacity Questions

Just changed the magazine spring and follower on my 930 SPX. I installed the Nordic EXT-SPRING-12-45 ($7.95) with their Red Hard Coat follower ($18.95). Ordered online Thursday and kit arrived Saturday!
The factory follower was less than great, and the magazine spring had deformed when it escaped the tube when I broke the gun down for initial cleaning.
A lot has been written about spring length on this and other boards. I get the theory about having the spring as long as possible, yet not being so long that it won't compress enough to allow all Seven 2 3/4" shells to load.
The prevailing word is to cut the spring about a foot to sixteen-inches longer than the end of the installed magazine extension. This is only the first of several cuts to the spring length.
The new Red Nordic follower was as slick in the tube as a greased piston, and the new spring was fed into the tube and secured with the extension with a snug fit.
Next, following the manufacturer's instructions, load the seven shells into the magazine tube. Likely you won't be able to get the last shell to fit. The spring is just too long. Unload the shells, and remove the extension and spring again. Cut 3-coils off and re-assemble. Try the seven shells again. Can you get all seven shells loaded ? If not, repeat the spring trim,
cutting 3-coils at a time until you can get all seven shells to load past the shell stop, plus about an 1/8 to 1/4-inch further compressable travel.
I used needle-nose pliers to cut the spring, and curl the trimmed ends inward slightly. Make sense?
The now shortened Nordic magazine spring is much shorter than the factory spring and is much easier to install.
Now waiting for the GG&G HK-style rear sling mount and a Specter 1-2 point sling to arrive.This just never ends!

Agreed! Go back to stock mag tube/spring setup first. If it runs that way then there may be mag spring issues causing the mechanism to bind (the Nordic spring was trimmed?). There is a longer than expected break in period for 930s anyway. There are many posts on this site to tweak various parts, really minor mechanical.

Mine, a 930T, didn't smooth out until nearly 200 rds of various ammo types. Treat the shotgun with authority when hand cycling the bolt or shell release button. Light cycling can induce a malfunction.

Re: Odd 930 problem with 3" buckshot

It will not load any shell after a 3" Express buckshot, it throws the hulls probably 20' but will not release another onto the lifter from the magazine tube. The only way I can get it to keep firing is to load a 3" Express buckshot in the chamber and ghost load any other shell on the lifter.

Jm pro feed issue

Hi new here and just picked up a jm pro. I'm having issues when loading the mag full with the chamber empty bolt down. While racking the Bolt back by hand to load one in the chamber nothing would happen shell would not come out of the mag tube. I removed the shell stop and polished the end hoping this would fix the issue but it still intermittently does this. Some times it will load and some times it wont, I've also noticed a few time where the bolt will lock back as if the mag was empty but it's not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Re: Jm pro feed issue

Howdy Cruiser.

The action can be tricky when cycling by hand, especially when new. Do you experience these issues during live fire?

Howsit sniper no it seems to functions fine when the chamber is loaded and the mag is full. I've only had maybe 100 rounds through the gun so far. The issue happens when trying to cycle the bolt by hand on an empty chamber with the mag full.

During fire, the action is pushed back with considerable force.

Try pulling the charging handle back like you're mad at it and see if that helps. Mine had a tendency to double feed when trying to load the first round from the tube. I started locking the action back, dropping the first round on the lifter, then closing the action before loading up the tube. You still get max capacity and don't have to worry about any issues pulling the first round from the tube. After a few hundred rounds I stopped having the double feed issue. It just needed a little wearing in...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
During fire, the action is pushed back with considerable force.

Try pulling the charging handle back like you're mad at it and see if that helps. Mine had a tendency to double feed when trying to load the first round from the tube. I started locking the action back, dropping the first round on the lifter, then closing the action before loading up the tube. You still get max capacity and don't have to worry about any issues pulling the first round from the tube. After a few hundred rounds I stopped having the double feed issue. It just needed a little wearing in...
Yah I've tried racking the charging handle back hard!! When doing so some times it would lock the bolt back open as if the mag was empty when it was loaded full with 9 in the tube not sure why it did that. Yah I could do what your saying by loading one in the chamber sending it home and then loading the tube. But I want the SG to operate manually just in case I would need it to on an empty chamber. I guess I'll take it all down and clean it again then go and shoot the living hell out of it and see if it helps.

omegaman said:
Just changed the magazine spring and follower on my 930 SPX. I installed the Nordic EXT-SPRING-12-45 ($7.95) with their Red Hard Coat follower ($18.95). Ordered online Thursday and kit arrived Saturday!
The factory follower was less than great, and the magazine spring had deformed when it escaped the tube when I broke the gun down for initial cleaning.
A lot has been written about spring length on this and other boards. I get the theory about having the spring as long as possible, yet not being so long that it won't compress enough to allow all Seven 2 3/4" shells to load.
The prevailing word is to cut the spring about a foot to sixteen-inches longer than the end of the installed magazine extension. This is only the first of several cuts to the spring length.
The new Red Nordic follower was as slick in the tube as a greased piston, and the new spring was fed into the tube and secured with the extension with a snug fit.
Next, following the manufacturer's instructions, load the seven shells into the magazine tube. Likely you won't be able to get the last shell to fit. The spring is just too long. Unload the shells, and remove the extension and spring again. Cut 3-coils off and re-assemble. Try the seven shells again. Can you get all seven shells loaded ? If not, repeat the spring trim,
cutting 3-coils at a time until you can get all seven shells to load past the shell stop, plus about an 1/8 to 1/4-inch further compressable travel.
I used needle-nose pliers to cut the spring, and curl the trimmed ends inward slightly. Make sense?
The now shortened Nordic magazine spring is much shorter than the factory spring and is much easier to install.
Now waiting for the GG&G HK-style rear sling mount and a Specter 1-2 point sling to arrive.This just never ends!

So what was the final length of your magazine spring? I use the NC spring and follower and mine is cut to 25 inches but it's old so it's probably compressed a bit. I ordered NC and Wolff springs to do a comparison between the two. I get the impression that the Nordic spring is stronger based on the length I've cut those to and how long people have their Wolff springs cut. I've read people cutting their Wolff springs to 28" and still getting 7 in the magazine but I doubt I'd get 7 in the tube with a NC spring that long. We'll see.

Derbarbarian said:
Hey guy's so I got my 930 SPX out to clean it, still have yet to fire it, I couldn't quite remember how many it held, so I loaded it up with 12ga dummy rounds, I found it only held 4, plus one in the Chamber. I dug out the box and it clearly says 7+1, I took the end off of the magazine tube and there's nothing in there preventing it from being loaded up, I know some older shotguns had a dowel in the tubular magazine to prevent you from loading more than 3 or 4 shells. So I'm sorry for the "nooby" question, but to get it to hold the full 7+1 do I just need to replace the spring? the tube extends all for the full length of the barrel so it should be able to hold 7..

My two biggest problems I had with the 930 when I first bought it were the follower and spring. The follower felt like it tilted while loaded the first round, the spring was weak and it never felt smooth. The Nordic Components spring and follower I replaced them with have performed very well. Did you bend or damage the spring in some way? I had mine out for cleaning once, stepped on the spring and it wouldn't load into the magazine extension. I just had to replace the spring and it went back to normal. Make sure that your handguard is seated properly and that your extension is tightened down all the way. If you're still having issues, try replacing the spring and follower. I suggest the Nordic Components follower for resolving issues like this because the length of it doesn't allow it to tilt or get caught on the joint between the magazine and extension. It's only 1 3/16" long so there's no reason why it should be decreasing your magazine capacity. With an 18" shotgun, you'll have a bit less than 19" of total space in the magazine and fully loaded with 2 3/4" shells (2 1/4" unfired), you'll have 3" for the spring at the end of the tube. A hollow 1 3/16" long follower won't affect that.

Misery930 said:
omegaman said:

So what was the final length of your magazine spring? I use the NC spring and follower and mine is cut to 25 inches but it's old so it's probably compressed a bit. I ordered NC and Wolff springs to do a comparison between the two. I get the impression that the Nordic spring is stronger based on the length I've cut those to and how long people have their Wolff springs cut. I've read people cutting their Wolff springs to 28" and still getting 7 in the magazine but I doubt I'd get 7 in the tube with a NC spring that long. We'll see.

Derbarbarian said:
Hey guy's so I got my 930 SPX out to clean it, still have yet to fire it, I couldn't quite remember how many it held, so I loaded it up with 12ga dummy rounds, I found it only held 4, plus one in the Chamber. I dug out the box and it clearly says 7+1, I took the end off of the magazine tube and there's nothing in there preventing it from being loaded up, I know some older shotguns had a dowel in the tubular magazine to prevent you from loading more than 3 or 4 shells. So I'm sorry for the "nooby" question, but to get it to hold the full 7+1 do I just need to replace the spring? the tube extends all for the full length of the barrel so it should be able to hold 7..

My two biggest problems I had with the 930 when I first bought it were the follower and spring. The follower felt like it tilted while loaded the first round, the spring was weak and it never felt smooth. The Nordic Components spring and follower I replaced them with have performed very well. Did you bend or damage the spring in some way? I had mine out for cleaning once, stepped on the spring and it wouldn't load into the magazine extension. I just had to replace the spring and it went back to normal. Make sure that your handguard is seated properly and that your extension is tightened down all the way. If you're still having issues, try replacing the spring and follower. I suggest the Nordic Components follower for resolving issues like this because the length of it doesn't allow it to tilt or get caught on the joint between the magazine and extension. It's only 1 3/16" long so there's no reason why it should be decreasing your magazine capacity. With an 18" shotgun, you'll have a bit less than 19" of total space in the magazine and fully loaded with 2 3/4" shells (2 1/4" unfired), you'll have 3" for the spring at the end of the tube. A hollow 1 3/16" long follower won't affect that.

You know, I didn't measure the length after the final fitting. It started out at 16-inches beyond the end of the Choate extension and after removing about seven coils, all I cared about was that I could get all seven shells loaded without having to push hard on number seven. Each gun and each spring can vary slightly so the final length could differ by an inch or two. The feel of the new follower is night and day.
Well just for you, I took it apart to answer your question. Total spring length is 23-inches.

Brand new 930 Elevator problems

I just picked up a Brand new 930 Field combo. While loading rounds into the mag i have to depress the bolt release to get the elevator to move upwards to load each round into the magazine tube. Doesn't matter what position the bolt is in forward or back. I haven't even put one round through it yet. I haven't field stripped it yet, except swapping the barrels. Any suggestions?

Re: Odd 930 problem with 3" buckshot

Based on that info it is definitely related to the release system rather than the other items I mentioned… Another thing caught my attention – did it have this issue before you stretched the shell release spring??? You stated “I have stretched the shell release spring to .460 and it makes it cycle like a dream either by hand or by firing.”

Once you stretch a spring mechanically it degrades its stiffness coefficient which means it produces less force when compressed (and it will degrade with time since its elastic limit has been exceeded). I’m not sure of the mechanical dynamics during extraction/shell release on one of these SPX’s (really never looked at it on mine since it has always worked) – but it might have something to do with recoil impulse and the springs ability to propagate the impulse (stiff springs can transmit fast impact/high recoil energy where a soft spring cannot).

Edit - something else I was thinking. It could be your mag tube spring isn't stiff enough to push the next round from the tube under heavy recoil (inertial keeps the shell in the tube). I know I had an issue with the original Mossberg spring when I left it loaded for a week - it wouldn't drop a round from the tube. I changed to the Wolff spring and have never had that issue again.

Re: Brand new 930 Elevator problems

KHowdy Solidwire, welcome aboard.

Sorry to see you're having this issue. What you describe is definitely not normal. The 930 elevator is designed to lock in place with the bolt locked back, but it is supposed to move freely when the bolt is closed. At this point have you disassembled your 930 for cleaning and inspection. The cause could be as simple as grime and debris interfering with normal operation or something out of place from hasty assembly followed by poor quality control. If after takedown and cleaning the issue persists, then the likely cause is out of spec parts in which case we would suggest sending the weapon in to the Mossberg service center for inspection and repair. If it comes to that we can put you in touch with a rep. directly vs. having to go through their normal customer service channels. Good luck and keep us posted...

I haven't broken it down yet. I can see that the elevator is interfering with the bolt release. There is a clearance issue. I spoke with Roger who was worthless and repeatedly told me to contact budsguns and take the issue up with them. However buds didn't make the gun. Mossberg did and it left mossberg in this condition. I ended up contacting Joseph K and I sent him a video of its operation, hopefully they can correct this. This is my second mossberg. The other is a 500.

http://cp.mcafee.com/d/1jWVIedEIL9Ts73A ... tPtZZHPATM

Solidwire said:
I haven't broken it down yet. I can see that the elevator is interfering with the bolt release. There is a clearance issue. I spoke with Roger who was worthless and repeatedly told me to contact budsguns and take the issue up with them. However buds didn't make the gun. Mossberg did and it left mossberg in this condition. I ended up contacting Joseph K and I sent him a video of its operation, hopefully they can correct this. This is my second mossberg. The other is a 500.

http://cp.mcafee.com/d/1jWVIedEIL9Ts73A ... tPtZZHPATM

IMO Roger at Mossberg is worthless. I've owned Mossbergs for 11 years and until the last few years customer service WAS awesome, hands down. Since I've wasted my time speaking to Roger close to ten times and I'm done speaking to him. If you call and he answers ask for someone else or speak to HIS manager. I could go on about how I feel about him.

Since this is a brandnew gun I'd certainly send it in or exchange it. But I'd speak to Roger's boss.
Sounds to me that something may be behind the shell stop assembly. Take it out and clean well. If not I'd bend the shell stop until you can push the elevator and it has minimal clearance with the shell stop. I did this when I bought my used 935 and it's now an autoloading beast.

But other than cleaning out the shell stop assembly (if you felt like it) that's all I'd do before sending it back.

Here lately the shell stops have been causing issues across Mossberg's entire line, both autos and pumps. It's unfortunate to see that the problem is so wide-spread yet there has been virtually nothing done to address the issue. Please keep us posted, we hope you get it sorted out soon...

So I shot about another 100 rd through it and it still won't load the chamber on a full mag by hand if I load 6 shells it will load and ideas?

First time out, rough, too many failures

I took my 930 out and shot it today for the first time. I ran about 100 rounds through it. I ran about half 00 buck and half bird shot. The first time I shot it was buck shot. It failed on the fourth round. The round was out of the chamber but did not eject out of the gun causing a jam. I shot 14 rounds of buck shot with three failures. I was shooting Federal, Remington, Winchester and PMC. The PMC was the worst by far.

I shot about 80 more rounds and it seemed after about 50 rounds the gun was shooting reliably withe bird shot. I was even shooting Estate cheapy ammo with no jams. After about 80 rounds I started shooting the Buck shot again and had problems with Remington, Federal and PMC. The PMC again was worse. The problem with the spent shell was being pulled out of the chamber but not ejecting out the side and jamming the incoming round.

I forgot to clean the shotgun before I took it out. I figured I would have had more problems with the lower powered bird shot but the buckshot was way worse. Makes no sense. Both me and my son had failures.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Do you think it could have been gunked with cosmoline or something?

Thanks,
TC :oops:

Back